• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

roller banding

jiarby

On a 1604 Mutoh, 24" 651.

I print on regular 651 all the time without any problems but today I am seeing imprints where the roller wheels touch the vinyl.

I'm thinking that a lower pre heater setting might work?

Attachments

• mutoh-stripes.jpg
    mutoh-stripes.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 268

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
Maybe you need new dampers or a capping station... Now that that is out of the way.

Have you recently cleaned your pinches with some sort of conditioner and its getting on the vinyl? That is pretty odd..

Graphics2u

On a 1604 Mutoh, 24" 651.

I print on regular 651 all the time without any problems but today I am seeing imprints where the roller wheels touch the vinyl.

I'm thinking that a lower pre heater setting might work?

I experience that quite frequently on my Falcon II outdoor. Turning down the preheat and the platen heat will help. I wish there was a solution to this. Some times when I put on a roll of banner material the first 5 or 6 feet will have those roller marks then it will go away. Also experienced this with less expensive Glossy vinyls. Doesn't seen to happen with the matte material.

rockz12

Specializing in the strange and unusual
Could it be stale media? I have never had any experiences and am not sure what happens to stale media. Does the Solvent receptive coating start breaking down? 24" is kind of an odd roll size.

jiarby

It's a plain old roll of 50' Oracal White 651. Not intended for solvent printing... I know. The roll is a couple weeks old.

I just printed a bunch of 3651 without any problem. It ran out (new one coming tomorrow) so I wanted to finish this job (a bunch of 24x18's) on the 651.

Bad nozzle banding would show all across the width of the print... not just where the pinch rollers are.

Compilla

I've seen the same roller marks with 3951G, try to low the pre & after heater.

Have you clean /inspect the rollers ? They may be DIRTY, warped or craked, my buddy had to replace his, they were cracked.

Could be also Environmental :

If your media has been exposed to temperatures/humidities outside the manufacturer’s recommended operating environment, it is a good idea to acclimate the media to the operating environment 24 to 48 hours prior to using it.

Last edited:

jiarby

The rollers look pristine, the printer is 6 months old. Plus if the rollers were bad it would do this on every roll... the 3651 we had just finished off was fine. I'm going to wait and finish this job on the 3651 when it comes in this afternoon then fiddle with pre heaters & platen heaters. The roll of 651 has been in the shop about three weeks. We've printed on this same roll before without issue a few days ago.

Compilla

The rollers look pristine, .

I will clean the rollers anyways with foam tip applicator and denatured alcohol.

Some media types have the tendency to release certain substances onto the printer pressure rollers.
When frequently changing media type, this sometimes causes marks onto the printed media as the pressure rollers again release the substance on other media.

gabagoo

My Mimaki will do that with the photo paper, but in those cases I know it actually needs more heat and the preheat has to be lower than the print heat. As noted here my lines diasapear after about 8 inches and it usually happens on lighter colours. I don't get it very often if at all on vinyl.

randya

I will clean the rollers anyways with foam tip applicator and denatured alcohol.

Some media types have the tendency to release certain substances onto the printer pressure rollers.
When frequently changing media type, this sometimes causes marks onto the printed media as the pressure rollers again release the substance on other media.

Non inkjet medias contain higher levels of plasticizer, which can migrate to the surface causing interference with proper ink bonding into the vinyl. This can be seen as banding, pin holes, and in worst cases large splotchy areas that either will not accept ink or look as if they layed in water causing fuzzy areas.
This same plasticizer can be transfered to the pinch rollers, and then on to other rolls of media.

Higher heats can help, sometimes, but you are right, alcohol should do the trick. And it may take more than one cleaning, and certain more than one applicator to keep from just spreading it around, once it becomes a problem.

Compilla

Non inkjet medias contain higher levels of plasticizer, which can migrate to the surface causing interference with proper ink bonding into the vinyl. This can be seen as banding, pin holes, and in worst cases large splotchy areas that either will not accept ink or look as if they layed in water causing fuzzy areas.
This same plasticizer can be transfered to the pinch rollers, and then on to other rolls of media.

randya Thanks for clarifying that!

randya

You're welcome,

By non-inkjet media, I was speaking of cutting vinyls primarily. That extra plasticizer gives it that long outdoor life and makes is softer and more pliable.

Silicone sprays, WD40, shop oils from compressors and air tools can mist through the room and cause similar issues.

Trimtint

our 1604 does it on 651 also who cares if its not "digital media" For quality Ive never had a prob. A fingerprint here or there ill accept for being able to do small runs for people. We found the sweet spot and can run 15". gives us aprx 11" print space if contour cutting. Hell we had a roll of clear 651 that we used as a laminate for a bunch of stickers. They were FAT real thick but still look great.

Snapper

jiarby

I am still getting this... thought a bump might be in order.

New picture... to kill the plasticizer conspiract theorist. This is on 63" roll of Jetflex Banner Scrim (made for printing)

Randy... I am looking for the alcohol to hit the rollers, just in case you are right!

Attachments

• PinchRollerMarks.JPG
    PinchRollerMarks.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 179

jc1cell

I am still getting this... thought a bump might be in order.

New picture... to kill the plasticizer conspiract theorist. This is on 63" roll of Jetflex Banner Scrim (made for printing)

Your images displays the exact same issue I was having a few days ago. For some reason my rollers were showing the tracking on my prints.

What I did to solve this was to first clean them with flush fluid to remove all ink that was layed on it from any printhead misting. I then cleaned over again with plenty of alchohol.

Now I don't have that problem anymore.

jc

jiarby

They stay down all the time. We have media in the printer and leave it on 24hrs.
They get lighter and lighter into the print... it takes 2 feet for so to look normal.

B Snyder

Then flat spots are my guess. I don't know if your rollers come out as easily as the versacamms but i'd try checking them with a caliper.