• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spec Work

PromoGuyTy

Pretty good!

Personally, I'm all about doing spec work...but only on MY terms. (.ie if 1 hour spec works equals 50% chance of getting a $5000 project...SURE!) (if 1 hour spec work equals 50% chance of getting a $200 project......ummmm....no)

visual800

Pretty good!

Personally, I'm all about doing spec work...but only on MY terms. (.ie if 1 hour spec works equals 50% chance of getting a $5000 project...SURE!) (if 1 hour spec work equals 50% chance of getting a $200 project......ummmm....no)

I agree 100%

rjssigns

Spec work=submitting a design that gets ripped off. Ask me how I know.
There a ton of businesses that will have you design then say. Ummm... it's good, but doesn't fit our needs, thanks. Then they take your design to el'Cheapo Signs and get it done. Legally pursue them? At what cost?

The most I do now is a couple "idea" thumbnails. Anything more I get paid.

I am sure there will be responses on how I am F'ing up. Save it as it will fall on deaf ears. I may not run the "perfect" shop, but it has my name on the door not yours.

signswi

Spec work is evil. Even if it's a company you have a developed relationship with, they should respect you enough to pay up front. Any reasonable person understands that. Those that don't...aren't reasonable so who cares what they do, let them feast on some other sucker. Saying no to spec work is an important part of maintaining your businesses velvet rope.

Circleville Signs

Yeah - I stopped doing spec work forever ago. When people say "how will I know what it will look like", I point up the street and say "You know all those businesses here in town? If their sign looks good, chances are we made it".

2B

Yeah - I stopped doing spec work forever ago. When people say "how will I know what it will look like", I point up the street and say "You know all those businesses here in town? If their sign looks good, chances are we made it".

Interesting timing as this was recently received when a full design was not sent with the quote.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]I find it difficult to pay a deposit or the full amount until I see what I'm paying for.[/FONT]

Joe Diaz

I was thinking about submitting this to 99designs:
99 free designs.jpg

jasonx

Interesting timing as this was recently received when a full design was not sent with the quote.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]I find it difficult to pay a deposit or the full amount until I see what I'm paying for.[/FONT]

Try telling that to an architect.

Locals Find!

Almost every job I do is spec work. I find it works for me but, I choose my clients carefully and hardly lose any job I work on. You gotta do what is right for your business. Keep it on your terms.

BTW most Structural Engineers/Architects receive less than a 25% deposit upfront and have benchmarks they have to hit to pull their next draw. I never understood why the graphic design world is always all or nothing. Its unheard of in the construction industry and almost every other custom product field. You get contracted draws based on the overall negotiated cost of the job, when doing custom work. Its how I have always done business with large promotional products jobs, large corporate clothing jobs and even when I did school uniform projects.

The problem isn't people doing spec work its, designers not understanding how the real business world works. Ask any ad agency if they are able to get paid upfront from companies like NIKE when they are bidding jobs against competing agencies. Its all spec work then contracted draws afterwards.

:popcorn: I await the lashing from the peanut gallery.