• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

QR Codes in the Sign Biz

J

john1

Our company started using QR codes some time ago.

Some people can dismiss QR codes as a fad, but I think they're here to stay in terms of uses like data on business cards. It's just super convenient to have one's full contact info digitized into a QR code. Someone with an Android phone, iPhone or Blackberry can scan it and instantly save all that contact info without having to manually key in the data. Nice!

I think the QR codes are a fun way to stick funny, tasteless or stupid messages on random objects around town. Anyone who sees a QR code stuck on a lamp post is going to be curious as to what data is held in it.

The only thing I fear with QR codes is scumbag criminals embedding viruses in them.

Wow, never thought about the virus thing. Yeah I'm sure someone has and is doing that.

I just added a QR to my new business cards that puts in my contact info including website into your smartphone when it's scanned. Figure that takes alot of "work" out of manually adding it in for my potential customers.

Locals Find!

I use QR codes on Everything. I have them on business cards, postcards, signs, you just about name it. I have also launched 3 new divisions to offer QR Code based products & services. Its been a blessing for my business. Helps me stay ahead of the competition.

Good job on the site btw I pulled it up on my Droid Ascend and while it came up large to begin with a simple double tap on my screen brought it right in line perfectly. Now just fix your links. Broken links are annoying. I know because, I am guilty of having a few too and people never cease to remind me everytime it happens.

Now you need an App too.

SAS

The app called "redlaser" works great, and is free.

I am in the process of designing graphics for a bar top at a local Chicago Cubs bar. I showed the owner my idea of placing QR codes in the graphics next to photos etc. that link to Wikipedia articles and Youtube videos. He loved it.

For example, any cubs fan knows the Steve Bartman 2003 incident, I have placed a QR code next to a picture on the bar so when patrons scan the code, they actually get to see the famous incident in a video. I have also placed a QR code next to Harry Caray's photo that links to a youtube video of him singing "take me out to the ballgame" in a game from the 90's.

I think that's a cool idea but what if the video you are linking to is removed then you will have dead links or qr codes on the tables. I guess the owner of the club could save all the videos in his own youtube account that way he can insure they will be there.

iSign

Thanks Jon!

Addie, did you follow Jon's link & see the real estate specific blog post about QR codes.

http://www.thebvasconnection.com/738/best-uses-of-qr-codes-on-your-yard-signs/

Note the reference in the "recommended resources" section, to vyoo.it

I went there http://vyoo.it/ and it turns out you can sign up through Facebook, which took seconds… and then there service has some affiliation with postlets & I have used that service for my rental…

so, I logged in and in a few short minutes, vyoo.it made me a qr code that went to a phone formatted version of my postlets ad!!

The URL they provided me will go to the regular postlets ad on my computer,
but on my phone it 's all tweaked to a smartphone version!

I thought it was really cool how fast easy and FREE it was to get this result.
I thought might want to check it out!!

The downside for the rest of us is they also offer very cheap QR code decals & sign riders...

Try entering this URL on a phone if you can:
http://vyoo.it/thnd2

...the results on my phone have perfectly laid out tabs for the "home" page of my postlets ad info, or "photos" for the additional pics I uploaded to that ad, and "map" to instantly bring up the google map results!

Custom_Grafx

After trying to talk several people into QR codes, I finally got someone interested and I'm actually laser etching them onto 1.6mm brush silver plastic laminate.

They are only 1 inch square - and will be put on fancy display casings, along with other etched plaques.

The only other chance I got to use one, was for my brother's business card, which I hooked up to his youtube channel at his request.