• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

SignCraft magazine is letting me down

signguy 55

Got my Jan / Feb issue of SignCraft yesterday. Of course all work came to a halt as I looked at it.

It gets me that the first half of the issue, really any issue of the magazine deals with sign guys (Behounek / Antonelli, etc) that write great articles about color, layout, readability, not overdoing designs such as on wraps, keeping it simple, etc.

Then you get to some of the other articles and pictures that leave a lot to be desired. Wrong colors, not enough contrast, poor layout and pictures of shop trucks that are literally unreadable. This issue was a classic example of this. I won't specify what in particular, you can decide that on your own.

Still a great magazine but it seems like the editors would notice this. Just had to vent a little.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, it's pretty much been that way for the last 10 years or so.

It's also a great book if you're in the market to buy a printer. :rolleyes:

The Giraffe

I'm sure the guy highlighted in Australia is paying for the rights to use art from DC Comics, Marvel, MGM, Dreamworks, etc......

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I am letting my subscription expire. Out of respect, I'll keep my reasons unpublished but I would gladly respond should they happen to issue a readership survery.

JB

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I think it's not Signcraft's fault at all...

Try getting shops to find articles to write for. You have to find a worthy shop,
then get them to participate. I'm even guilty of turning down a spotlight on
my business because it was not a good time for me.

The other thing, average sign shop work is acceptable at best, then there is
the "sign" look thats been done to death. Signcraft still has to cater to some
of that type of work even though a lot of us are over it.

Still think its the best magazine for the mom and pop sign shop and always
look forward to cracking it open then it gets here.

Billct2

I agree, but it's still the best of the bunch. I think that the problem also may be that most of these magazines use freelancers to research and write articles and they may not have a clue about the sign business.
I also like Rick Williams columns in Sign Business, I can relate to a lot of what he has to say.

Billct2

Actually I thought the same thing when I saw a wrap contest winner (from the US) a few years ago, but I figured they would have checked to make sure they were licensed before they were published. When they do a story featuring that type of stuff it would be a good idea to include a little sidebar on copyright permissions.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, I agreed earlier.... and while I still do, I must admit, it's still a great place to get ideas, color combinations and some new blood for creative juices.

Just because some of the stuff is not up to someone's particular level, things can still be used and fine tuned to your own standards. Tweaking new ideas brings both new energy and enthusiasm... and Sign Craft is still the number one magazine that delivers that.:thumb:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
So looking through it again... I really enjoyed the Jan/Feb issue.
Not all of it was my cup of tea, I still respect the talent of all the
hand work involved...

Don't change a thing! (well maybe add some architectural signage)

Techman

Try getting shops to find articles to write for. You have to find a worthy shop,
then get them to participate

Right on the money.
There are plenty of down home shops doing some really good stuff. But I would guess most of them do not have the time or desire to write an article with photos. And then have to listen to some one pick it apart because the kerning was just off 1/4 of an inch or the color did not suit someone to perfection.