• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Remembering 9/11

AUTO-FX

God bless the victims of 9/11, may a tragic event like that never occur again on the face of our planet.
I remember I was working at my computer on a reproduction of an old mopar stripe kit. I was watching events unfold on CNN.
I went out to an old light pole out front and raised an American flag. I will never forget that day. Very sad.
Do you remember where you were and what you were doing?

WildWestDesigns

God bless the victims of 9/11, may a tragic event like that never occur again on the face of our planet.
I remember I was working at my computer on a reproduction of an old mopar stripe kit. I was watching events unfold on CNN.
I went out to an old light pole out front and raised an American flag. I will never forget that day. Very sad.
Do you remember where you were and what you were doing?

My dad has another tragic event that happens every year on this day, although it was long before the twin towers.

This was the day that he and my mom got married in '67.

Craig Sjoquist

Just remembers I was at Mr Quick restaurant that morning, I had finish breakfast when the news broke the first plane had hit. I raced home to watched the news, short time later the 2nd plane an the news went on, then when the towers started to fall I knew war was next and I broke down.
It is very hard to watch this memorial today reading of the names. God Bless America.

mortil

will never forget it. it was about lunch here and i was at my job sitting eating and playing UFO on my PALM PDA (you know ufo when you shoot down buildings and stuff)
very unreal and wierd moment there..

"Deposit Please"

I was land clearing for a new construction site outside chicago when i got a call from my girlfriend. She told me about a plane hitting one of the buildings. Right away, i thought it was a cesna or a small plane similar in size. Then, she calls me a second time and says........a big passenger plane hit the second tower. After that call, i packed my stuff and headed home. I turned on the tv to watch the news and saw replays of the second plane hitting the tower. Always Being fascinated with large passenger planes, i knew it was a 767 .....and 767's are very large passenger planes w/ tons of fuel. Just the shear size of the twin towers made that plane look small. That day is so fresh in my mind, it feels like yesturday. I can't believe it's been 10 years.
I don't think the new memorial could've been designed any better...waterfalls on the very footprint where the buildings stood and names of all the victims. the designer did an awesome job. ............"God bless everyone"

qmr55

Crazy thing is I visited the towers exactly 1 week prior to the tragedy.

I was in 4th grade when this happen! I can only remember our principle came over the PA systems saying there has been a terrible tragedy to our country and that every teacher has permission to turn the TV on to channel 10 news. At the time it was very hard to comprehend for a 9 year old what was going on! I remember they allowed our parents to come pick us up and my mom did, and on the way home I was asking question after question trying to figure out what was going on! What a sad day.

The they just did country wide, was amazing. Gave me the chills. It was great watching after all the football stadiums broad casted it, the stadiums burst with chants of "USA USA USA". Those who gave their lives 10 years ago today will never be forgotten. 9/11/01

:wavingflag: :wavingflag: :wavingflag: :wavingflag: :wavingflag: :wavingflag: :wavingflag: :wavingflag: :wavingflag:

Joe Diaz

My oldest brother, works for a company that had offices on the 93rd to 100th floor when the planes hit. When it all went down I was in school, I immediately thought of him. He lives and works in Chicago, but as a VP (at the time) he traveled to NYC a lot. Luckily for our family ten years ago to this day he wasn't there. Unfortunately over 300 of his coworkers never made it out. Bill was scheduled to be there later that week or the week after. One of his friends who had just gotten back from his honeymoon was one of the 2,977 victims that day.

I also immediately though of my other older brother when it became apparent that this was an attack. He was in the guard at the time. I thought he would surely be going to war. A feeling I wouldn't wish on any younger brother. As much as I wanted to see the bastards that did this go down, I didn't want to see him in harms way. Ben would later be called up. Fortunately for all of us he was sent to Germany to guard one our air bases.

It's times like 9-11 when you really start to think long and hard about the many things we take for granted. Our family, friends, our freedoms. I certainly will never forget.

iSign

Good posts everyone! Very palpable memories Joe...

Was just reading one of the original threads in Letterville 10 years ago... raw emotions there...

"Deposit Please"

9/11

Retired firefighter wanted to honor and commemorate this day, and any other, to those who served and lost their lives. :wavingflag:

Attachments

• 911.jpg
    911.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 63

Border

One of my nieces met her now husband that day...She and many other people spent a couple of days at his apartment, by chance, because they had nowhere else to stay or go while trying to walk out of Manhattan. We were all so worried for 2-3 days because we could not get in touch with her via her cell phone or other normal means and knowing she was right there when it all went down. I was just there visiting her one month prior on August 11th with my [then] young daughter. We took a panoramic photo of the New York Skyline from the Statue of Liberty on 8-11-01. My Niece and the guy she met that day now have 2 kids together! I think it's important to also remember the positive things that come from such horrific events. She met a really great guy because of this, who is now a part of my family!

BobM

My son Scott had taken that flight boston to LA 3 times that summer and was scheduled to take it again on 9/11. I friend of his in LA called and invited him to visit. My son went two days early or would have been on that flight. What a sick and empty feeling I had trying to remember if Scott had changed his plans or not that morning. What a relief when I finally got him on his cell phone and he was OK. I can't imagine the pain the survivors left behind experiance everyday.

Marlene

some of the channels like Bio did a nice job of the memories of that horrible day. every time I see those planes hit the buildings, the feelings are just overwhelming. in those few seconds, so many lives were lost. we lost so much that day and it is still hard to wrap your head around it. the waterfalls in the footprints of the towers is such a beautiful way to remember those who were lost. one one of the shows I watched last night, they showed a pear tree that survived the towers coming down. the tree was moved while the clean up went on and in 2010, high winds knocked it down but it lived thru that too. it is scarred and damaged from 9/11 but has new growth that has happened since. one man fought to get the tree re-planted at the site.

Dave Drane

It was 6am here before I knew. It was 10.45pm our time when the first plane hit. Unforgettable images, but one good thing is that Bin Laden didn't get to see the anniversary. I have had this design on my van since the first week it happened.:Australia:brittain::wavingflag:

Attachments

• SN156839.jpg
    SN156839.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 63

Signs 365

It's hard to believe its been 10 years. I'm dating myself but I was a freshman in High School. My Uncle worked in the South Tower in the area where the first plane went in (I dont remember the actual floor). We didn't hear from him until the next morning because of all the commotion going on in NY. An ex Marine, we were worried he stayed to help and died a hero. Fortunately, he was late for work that morning...he was never late. I guess it wasn't his time. He lost many friends that day and he has never been the same since. God Bless everybody involved or affected.

Spud Murphy

We talk about the bravery of police officers and firemen, and brave men they are without exception. One thing that sticks in my mind from Sept 11 is that all of the police officers and staff evacuated the Justice Center in Cleveland, leaving the prisoners and detained in their cells.

charissabuskirk

I'll date myself as well... I was in 2nd period gym, outside, senior year when the first plane hit. We didn't hear about it until after the bell rang for the next class. Everyone was talking in the hall, teachers looked very nervous and scared, some were even crying. The principal had informed the teachers to NOT talk about it, go about class like normal; except my 3rd period teacher was from NY with family there working in the Trade Center. This is the part that I'll forget... he walked in, turned on the TV, turned down the lights, faced us in tears and said this was something we all needed to see...

My, at that time, boyfriend's mother was booked on the United 93 flight... she had changed it the night before because she wanted to avoid traffic to the airport.

Mike F

It was junior year of high school for me, I was in spanish class when I first heard, not sure what time it was. The school wouldn't let the teachers put the TVs on so I pretty much got bits and pieces as things were unfolding until I got home. Don't remember much besides that, other than my then-girlfriend bitching because TRL wasn't on MTV.