• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Reducing Nodes in Corel 12

Jillbeans

...or...No 1 Nodes 1 (NE meet joke)
When putting on a contour onto any font (or object) in Corel 12, I get a bazillion nodes. It doesn't matter if it's a plain font or a fancy script. It even does this on a circle. Although I do not cut from Corel, I can see that this would be a nightmare to plot.

Because I am still on GA6.2, I make combined outline/drop shadow effects in Corel then import into the Gerber. It's so much easier than node editing in Gerber. But then there are the bazillion nodes.

Is there a way to reduce the nodes without manually deleting each one?
Or do I just need to learn Omega?
:thankyou:
Love....Jill

Attachments

• nodes.jpg
    nodes.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 102

Shovelhead

I don't have all of those nodes Jill.
I'll assume that you are using the latest update for that typeface?
I'm using X4. Maybe that's the reason.

signage

Jill Corel does have a node reduction slider! You have to select all the nodes then move the slider!

Jillbeans

Yup, it's the latest. But it doesn't matter which font.
Like I said, it even does this on a damn circle.
Gonna call you, Brian.
Thanks.

SignManiac

No way around it except for the node slider bar as noted above. Select your circle,square,letter then hit F10 drag your marquee around every node and then either select the reduce nodes on your menu bar (doesn't seem to reduce by very much) or use the slider bar which will reduce a lot. Be careful not to over reduce or you may suffer from Over Reduction Distortion Syndrome, or ORDS as it's referred to in the medical industry.

Shovelhead

A good tip would be to copy and paste your graphic and use the original as a template as to not over do the node reduction.

Rodi

That is a lot of nodes, are the fonts primarily TT or PS or what? I used to use this great little program called letraStudio, but it did that same thing, I spent hours cleaning up in Illustrator so I just stopped using it. An upgrade to X3 or X4 then down saving to Corel 12 for GA??

Shovelhead

That is a lot of nodes, are the fonts primarily TT or PS or what? I used to use this great little program called letraStudio, but it did that same thing, I spent hours cleaning up in Illustrator so I just stopped using it. An upgrade to X3 or X4 then down saving to Corel 12 for GA??

OT

Jillbeans

The font is open type. But it doesn't matter what kind of font, it does this on everything.
I talked to Brian and wrote down what he said.
I did hit the F10 like Bob said and I can see the slider but it is greyed out and only the thing that looks like a gumband (elastic) and the fifth thing over from the left are useable.
Here's another screen shot, featuring a script that's ttf, an open type font, and plain old Avant Garde that I just typed in to show how it even adds nodes to something real simple.
:thankyou:

Attachments

• nodes2.jpg
    nodes2.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 95

Joe Diaz

Jill select the button to the left of the slider, called "select all nodes" It will auto select all the nodes, then you can use the slider. You can also use the shape tool (f10) and select all the nodes manually by dragging a selection box over the nodes you want. You have to have the nodes selected so that they are highlighted blue before you can reduce the nodes.

We, here at our shop, have noticed that the node reduction slider is better in some versions of Corel then other. We really like it X3 and it was great in 9, but it was terrible in 12 for whatever reason. When we were using 12, we kept version 9 installed just for that feature. But they seemed to have improved it since then. In newer versions there is also the "Reduce Nodes" button located next to the slider. I usually try using that first then fine tuning with the slider.

Checkers

Another tip is to use an outline then "convert outline to object". You don't get nearly as many nodes, but you'll still may need to do some editing.

Checkers

ChiknNutz

I noticed that when I went from v12 to v13 (X3) that the # of nodes generated was far reduced. Still to reduce the nodes, first use the Shape Tool (F10), choose the Select All Nodes icon (to do this quickly anyway), then hit the Reduce Nodes icon which is now available after selecting the nodes.

Jillbeans

Joe, you nailed it.
I tried what you said and voilà.
I am going to also use Brian's suggestion from our phone conversation and outline each letter individually.
Not that I will ever need to cut from Corel but those nodes were a pain!
Thanks to everyone, I know I am thicker than most and I really appreciate your patience and help.