• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Scissor lift on slope

Damnitgabe

So I’ve gotta paint a sign about 25 feet up a wall thats in a driveway. They got me a scissor lift but it’s on a slight incline. I was thinking of throwing down a couple pieces of plywood or some of those ramps they have for cars. Any suggestions? Couldn’t need more then maybe 5 inches or so. It’s not much of an incline but when you’re up there you can feel it

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Generally, they won't work if they aren't level enough. Never had it happen, but there is some sort of a safety switch to prevent dangerous situations. We've been on uneven places, but never needed an extra 5" on one end. I doubt if the company you're renting from will allow you to do it, either.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Scissor lifts are sketchy when they are level...wouldn't think about it on an incline. Like Moze said, you got the wrong equipment. They have lifts that drive around and be on uneven ground.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You'd be safer going up at an angle than shimming the wheels. What if they slide out when you're up in the air?
I use ours on slight inclines but with the front going uphill, don't do it sideways. They all shake around when you're up in the air, you get used to it.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
A year or two back, Kent from macmedia was telling me how a scissor lift tipped over on him a while back.

Silly question, you are off level in both directions?
Turning the lift at a right angle won't fix this?

Notarealsignguy

Wrong equipment.
Like NARSG said, it's not so bad if it's unlevel front to back, but a stack of full sheets of plywood are the only way you'll get me on it if it has to be shimmed to function.
I have once placed enough plywood to get a scissor lift on a curb/sidewalk that was transitioning into a wheelchair ramp. It seemed good and level after a good deal of effort to get the sheets at the exact spot to match where the other wheel would land, that was until I put it 20' up, and found I was an extra foot away from the wall at that height. I got the job done, and was grateful nobody else was in the lift with me, but holy cow, there is definitely a reason they won't go up on an incline...
That's a death wish. The 4 wheels need to be on concrete or good asphalt and touching the ground. Not saying I wouldn't do it but I'd never ask anyone else to

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We had to install some signs recently and the gradient of the property was just enough that the platform wouldn't raise up, so we had to swap it out for a diesel scissor lift with auto leveling outriggers and it solved our issues completely.
What would insurance etc. think if something happened and came out to see planks/shims on the ground? 5 inches is a huge gap... stay safe.

Johnny Best

If they rented it for you and fairly new it won’t raise if uneven. It has a safety stop built in to warn you about being uneven. Those lifts are heavy and plywood would not be safe. Good luck.

Notarealsignguy

The genies are real sensitive to being off level, the skyjacks aren't. I don't even think they have a level sensor, just limit switches to keep you from driving it when it's too high in the air. MEC is a dead knockoff of genie so it is likely a pain in the dick about being unlevel too, dunno about the JLG. I can say that the off level sensors on the genie, are super annoying. I could lay my skyjack on it's side and open it up.
My friend worked for Sunbelt and rented a 125' boom to a guy to fix a church steeple. When he went by there, the guy had it maxed out and then put an extension ladder out of the basket to reach what he was trying to get to. It was tied off so perfectly safe.

So I’ve gotta paint a sign about 25 feet up a wall thats in a driveway. They got me a scissor lift but it’s on a slight incline. I was thinking of throwing down a couple pieces of plywood or some of those ramps they have for cars. Any suggestions? Couldn’t need more then maybe 5 inches or so. It’s not much of an incline but when you’re up there you can feel it

I think you're suppose to get an all terrain lift