• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Say it ain't so, Shamu!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah.... sorry to hear that for the family's sake, but what do they expect from a fish named 'Killer' ??

You just can't tame a wild animal and expect it to behave in a certain manner. Look at people.... they're not supposed to kill each other and we can't get along killing off tens of thousands of each other a year or more....... so why blame the animal despite someone who puts their head in the lion's mouth. You're asking for danger.

Trainer..... beware !!

ProWraps

that fish has 3 bodies on it.

why sea world would keep it, its beyond me. where i live, they shoot pit bulls and bears after they get one body on them, or even less.

SignosaurusRex

These creatures don't belong in captivity as entertainment for humans. This incident is at least the third involving "Tillikum" (not Shamu) and will be labeled as a "mishap" just like all of the other incidents involving Orca whales in captivity dating back to the mid 1960's. At least SeaWorld had the good sense to shut down its other "Shamu" sideshows at other locations until they can investigate this incident in Orlando. But as we all know......"The show MUST go on"... regardless:covereyes:

Shovelhead

Not the animals fault, it didnt ask be used as a spectacle for entertainment.
F-ing-A....I expected to be in the minority.....Circuses and theme parks are outdated as a source of entertainment....sorry for the trainer....terrible, but the orca is a victim also.

OldPaint

hence KILLER WHALE.... should be all you need to know. after that anytime your in the water WITH IT.............YOUR FOOD!!!!! iam with all who believe they should just RELEASE THIS ONE TO THE WILD....i think it wont have any problem HUNTING FOOD!!!!!!!
and do a little research on this: the dorsal fin on these creatures, in the wild.......STANDS PERFECTLY STRAIGHT, those in CAPTIVITY ..................ALL OF THEM FLOP AND BEND.....why is that..ya think it might be they feel like a SLAVE????

Keith Rae

As i think Pro Wrap has eluded to this is the third person this whale has killed. A 20 year old trainer then the whale was in Victoria B.C. and some guy that broke in to swim with the whales. They aren't attacking the humans, only taking them to play with we just can't hold our breath under water for 20 minutes like they can. But still a tragic accident.

TheSnowman

If it's called a "killer whale" and you get in the tank with it...you may be asking for it. That being said...I think it sucks either way. No one wants to see that happen, and no whale wants to be in captivity. However, they do a lot of research and have learned a lot from the programs there on marine wildlife.

It just sucks either way.

Marlene

Not the animals fault, it didnt ask be used as a spectacle for entertainment.

F-ing-A....I expected to be in the minority.....Circuses and theme parks are outdated as a source of entertainment....sorry for the trainer....terrible, but the orca is a victim also.

I am so with you guys on this. I too feel bad for the trainer but these critters don't belong in a pool no matter what good comes out of it. they really aren't made to do tricks for us.

Todd-sta

I'm no PETA fanatic, by a looong stretch - but I too think it's really absurd to stick a big whale in a little tank and expect them not to go stir-crazy. They're used to the wide-open ocean. I was in the pet store the other day, and saw some beautiful Parrot-looking birds in a cage for sale, and thought the same thing.... a bird was meant to fly, not be confined in a 2 foot square cage when all they can do is wonder why they have wings.

Sorry also for the victim and her family - a real tragedy.

binki

I don't understand why the closed the show in San Diego. Were they afraid the fish would communicate in some way for a coordinated attack?