• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Snark-Free Response Forum

Do you want a SNARK-FREE forum?

• I want and would contribute to the Snark Free Discussions

Votes: 41 29.9%
  • SNARKYNESS FOREVER. Grow a thicker skin, newb!

Votes: 61 44.5%
  • Snark-free is okay with me. I'll just ingore the discussions I can't be positive on.

Votes: 35 25.5%

• Total voters

fresh

ahem. hipKritsezwhat?

tough skin, bro. get sum. Life's more fun when you can respond to snarks in a gentlemanly way... and STILL make him look like a dick.
want to avoid the snarks altogether? internet is not for you. enjoy a trade show, meet some people in real life. sign guys love sign guys. with a beer in-hand and a couple hundred bucks-worth of samples in a to-go bag, and taking pictures with the hot chick repping the Ultraflex booth. real life is goood.
...and just like real-life, no one is entitled to respect. earn it and take your licks along the way, and then maybe be a bigger man and pass it on to the next guy without quite so much hassle.

First, I never asked anyone to be nice in this thread. Second, by pointing out that what I said wasn't very nice, you are really helping my case. THIRD. Not everyone here is a male. Perhaps you should stop assuming everyone who doesn't post their picture or has a feminine name has a penis.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I'd say it would be 50/50 chance of that happening :supersmilie:
View attachment 92620

EDIT: Also, I've never heard of someone leaving a community because people acted too civil. "OH Those Signs 101 folks are JUST TOO DARN PLEASANT TO BE AROUND! I'm outta here!"

What you're not taking into account is how one would go about implementing your vision. Rudeness is subjective at best. By any other name and regardless of the good intentions behind it, the net result of management censoring posts and reprimanding members would be their departure.

While this may be true, it will also discourage new people from joining and contributing to the conversation.

The result being an insulated community that will plod on slowly transitioning into a ghost town.

You are simply not looking at or aware of the facts. Signs 101 is the highest traffic sign industry website on the internet. It is recommended to customers by the majority of manufacturers and sign supply distributors out there and adds 100 to 200 new members every week. We also enjoy advertising and subscription support from some of the biggest and best companies in the industry. The reason for this in large part is the quality of the help that is freely provided to those in need of help.

The sad fact is that there are certain phenomena that happens to some folks when they enter cyberspace that causes them to suspend their normal manners and to prejudge the persons posting questions or answers. In ten years of running this place, I have no solutions other than the Ignore Button to recommend or implement.

MikePro

First, I never asked anyone to be nice in this thread. Second, by pointing out that what I said wasn't very nice, you are really helping my case. THIRD. Not everyone here is a male. Perhaps you should stop assuming everyone who doesn't post their picture or has a feminine name has a penis.

Oooooo. I get it now.
you're one of those....

i guess i apologize.
poll submitted. i'm going-back to work.

fresh

Your answer lies in your original comment. Just replace 'question' with 'snarky comment'.
Why should the snarky be censored? Just because you may find some post's unwarranted or snarky does not give you the right to shut them up.

You're right. I guess because sometimes I get so disgusted with reading through the filth that I give up before I get the actual answer. There are threads that are 75% circle jerk, 15% non-sense, and 10% actual information. (these are just hypothetical, random figures.) I think I said earlier, perhaps someone who is about to post some snide remark will remember this thread and decided to skip it.

Sometimes we need to be reminded that there are humans on the other side of the screen. Police yourself. Behave online as you would in person. If someone asks you a ridicules question in person, how do you respond? I usually say "I'm sorry, I can't help you." Not "You are such a moron for not knowing that!"

Anyway, I'm just trying to remind everyone that being nice doesn't cost you anything.

PRS Bryan

What you're not taking into account is how one would go about implementing your vision. Rudeness is subjective at best. By any other name and regardless of the good intentions behind it, the net result of management censoring posts and reprimanding members would be their departure.

You are simply not looking at or aware of the facts. Signs 101 is the highest traffic sign industry website on the internet. It is recommended to customers by the majority of manufacturers and sign supply distributors out there and adds 100 to 200 new members every week. We also enjoy advertising and subscription support from some of the biggest and best companies in the industry. The reason for this in large part is the quality of the help that is freely provided to those in need of help.

The sad fact is that there are certain phenomena that happens to some folks when they enter cyberspace that causes them to suspend their normal manners and to prejudge the persons posting questions or answers. In ten years of running this place, I have no solutions other than the Ignore Button to recommend or implement.

True, I was not aware of these facts. As you know I have not been here for long.

I must admit I am a bit surprised.

I hope my customers are completely unaware of this place. I would hate for them to attribute what appears to be an barely constrained tolerance for customers to me. I like them, they help me pay my bills.

I am sorry that the quality of advice presented in a professional forum requires such tolerance. It is possible to give a design critique without belittling the designer. I know because I have given and received them in multiple design fields including graphic design.

In the end, I think I will continue to lurk, due to the quality of technical advice given here. Ignoring the rest.

fresh

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why they feel the need to belittle others in a public forum. PLEASE EXPLAIN IT TO ME LIKE I'M FIVE. Why do you choose to make un-helpful and rude comments instead of ignoring questions you feel are elementary?

Can anyone answer this? Class? Anyone? Anyone?

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Because we are all after the same money??

Do we want morons not ONLY taking money off the table, BUT also hurting the public view of our profession??

SignosaurusRex

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why they feel the need to belittle others in a public forum. PLEASE EXPLAIN IT TO ME LIKE I'M FIVE. Why do you choose to make un-helpful and rude comments instead of ignoring questions you feel are elementary?

Can anyone answer this? Class? Anyone? Anyone?

Really quite simple... IGNORE IT! WALK AWAY! ...maybe even RUN!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If I don't get at least two cups of coffee and a side order of S101 Snark in the morning my day is pretty much ruined.
I think we should celebrate it annually like the History channel with Snark Week.

wayne k
guam usa

fresh

also hurting the public view of our profession??

I would argue that you* do a fine job of that yourself by posting rude and demeaning comments.

But thank you for the answer. I guess some members here were just born knowing everything.

*meaning the collective membership, not you as an individual

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
I have only made negative comments towards Addie. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Life needs laughter. If you don't have it, your aren't living right. Some people are not creative enough to be funny, so when they try being funny or sarcastic, it comes out mean.

fresh

Really quite simple... IGNORE IT! WALK AWAY! ...maybe even RUN!

Thank you for the response, but your answer is awarded a Zero for not actually answering the question. I'm not asking what one should do when they encounter rude remarks, which is the answer you very correctly provided.

fresh

I have only made negative comments towards Addie. Check yourself before you wreck yourself.

Life needs laughter. If you don't have it, your aren't living right. Some people are not creative enough to be funny, so when they try being funny or sarcastic, it comes out mean.

THIS is a good answer. Thank you. I hope you are correct... There are legions of people whose attempts at wit are horribly mistaken, and many of them wind up sign makers! Brilliant response. With all sincerity, thank you for this insight.

i was wrong about who can see signatures, please carry on!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Also HDvinyl, can I tell you something that irks me? Your signature doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure only premium members can see signatures now, so your audience is exactly those who can't see it. It kinda drives me crazy. Also, its a bit presumptuous and mean. I'm sure you are a very friendly and helpful person, and I thank you for being very helpful in this discussion. But this might be an example of an unsuccessful attempt at wit.

You have it backwards. A premium subscription gives the right to display a signature. All members and visitors can see the signature.

I don't see it as mean at all. HDvinyl is just prodding other members to join him and others is financially supporting Signs 101.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This doesn't comment does not make sense.

Anyway, why post if you have nothing positive to say? I'm actually asking you a direct question. Why do you insist on making rude or non-sense comments? Does it make you feel better to put others down? Please, I'm really curious, this is not a hypothetical or sarcastic question.

Okay, you asked, I'll deliver. However, if you don't like my answers, please don't condemn me.... for it will scar me for life. :rolleyes:

I've been around the block a few times and have seen many people come & go and I'm not talking about this place. The people that go... are Losers. Yes, big time Losers. They play the game but know nothing about rules. For the most part, this place has a good amount of people with good intentions, just most likely bored to death with the ruthless stoopid questions. Do you know how many times the exact same thing is asked almost word for word and these people want you to serve the answer up on a silver platter, JUST because they asked ?? Are they too stoopid to look it up for themselves ?? Are they too lazy ?? Are they in the wrong business ?? Are they really qualified to be doing most of this stuff ?? When one asks certain questions in a particular order with certain no knowledge of the jargon or awareness for this industry, it can't be another sign professional..... it has to be a noobie. So, what's wrong with asking a 9 year old kid, what he's doing in the 12th grade biology class ?? How'd you get in ?? Why are you here ?? Do you know more than the average 16 year old ?? You ask questions so you know what you're dealing with if they haven't told you or given you a note as to why or how they got into the wrong classroom.

I don't regard 99% of what I say as being rude. You do, but not me. Although my posts are generally lengthy, they are to the point and both the OP and other viewers can generally catch my drift. I don't write in cryptic un-grammar, poor spelling or non-punctuation forms like many around here. I've been educated and feel sorry for those who can't spell on a sign forum and make silly excuses for it. I don't beat around the bush, and I don't sugar coat much anything. I don't feel better about any answers, but then I don't feel bad about any either. Why would you ask such a frivolous question like that ??

Sounds like you have a problem with people and you want to control them since you can't control anyone else in your life, so as Fred mentioned, you're just reaching out with your cyber-muscled tongue and jawing about nothing.

So, if any of this bothers you, don't ever ask me a direct question and your little feelings will be spared. :covereyes:

fresh

You have it backwards. A premium subscription gives the right to display a signature. All members and visitors can see the signature.

I don't see it as mean at all. HDvinyl is just prodding other members to join him and others is financially supporting Signs 101.

thanks for clearing this up :) i always thought it was weird that s/he was missing their target audience. i was wrong :)