• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ready to hire a designer

juan45215

I can't take it any more. Spending 3-4 hours per day designing and sending proofs. I'm ready to bite the bullet and hire someone.
Put an ad on craigslist and got about 40 replies.
My question is should I save money and hire a kid right out of art school for about $9 an hour or pay more money and get someone with real world experience?

Billct2

I say sub it out. There are couple good designers right hre who work via email.
That way you don't have to spend 3 or 4 hours training someone new to do 3 or 4 hours work and on ther hand you're not sweating a big paycheck for someon with experience when times are slow.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If you get frustrated with 3-4 hours of designing, imagine how frustrating it is baby sitting a newbie for 8 hours...

Depends on what type of sign work you do...

CheapVehicleWrap

You should be able to get cheaper than 9.00 hr.
Of course your reputation and quality will suffer.
I think you already know the answer.

Jillbeans

:)
I have 27 years sign experience, only about 14 with computery stuff, and just 8 years of Corel.
But I do OK and I think I'm affordable.
Basic layouts are my forté.
There are also some other really good guys on here like Neato and John Deaton.
Love...Jill

TammieH

Not sure why you need to hire someone to design signs, hire a general sign person. Unless you are burnt out designing, or if you do not have time because you are also the main salesperson. If you feel you need to hire a sign designer, I would get some one with experience. My experience is that most people who have a design background are usually not happy in the sign biz, so the chance of them staying for more than a year or so is extremely low.

HulkSmash

Not sure why you need to hire someone to design signs, hire a general sign person. Unless you are burnt out designing, or if you do not have time because you are also the main salesperson. If you feel you need to hire a sign designer, I would get some one with experience. My experience is that most people who have a design background are usually not happy in the sign biz, so the chance of them staying for more than a year or so is extremely low.

^ not true, at all.

SignManiac

Completely wrong. I've been in the sign business thirty eight years full time and the only thing that has kept me going is design.

juan45215

I guess I should clarify. I don't have 8 hours a day in design work. This person will also help my sign tech and my screen printer when not designing.
That's one reason I didn't want to go the sub out route.

J

john1

sub it out to some of the great members here.

I know neato does some great work at a fair price. Deaton does great work as well.

I heard today that a local sign shop is charging $800 per hour to design work so make sure you find out your designers costs up front LOL

cdiesel

We've not had much luck with design school people.. I didnt' go to design school, so I'm not sure what they teach there, but much of it doesn't apply to what we do.

What do you do mostly? Signs & banner? Wraps? Printing or mostly cut vinyl?

Rick

I don't think she is wrong at all... Notice how she says "most"

I too believe MOST "graphic designers" want to be web/print/agency (whatever that is)/design firm designers. I have worked at many sign shops, and regular mop and pop sign shop design is fwiggin boring as shweeze. I left because of money, creative control and mostly, room to grow. Most of my design friends are from the 8 shops I worked for and they are gone from their jobs I met them at.

If the pay is low, I believe MOST designers will leave a 9 dollar an hour job for a 10-12 dollar an hour job... if there is some amount of creativity and room to grow, they may leave for less.

cdiesel

MOST "sign shops" can't afford a "designer". They can afford someone who can do basic design. And honestly, that's normally sufficient for what most "sign shops" do.

Rick

MOST "sign shops" can't afford a "designer". They can afford someone who can do basic design. And honestly, that's normally sufficient for what most "sign shops" do.

Exactly... thats why when your designer tops out creatively and pay, he/she may want to fly.

BobM

I can't take it any more. Spending 3-4 hours per day designing and sending proofs. I'm ready to bite the bullet and hire someone.
Put an ad on craigslist and got about 40 replies.
My question is should I save money and hire a kid right out of art school for about $9 an hour or pay more money and get someone with real world experience?

I hear you about design frustration. I send everything I can to Jill here on :signs101:. Great designs, fast, inexpensive, everything you can ask of a designer. When a customer poses a problem, I feel great about saying "let me check with my designer". Jill just has a natural feel for good design. Give her a try.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.

+1 I would still hire someone who is creative and knows HOW to design but for 9 an hour make sure they want to work, know how to walk and chew bubble gum so to speak when it comes to doing design work and spend a few days training someone on how you want things done.