• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solar Powered Sign Shop

SqueeGee

A few months ago, I posted a thread about potentially installing solar panels on our roof (http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60122).

We ended up doing the project and turned it on about 3 weeks ago. (Pics attached) I just wanted to give an update if anyone else is interested in tackling something like this.

Back in October, my old college roommate posted a status update on FaceBook about a program that our state was doing with a link. I went to it on a whim to see what it was all about. There was a finite amount of money available(I forget how much) that was allotted to encourage people to install renewable energy systems(solar and wind for this program). If you wanted to do it, you had to fill out an online worksheet and if approved, you would get a reservation for a rebate. I asked for a 20kw solar PV system and it was approved. The amount of the rebate was $2 per watt for the first 10,000 watts and $1.75 per watt for the next 10,000 watts. In order to claim the rebate, the system would have to be up and running in 6 months.

Over the next several months, I researched equipment, talked to the power company, and met with a guy locally who had installed a PV system on his house.

I was able to find a great deal on thin film panels for only $.98 per watt which is less than half the cost per watt than mono crystalline panels. The downside to thin film is that they require more area to produce the same amount of electricity than a smaller mono crystalline panel could produce. This meant that I couldn't get 20kw on my roof but at half the price, at least I could make it work financially. By completely filling up the area I had to work with, I could get 220 panels to fit. At 60 watts per panel, that equals 13.2 kw.

Next I needed to figure out how to mount them. Unfortunately, the cost of racking specially designed for solar panels is pretty spendy. The cheapest I could find was going to cost nearly $20,000. Since we had just finished an addition to our building that included the use of bar joists, I climbed up on a ladder to see if I could find anything that identified where they came from. Sure enough, there was a tag from the manufacturer which turned out to be just a couple of hours away from us. I determined how much the panels weighed and how much additional we need to allow for snow load and then called the company to get a quote. I also asked them if they could galvanize the joists for us since they would be outside. They told me that they could get them galvanized for us or we could just buy the joists and get them galvanized ourselves. They gave us the name of the company who could do them for us so that's what we did. I paid $3,000 for the bar joists and another $1,000 to have them galvanized plus about $700 to a guy with a rollback for picking them up, taking them to them galvanizer, and then bringing them to us.

After buying inverters, wires, combiner boxes, fuses, disconnects, bar joists, solar panels, and paying for all the freight on these items, we ended up spending about $30,000. I hired a general contractor to install the bar joists and mount the solar panels for another $5,000 and an electrician to hook everything up for another $5,000 so we ended up with $40,000 in the whole deal.

The rebate check from the state will be right at $24,000, so my out of pocket expense will be $16,000. I can get a 30% federal tax credit but it's not yet clear how that it's calculated. Is it 30% of $40k or 30% of $16k? I've read arguments for each case but my guess is that it will be the lower amount. So that gives me another $5,300.

My energy cost savings are dependent on the weather but based on my estimates, we'll save about $3,000 per year here.

Lastly, I can register to sell Solar Renewable Energy Credits to power companies. In my state, I can register to sell them in Washington DC and PA. My system should generate about 10 SREC's per year and the current market price is about $300 / SREC so that will generate another $3,000 per year.

All told, I calculate that we'll recoup our investment in less than 2 years. Assuming that that energy costs stay the same, we'll then save $3,000 per year for the life of the system (warrantied for 20 years). If the SREC programs continue to stay in place, we'll also get another $3,000 per year from that. Over the remaining 18 years of the system, that equates to $108,000 over and above the initial cost.

We'll also benefit from the good will created by our efforts. Since installing our system, we've been asked to host an event by our local economic development authority because this year's theme was "Shades of Green, the Future of Business". This event was attended by local businesses and media. We picked up couple orders from it already and there was an article in the paper that included photos of the event along with quotes from me. Since then, we were interviewed for a feature story in the newspaper and have had a TV station contact us about doing a story.

The last benefit I'll mention may or may not be important to you - It's good for our environment. The inverters we purchased provide reports that tell us how much power is generated and estimate of how many pounds of CO2 have not been generated by using this renewable energy. In the 21 days since our system has been running, our inverters estimate that over 2,000 lbs of CO2 have been saved. I'm not a tree hugger but I can't find a thing wrong with that.

If anyone has any questions about what we did or would like more information, I'm happy to help however I can.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 28434_391117336197_99563576197_4538211_5904516_n.jpg
    28434_391117336197_99563576197_4538211_5904516_n.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 29305_389354741197_99563576197_4499544_4249489_n.jpg
    29305_389354741197_99563576197_4499544_4249489_n.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 29305_389354751197_99563576197_4499546_6615842_n.jpg
    29305_389354751197_99563576197_4499546_6615842_n.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 29305_389354761197_99563576197_4499547_7589784_n.jpg
    29305_389354761197_99563576197_4499547_7589784_n.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 29922_389924106197_99563576197_4510039_1965633_n.jpg
    29922_389924106197_99563576197_4510039_1965633_n.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 30784_394203931197_99563576197_4610876_155516_n.jpg
    30784_394203931197_99563576197_4610876_155516_n.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 76

artbot

very cool... i've got a lot of flat roof that could be of some use. i'm jealous!

Last edited:

iSign

great job! nice rebates, quick investment return & awesome lifetime savings... makes sense on many levels before even getting to the enviromental one... and i happen to think that too is a good thing!

Neil

You've done a great job there - it looks like a big undertaking and you've utilised everything at your disposal to make it work.

We have (had) a similar solar rebate scheme here in Oz. It's since been scaled back, but essentially the govt would rebate $8,000 on a $10,000 1kwatt system.
Then the suppliers would also rebate most of the Renewable energy certificates so it ended up costing almost nothing.

I went ahead with it and now have 6 panels generating up to 1kwatt installed for free.

If the govt. wants to bring in these schemes then why not take them up.
Silly if you don't.

CheapVehicleWrap

I have a client who sells these systems. I was amazed that a million dollar system could be paid off in 2 1/2 years with all the rebates/credits. There are much worse things money could be spent on.

Curious..

What is the calculated summer efficiency for your part of the country?

What is the calculated winter efficiency for your part of the country?

What measures are in place to prevent weather damage or system/panel failure (ie - snow, etc.)?

mark galoob

i seriously looked at solar for my shop. im in texas and we get lots of sun all yr long. for us, the numbers did not make sense...

mark galoob

Bradster941

That's pretty cool.

Does your system have battery storage as well?
Does it control only certain circuits in your shop or does it supply power in conjuction with the power company?
Do the inverters output 230v.?

SqueeGee

Does your system have battery storage as well?
Does it control only certain circuits in your shop or does it supply power in conjuction with the power company?
Do the inverters output 230v.?

We have a grid tied system so there is no storage. If we generate more electricity than we can use, then the surplus gets pushed back into the power grid and our meter runs backwards. The power company must support "net metering" for this type of arrangement to work. On sunny days, our meter usually runs backwards for most of the day. If over the course of the billing cycle, we actually generate more power than we used, then we'll have a credit with our power company. This credit can be used, kind of like roll over minutes, anytime in the next year. In the winter, we'll have shorter days which will generate less electricity. The idea is that we'll store up credit during the summer that we can use in the winter and on an annual basis, have no bill for power consumption. Our power company(an electric coop, actually) charges a $28 connection fee to be hooked up to them, so the minimum my bill will ever be is about $30 after taxes.

If the power went down on a sunny day, we still wouldn't have power even though we could generate our own. This is because in a grid tied system, the inverters must always detect power to operate. This is a safety feature to prevent "back feeding" electricity into a downed line that could hurt the repair workers.

The power feeds from the inverters go right into the breaker box and have their own separate breaker. They power anything/everything in our shop just like the power company's electricity does.

The inverters we have can output a number of different configurations. I'm not an electrician, but I believe ours is set up to push out two, 110 volt legs.

SqueeGee

What is the calculated summer efficiency for your part of the country?

What is the calculated winter efficiency for your part of the country?

What measures are in place to prevent weather damage or system/panel failure (ie - snow, etc.)?

I looked at the efficiency early on in the research process but don't recall what is was. There are lots of free online calculators for this that will take into account your geographical region, panel mounting method(inclination angle, shading, azimuth) and energy cost.

There are no measures in place to prevent weather damage. The panels are designed to be installed as we have them but I'm sure if a massive hail storm came along, we would certainly suffer damage. I'll check with our insurance agent to see if there is any additional coverage that should be added to cover something like this.

SqueeGee

what happens if you have to work on the roof?

The section that we installed the panels on is new. It has an EPDM roof that has a 20 year warranty.

By going with the bar joist system that we chose, we actually have nothing sitting on the roof at all. The bar joists sit on the outside walls. The only penetration we have is one, 6" hole for the PV wires to go in. We had the roofing contractor do the penetration so that it would be warrantied.

I can access any part of the roof by crawling under the bar joists or simply removing the panels in the area we need to access. Each panel has four bolts that can be removed very easily. Each panel also has a two wires that are also easy to unplug if necessary.

If anything, this setup will actually prolong the life of our roof because it is essentially protecting it from UV light(one of the things that deteriorate EPDM over time) and direct weather.

Granted, if we had a catastrophic roof failure, there would be a significant amount of work to remove all the panels and bar joists, my sense is that due to the factors I've mentioned, the likelihood of this happening should be pretty low.

geb

When the power is out, with a generator, your system would detect the electrical current and operate as normal?

Can panels such as yours be mounted on an angled roof, I assume yes?

Good thread, glad to see the smart use of your money and environment.

George

SignManiac

Prior to the installation, what was your average monthy electric bill running? Also, how many s.f. of panel coverage is on your roof?

SqueeGee

When the power is out, with a generator, your system would detect the electrical current and operate as normal?

Can panels such as yours be mounted on an angled roof, I assume yes?

I guess that's possible but I'm not sure if it's legal - again, because of the back feeding issue. I guess you could disconnect from the power grid to make it safe.

These panels can be mounted on an angled roof.

SqueeGee

Prior to the installation, what was your average monthy electric bill running? Also, how many s.f. of panel coverage is on your roof?

We just moved into the building in February and prior to that, it didn't have the addition that we put on it so I don't have great historical data. In February, our power bill was $500.

We have 220 thin film panels that are 3' x 3' so it's right at 2,000 square feet. Each panel is 60 watts. 60 watts/9 sq.ft. = 6.67 watts/sq.ft.

If you went to more expensive mono crystalline panels, you could get 220 watts in one panel that's approx. 3' x 5'. 220 watts/15 sq.ft = 14.67 watts/sq.ft.

We paid $.98 per watt for the thin films. Mono crystalline is over $2 per watt but if you've got less space to work with, then that's the way to go to maximize your power output.

We bought our panels, inverters, disconnects, lightening arrestors and combiner boxes from sunelec.com

SignManiac

I live in Florida and have 6,000 s.f. of available roof facing east and west, so that's a lot of potential energy. It's also a new steel roof so I don't know if I would need the galvanized trusses you needed. Might be worth exploring.