• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So... I guess I am not going to get paid...

showcase 66

I have this client that calls me up pretty much every other month because he wants to change his sign. Never wants me to design it, just make it and put it up. Everytime it is crap clipart with a new font. I tell him it would be better if we designed something he liked and started to market the brand but he still wants to do it his way. Its an easy 4-500 bucks every other month so whatever.

Today I was putting up his new signs, (adding 2 new ones on the back of the building) and I get the 3 original ones back up and 1 of the new ones up and then a couple of cop cars show up along with some other people. I decided to back off because owner of the business is a hot headed ex marine who always has 2 guns on him. ( I say ex marine because he was dishonorably discharged)

I waited about 5 minutes and he is being drug out in handcuffs with a bloody nose followed by everyone else carrying computers and most everything in the office. The landlord came by right after they left took him out and he said to take the signs down.

I am glad I got my half up front but still this sucks. was looking forward to some extra cash this weekend for the bachelor party.

MikePro

LOL!
i'd ask to use the bathroom and, when no1's looking, make a grab for some swag for your troubles.

Locals Find!

I had something similar happen a few years back with a bar I was making some t-shirts for on C.O.D terms. I showed up with 400 shirts ready to go and the ATF, the Sheirff and the Department of Revenue are all there arresting him and taking apart the office.

Turns out he was selling illegal liquor (Not sure what made it illegal) wasn't paying sales tax on cash sales, and didn't have an actual liquor license had some kinda 60/40 liquor license something about he had to sell 60% food to liquor ratio and was ringing up his liquor sales as French Fries. They ended up catching him during an audit by calling the SYSCO distributor and asking for copies of the invoices for the 14,000 lbs of French Fries he was supposedly selling every month.

Never did get paid for that job. Last I heard he was serving 15-20 on multiple counts.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looking into my crystal ball.... it says odds are slim to none.
crystal ball.jpg

SignManiac

Sucks you got screwed. I was going to suggest repo :) but that's out of the question. On the bright side, the bachelor party should still be good. Most hookers are selling their wares for half off due to the economy, so the deposit should cover the fun and games!

jiarby

+2 on sending an invoice to the landlord. You were performing work on his behalf on his property.

You got nuthin' now.... maybe he'll pay it!

Jillbeans

Is he any relation to the t!tty pink lady?
That sucks about your not getting paid but like you said, at least you got a deposit.
Love.....Jill

showcase 66

I was surprised this guy was in business for as long as he was. I told the owner I was paid to put up signs, not take them down. Bill me is what he said. I have done a lot of business with the owner so I will get something out of it.

Elio Gutz

Wow! Now I know I'm going to be carefull with a guy that wants to change his business name every month!! Or may be he was the sorta fellow that gets bored with things...not that theres anything wrong with it... noooo!!!

W

wetgravy

There was a shop in an orlando mall that every 3 months would have a "going out of business" sale, then just change the name. I tried more than a few times to do the signs for him, but he always went with a shop that did it for 1/3 the cost since he was only keeping them up for short time.

Si Allen

In many areas ... you have a limit on how long that you can run a "Quitting Business Sale"

Typically it is 60 or 90 days.

Sounds like that shop in Orlando has a 60 day limit...
Open under a new name for 30 days, then do a QB for 60 days, then repeat the cycle.