• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question for users of Grimco's KEY banner material...

FatCat

Long time user of KEY banner from Grimco - 13oz gloss primarily. Just got a new box of 54", noticed it no longer comes in the round cardboard tube, but a box with plastic cores, much like vinyl. Also noticed it feels flimsier and thinner than the previous version.

FWIW - I ran a 4x10 banner this morning on the old stuff, then another 4x10 on the new stuff and it feels much different.

Anyone else noticed this? :help

Cale Frederick

We use Key banner, but I have not noticed any difference in it so far. Although we only use the matte. Think it might be possible that they sent you a roll of K2 banner? It is a new line of Key banner they carry with a much lower denier count.

FatCat

We use Key banner, but I have not noticed any difference in it so far. Although we only use the matte. Think it might be possible that they sent you a roll of K2 banner? It is a new line of Key banner they carry with a much lower denier count.

Hmm, I will go look at the box - but I know it says KEY on the side. Will be right back.
*NOPE - clearly marked KEY Banner, 13oz gloss.

Mosh

I just got two rolls last week when it was on sale. Same thing, in a box and seems thinner.

Cale Frederick

I just went and checked an unopened box of 36" matte that we had got in a box and it does seem just a little bit thinner... Have you noticed any print difference? Thinner material might have effects on heat settings. We used Key for a long time and then swapped to ultraflex jetflex 13oz. matte. Swapped back to key after Grimco rep came by and gave me a good price and have still been pleased with the product so far. Curious to see how it prints though.

FatCat

I just went and checked an unopened box of 36" matte that we had got in a box and it does seem just a little bit thinner... Have you noticed any print difference? Thinner material might have effects on heat settings. We used Key for a long time and then swapped to ultraflex jetflex 13oz. matte. Swapped back to key after Grimco rep came by and gave me a good price and have still been pleased with the product so far. Curious to see how it prints though.

No, not seeing any issues with printing - just the overall feel and characteristics are "lacking" vs. the old stuff.

I talked to my local Grimco branch and am sending them samples of the old stock and the new. They supposedly haven't heard anything about this...uh-huh. :wink:

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Lol Key Banner is an imported item and as much as they think its consistant its probably been switched at the manufacturer level and they probably never informed Grimco but hopefully it still prints good for ya as I see this happen on just about every container that comes in. Im sure they didnt send it out knowingly though.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Well...Key banner in a box vs the tube....big difference right there. I dont think Grimco packages it itself when it comes in the container from overseas. We used to get key...but had issues with consistency of the denier and printability on our 3360s at the time. Switched back to Ultraflex and the problems went away.

Cale Frederick

We only run ultraflexx here. I was doing to try Key Banner as I've been told it is UltraFlexx.

I just stick with what works.

I too was told that Key Banner was Ultraflex... Or at least manufactured under the same roof. Grimco rep did not confirm... But he also did nothing to deny this statement. He more than likely did more "not denying" than anything though as I'm sure it makes for a good selling tool if people are thinking it is the same as jet flex.

Mosh

My first thought was shipping...UPS hate round stuff.
I really think this stuff is thinner after looking at it.... I am calling in the morn.

Richard G

I just got some 54" in and it's still in the tube, hope they don't change, The tube is great for concrete post pours!!!!!

HulkSmash

Long time user of KEY banner from Grimco - 13oz gloss primarily. Just got a new box of 54", noticed it no longer comes in the round cardboard tube, but a box with plastic cores, much like vinyl. Also noticed it feels flimsier and thinner than the previous version.

FWIW - I ran a 4x10 banner this morning on the old stuff, then another 4x10 on the new stuff and it feels much different.

Anyone else noticed this? :help

They could be sending you some tru-stock. (proveers house brand)
It's flimsier.. and comes in the box... maybe they're trying to get those out of there.. so they're selling them as key....? They better not.

FatCat

They could be sending you some tru-stock. (proveers house brand)
It's flimsier.. and comes in the box... maybe they're trying to get those out of there.. so they're selling them as key....? They better not.

Nope this box is clearly labeled "KEY" and the inside of the tube has a decal with "KEY" 13 oz gloss. I wish it weren't so, but if this is what KEY banner is and will be from now on, I'm looking elsewhere. (This was the main reason I switched to KEY from Grimco and stopped buying PEAK from Fellers because it felt thin and weak, even though it's rated as a 13 oz scrim.)

FatCat

talked to grimco. Same material..just in a box for easier shipping..

C'mon, would you expect them to say anything different? :wink:

No really, this stuff is different - WAY different. Just mailed my samples to my local branch and we'll see what they say.

FatCat

UPDATE:

OK, just got off the phone with my local branch rep who has told me this is not an isolated incident. I had sent him samples last Friday of a piece of old stock, vs. the new material. Apparently, a mistake was made at the manufacturer and the stuff I and many others have gotten is the new K2 material, which is their new economy 13oz.

Fortunately, my Grimco rep has offered to replace the roll of 54" and also 2 unopened rolls of 38" with the correct material. (I hope.) Obviously disappointed that this happened, but pleased that Grimco is stepping up to the plate and making this right for me, and I hope anyone else affected.

Last edited:

FatCat

OK, ONE MORE UPDATE...

Talked again with my rep who was originally going to replace these with the "right" material. Unfortunately they're giving me a credit now because all of the new stock he was told was "in spec" from the manufacturer. Grrr, looks like now I get to search out a new supply of banner materials cause this isn't going to fly with me. So just a note to everyone else that uses KEY from Grimco, you're basically going to be getting the equivalent of 10-11 oz banner and still pay for 13oz.

Anyone have suggestions on a good quality 13oz scrim similar to Ultraflex or what KEY used to be? *Obviously shipping is a concern if coming from out of state....