• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Regulations on wraps

I was talking to one of the town inspectors this morning, he was saying that my neighboring town of Cary, NC is now requiring all wrapped vehicles to park behind the business which owns them.

Anyone else heard of this or have a similar regulations?

~Chris

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have, for quite some time, expected local government to begin regulating vehicle graphics. But the manner in which you state it makes little sense.

• As stated, they would only be regulating wraps and not the more classic vehicle lettering.
  • They would be requiring wrapped vehicles to be out of sight when parked but unregulated when in use.
  • There is no apparent provision for an alternative if no "behind the building" parking space is available.
  • There is no apparent attempt to regulate the square footage or the content, as well as any attempt to collect permit fees.

I fully expect that over the next five to ten years we will see vehicle graphics come under regulation in most locales. Vehicles use the public right of ways and are, thus, an easy and obvious target for regulation and taxation.

Our city already has regulations concerning wraps. This is from our city sign code under prohibited signs:

(20) Vehicle signs with a total sign area on any vehicle in excess of ten square feet,
when the vehicle:
a. Is parked for more than 60 consecutive minutes within 100 feet of any street right-ofway;
b. Is visible from the street right-of-way and is within 100 feet of such right-of-way; and
c. Is not regularly used in the conduct of the business advertised on the vehicle. A
vehicle used primarily for advertising, or for the purpose of providing transportation for
owners or employees of the occupancy advertised on the vehicle, shall not be considered
a vehicle used in the conduct of the business.

They have already stoped one of my customers from wraping his vehicle.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, one thing for sure.......

You have enough people wrapping their vehicles that its caused your local codes and inspector people to become concerned.

Either you have a lot of eye sores down there creating this neighborhood concern to start regulating it..... or business is booming in this field.

Like Fred said... to be fair, it will have to include ALL types of lettering and techniques, so it's only a matter of time before buses, large trucks and other types of vehicles start creating a codes area for getting this service done, but until then.... try to change your inspector's mind by telling him it will greatly effect your business if they start getting permits for these things, also. I remember not so long ago when you didn't have to get permits for lettering windows.... or even walls. First one borough or city does it and then it spreads like wildfire throughout the region. Yuck !!

onesource

Greed, nothing more. I say run them and challenge them until there is a supreme court ruling, otherwise they should leave well enough alone.

I live in and work in Morrisville which is next door to Cary. As far as the local government my wife and I try to stay involved with the local politics and there are no plans currently or in the foreseeable future to regulate wraps.

I try and keep up with the current regulations in the neighboring towns but that's something I don't have the time or patience to do consistently.

I'll have to call Cary's town inspector and find out the current regulations. I quickly looked through the town's website and couldn't find anything.

~Chris

rcook99

You can try to beat them in court! But keep this in mind, here in NYS our code is the bible but cities can make a more stringent code than what is in the NYS code book. So you may win for now but may end up losing in the long run.

CheapVehicleWrap

What next? What color car you can drive? If you look at the broad picture, you may not think it's just about lousy permits but rather 1 more nail for the gov to crush us ALL like grapes. It's no secret they want NO business whatsoever.

G-Artist

Finishline Signs, that's interesting.

A clear reading of that should not preclude anyone from wrapping.

The weasel clause at the end just about covers it. Seems like the ordinance is aimed at someone who buys an old box truck, slaps ad graphics on it and leaves it parked 24/7/365. Folks do that when they have exhausted their alloted building sq. footage and/or where all their signage is flat against the bldg. and is parallel to traffic and not noticeable until a dead-on approach.

I doubt that the political subdivision could preclude a business owner from parking their own vehicle, wrapped or not, from in front of their establishment. And what of customers who have wrapped vehicles who linger longer than 60 minutes?

I suspect that ain't going to fly for long.

Did your C of C weigh in on the issue yet?

And did you have a chat with city attorney as to exactly what that ordinance means and is intended for? Go to the source and bypass the code enforcement folks as they rarely get it correct....lol.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
Vehicle graphics have been around practically since the invention of the automobile.
HOA's have been regulating it for a long time but most city sign ordanances I come across seem to have stipulations making sure the vehicle is in everyday use.
A local strip mall has banned the tenants from having wrapped vehicles in their parking lot. One of my customers (we wrapped their Hummer) passed over leasing a location that strip mall because of their policy. 6 months later it is still vacant.

Finishline Signs, that's interesting.

A clear reading of that should not preclude anyone from wrapping.

The weasel clause at the end just about covers it. Seems like the ordinance is aimed at someone who buys an old box truck, slaps ad graphics on it and leaves it parked 24/7/365. Folks do that when they have exhausted their alloted building sq. footage and/or where all their signage is flat against the bldg. and is parallel to traffic and not noticeable until a dead-on approach.

I doubt that the political subdivision could preclude a business owner from parking their own vehicle, wrapped or not, from in front of their establishment. And what of customers who have wrapped vehicles who linger longer than 60 minutes?

I suspect that ain't going to fly for long.

Did your C of C weigh in on the issue yet?

And did you have a chat with city attorney as to exactly what that ordinance means and is intended for? Go to the source and bypass the code enforcement folks as they rarely get it correct....lol.

This came up because one of my customers had mounted a 2' x 6' sign in the bed of his truck. The city code enforcement officer stopped by his business and told him that he would have to remove it. He was not very happy about this. He told her he would just have it put directly on his truck and she informed him that it had to be less than 10 sqft total to be legal. The next morning he called her back and asked why places like Uhaul could park the vehicles next to the road and she said she would have to check on that. He told her that the she would have to get back with him on that. He informed her that she could talk to his lawyer. She did call him back that afternoon to tell him that the sign in the back of his truck was ok. To my knowledge this is the only incident of this but they will try again and get away with it if the next person doesn't have the guts to stand up to them.

Techman

They always try this trick. ITs some inspector trying out his or her authority. But if we read teh ordinance they do not have the authority to make us moce teh vehicles. I already went thru this with my trailer and won it to.

It was licensed tagged and insured as a vehicle and they cannot force us to move or hide our vehicles. Like the above post,, if uhaul can do it we all can do it. ITs pretty wrong to try to regulate a work vehicle.

kstompaint

try to change your inspector's mind by telling him it will greatly effect your business if they start getting permits for these things, also.
Gino, have you ever met a bureaucrat who gives a damn about any business? I haven't. They're all about asserting their "power." Regulations and permits have gotten out of hand with regard to more than just signage and vehicle graphics. It's getting ridiculous. Personal freedom and private property rights are diminishing by the day.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Same thing here in California, Some people who take their vehicle home also deal with CC&R's and have to cover or garage their vehicle. One shop I do work for is constantly hassled about their shop van and truck, they might move them around the parking lot during the day. (there is not area in the back of the building to park it.)

There are other regulations, at least in this state, like of you are advertising a building contractors business or specialty you have to have your contractors license on the vehicle.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, have you ever met a bureaucrat who gives a damn about any business? I haven't. They're all about asserting their "power." Regulations and permits have gotten out of hand with regard to more than just signage and vehicle graphics. It's getting ridiculous. Personal freedom and private property rights are diminishing by the day.

I guess I should've phrased that a little different.

Get on your local boards, join in committees and speak your piece. Be a part of voting on these things. Become known in your area and people will start to listen... as long as you make sense. You won't get everything changed, but it's a start and you'll be amazed at how much influence a professional can have on some of these boards.

I've been on a few over the years..... and after some struggles.... I've gotten a lot of things done my way and had ridiculous rules thrown out over the years. I was also on a 'Historical Committee' for various sections of our town years ago and had quite a few contributions introduced and accepted.

Rooster

Seems like the ordinance is aimed at someone who buys an old box truck, slaps ad graphics on it and leaves it parked 24/7/365

I would expect this to be the reasoning for this rule being put into effect. I see many farmers in my area that have parked abandoned trucks with ads on them at the side of the highway. It's unsightly and is taking advantage of the gray area that vehicle wraps create in signage regulations.

kstompaint

I see many farmers in my area that have parked abandoned trucks with ads on them at the side of the highway. It's unsightly and is taking advantage of the gray area that vehicle wraps create in signage regulations.
Unsightly or not, these regulations remove the freedom of people to do as they choose with their own private property. I feel the same way about "historical district" rules, "highway beautification act," local signage restrictions, etc.

I had it out with Pennsylvania DOT over the sign at my shop because the area "doesn't appear to be commercial or industrial" due to the building not being visible from the road. Their intention was to make me remove the sign and not allow me to replace it. Screw them, it's my ground and I'll do with it as I please.

Any restrictions on vehicle graphics are even more intrusive.