• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sign World 2010 - The Blog

Joe Diaz

Gary: Know-it-all jackass? You weren't sitting behind me where you? :Big Laugh

Yeah Dan's seminar was amazing. We were supposed to fill out those evaluation sheets when we are done and all I could think to write was "WOW!":Big Laugh

I've had a chance to meet some cool people here. I've never been to one of these before so I wasn't sure what to think. People say it's smaller then previous years, but the wealth of knowledge and good people is more then I could ever take in.

:thumb:

GB2

Old Member
Gary, great blog, hope I run into you while we're here.

Joe, nice avatar...is that the new file you are working on to be carved by the Multicam today?

Jane Diaz

Can someone take a picture of my kid doing his seminar for his mom? :thankyou:
I'm sure I've embarrassed him now, but we all wish we could have come with him...just not in the cards with all the work we have right now!!
Go get 'em Joe!!:thumb:

Circleville Signs

Sign World Day 2

Well, after another average night and tepid morning shower (thanks again, Priceline), I dutifully made the trek back into AC for day two.

Coming in this morning I realized that I might have been a bit hasty in my generalization of the city engineers in NJ. I may have just been in a bad mood due to lack of sleep and hot shower.

I arrived with two breakfast burritos and a small mocha making my belly happy, and went into my first elective session - large panel installation - aka vehicle graphics.

Now, many of you know that we do a decent amount of vehicle graphics. However, anytime I have the chance, I try to attend workshops - you can always learn something new.

Ward Schneider from Schneider Graphics taught this seminar. Pretty basic stuff, but it was good for me - we don't do much with rivets anymore, and the flat panel/rivet practice was a good excersize for me.

Circleville Signs

Thanks for the feedback guys! And no, Joe...I was sitting beside you :)

Jane, I will be goin to Joe's seminar today and will snap a picture for you.

Circleville Signs

Day 2, Session 2 - Dan Sawatzky

Know-it-All is stalking me. Or maybe I'm stalking him. Either way, this dude is in EVERY seminar I attend.

It is actually making me start to doubt myself. Is it possible that I'm that big of a loser too? I mean, we obviously share the same set if interests. Do we have other things in common? Do we both listen to old school Bush in the shower? Do we both play too much Halo?*

I think I just might go kill myself with a spoon now.

In any event, since this is one of Dan's seminars, the rook is pretty full and Know-it-All is right in the front, and I'm not. Maybe there is a God after all. Poor Dan though - he is being treated to a non-stop litany from Know-it-All.

This session is about having fun making signs - something that has been sorely lacking for me for several months now - hoping to get reinvigorated this morning. More to come soon!

Circleville Signs

Day 2 - Bullpen session

After another great lunch at Tun Tavern, I headed over to the exhibit area to meet up with all if the Signs 101ers and check out the panel jam.

Similar to yesterday morning, I was expecting a throng of familiar*Message board names. Alas, there was only myself, Joe Diaz and Kevin Heath, from Heath Sign Co. It was great meeting Kevin and his friend John, and I had met Señor Diaz yesterday - but actually got to talk a little today. However, I'm afraid my disappointment in the bad 101 turnout may have presented itself on my face. If so, I apologize to all involved.*

The best part about the panel jam was that Know-it-All was nowhere in sight. I had nightmares about him grabbing a brush out of a master pinstriper's hand, shove him out of the way, and destroying a beautiful piece. Well - I say nightmare, but that actually would have been hilarious. Alas, it didn't happen.

What did happen was some really cool artwork. I'll probably end up buying a panel or two.

Now, I'm off to Joe's seminar. Gotta take a picture for his Momma!

Circleville Signs

Day 2, Session 3 - Improving your website - Joe Diaz

Yes!!!! I haven't been this excited yet today? Do you know why? I'll give you 3 guesses....

Do you know yet??

Know-it-All isn't here!!!!!!

I feel like kissing babies and old ladies - at the same time.

First things first - Joe is giving a solid seminar. He started off with a little excercize using volunteers. This was funny. I think I remember reading a factoid a few year back about functional literacy only being around 70%. Add nervous energy to that, and then ask various strangers to read something that they have never seen before. All I can say is good times...Very good times.

Have I mentioned that Know-it-All isn't here? I think I did, but it bears repeating.

Joe just made a great point totally burying folks who put up those "design your own sign" websites. Beat part, he did it without sounding like a jerk. Joe is now my hero. The only thing I'm good at in that situation IS sounding like a jerk.

I would have said the following -*

"What? You mean that you suck SO MUCH at your chosen profession that you'd rather let your CUSTOMERS design their own stuff? Really? Are you REALLY telling me that you are SO BAD that the average user of nephew art is better than you? Go. Go home and kill yourself now. Seriously."

ova

Hey Gary. Wanted to go to the show, but a little too busy here. Good posts. Seems like there's always a J-A at every seminar.

A little off the subject, but just some FYI. Shadyside Tigers are geting beat 35-0 at the half. Looks like a long ride back to the Valley.

Dave

Final score: Shadyside 6 the other team 77. Sorry I don't know the school's name.

Last edited:

CES020

Just got back from it, was really disappointed in it. I wasn't looking for a printer or LED's, so that wiped out much of the show.

This was my 4th year going and probably my last until something changes. When I went to my first show, I was so excited as we met all sorts of new potential suppliers, many that we didn't know even existed and we're still using some of them today because of that show. However, this year, I saw less and less of the people that are ALWAYS at these shows. Heck, I didn't even see Oracal. Oracal's at every show. Maybe I missed them. That's possible. Could have been my fault, but I didn't see them.

Really a poor showing from my perspective. Asked about some pricing on some stuff from different vendors and got a $8,000 difference in price. Thought that was interesting. Talked to one vendor and he insisted he'd talked to me before and we didn't do anything with him. I explained I'd never met the guy, spoken to him, or even contacted his company so he must have me confused with someone else. He said, "No, it was you".

So apparently in some mind altered state, at some point in the past, I've had extensive quotation work done by this guy for a machine I'd never seen before or looked at. Errrrr.......okay......I guess..........

Didn't bother going back for a second day.

Stayed at the Borgata. What a beautiful place. Nicest place we've stayed in the 4 years we've been going. Can't say enough about how sweet that place is.

Last edited:

Pinfinity

Circle, your post 14 is too much! I almost hurled from laughing so much! You missed your calling! Know-it-all & Jackass....I wish I was there.....priceless!

Dan Antonelli

There's always one know-it-all jackass at the seminar. I remember a few seminars I gave where they intentionally try and trip you up and get you to make a mistake or go back on something you said earlier. Always wonder about those people who try and take you down a notch so as to massage their own fragile egos.

Couldn't go this year, had my 3 off site employees in NJ for a 3 day meeting with the rest of the team. Would have like to attended Dan's and Joe's seminars, as I'm sure they were awesome.

grampa dan

Thanks to all I met at USSC

I had a great time at the USSC conference. I was truly honored to be asked to speak there.

I think my three sessions went pretty well. People responded very well and I fielded lots of great questions. The 'know it all' didn't bother me a bit... that's just part of the process. Some have lots to say, others tend to just want to listen.

I attended one of Joe's sessions, the one about websites and I enjoyed it immensely. Joe was well prepared and spoke in plain english about complex subjects. I now understand a lot more about websites than I did before. THANK YOU JOE! You can be REAL proud Jane and Bill!

In the off time I was privileged to spend time with Joe, Gary Boros and his son, and Jeff from here in Jersey. I got to spend a little time with some of my long time heros including Bill Riedel.

So many folks encouraged me and took the time to just say hello. Thanks!

While the conference may have been a little smaller than in years past (because of the economy I suspect) it was definitely a worthwhile experience for me.

I got to see some cool sights, walk the boardwalk for the first time and do a whole bunch more. The ideas I gathered were well worth the long trip from the west coast.

THanks to all who added to my great trip!

-grampa dan

mtrider

very dissapointed

i have to agree with some of the other posters... show was really small compared to past years!! also i talked to 4 different vendors about LED strip lighting, and was given absolutely zero help... some i couldn't even understand??? probably wont attend again... i spent more time at the beacon booth talking to Darcy Taylor, than i did walking the whole show??... at least i got to do some Christmas shopping at the outlets !!