• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Some recent work

All done in house. Tire is 98"x20". Made out of ACM, XPS foam, polyurea coated with cartridge gun.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 144
It is pretty low tech. Inside frame is two half's made out ACM with plywood for rigidity and industrial expanded foam as a filler. On top of than 2" xps foam (pink insulation), tread is routed from 1" foam to copy tires my costumer sells. Round profile was done with belt sander. Hard cote is one coat of epoxy resin brushed by hand and two coats of polyurea sprayed. Two half's was joined around posts and tread was wrap around to cover seams.

Marlene

really nicely done. if you hadn't said you made the tire, I would have thought you lettered a real one.

SignProPlus-Chip

This was one of those projects that was great to see come together in the end. Don't get me wrong, it all looked good along the way, but that moment where the tire was mounted on the pylons and we started adding the tread....it just REALLY made the whole thing look legit.

The company has a tire rack just a few feet from the sign, and those tire have the tread pattern we copied for the replica. Seeing both at the same time was kind of neat, especially after having worked off of nothing more than photos.

Kudos to Alex for figuring out the fabrication end of it. Now I have to design harder stuff for him to build:)