• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

starting out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I've seen a lot of Ricks work, and he makes me look like a beginner. He knows more about design fundamentals than I can hope to learn in the rest of my lifetime. You have no idea how silly you are making yourself look here among the many who know and respect Ricks wisdom and talent.

You will cut off your nose to spite your face dude. A wise man will listen carefully when advise is given freely to help those who need it...

Ummm, you're a damn good designer/signmaker Bob, after Gigi told me about your shop and all the articles I've seen your work in, I have to say I wouldn't mind sweeping your floors for a while.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I've seen a lot of Ricks work, and he makes me look like a beginner. He knows more about design fundamentals than I can hope to learn in the rest of my lifetime. You have no idea how silly you are making yourself look here among the many who know and respect Ricks wisdom and talent.

You will cut off your nose to spite your face dude. A wise man will listen carefully when advise is given freely to help those who need it...

I think Rick posted the wrong link.
[video=youtube;0XjrBNUaoqw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XjrBNUaoqw[/video]

Game - set - match

wayne k
guam usa

Rick

I think Rick posted the wrong link.
[video=youtube;0XjrBNUaoqw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XjrBNUaoqw[/video]

Game - set - match

wayne k
guam usa

LOL, And that's why no one should take me all that serious...

Rick

Anyone with a nutsack big enough to do that is worth listening to....

wayne

That had nothing to do with me sack-o-nuts, I lost a freakin' bet...
I hate it when that woman is right!!!!!

To rephrase:
"The Sock Monkey does not lose sleep over the opinion of the beanie baby"

GypsyGraphics

Hey Rick, went and looked at some of your work. Is the bowling alley sign the only thing you have designed. At least I have a girlfriend.
Show something you have accomplished, and let's see how thick your skin is. I am sure signmanic will like whatever you do.

Truth be told... Rick doesn't have a thick skin at all. But then again, he rarely needs one.

What you see posted on s101 are ideas is knocks out in the time someone might take for a cigarette break. Which now that i think of it is kinda funny because it's what he does when he needs a break from whatever we're working on. Design is his nicotine, and he's a frigg'n chain smoker.

We're on a HUGE project right now and working late. I took a break and went to see a family member in the hospital. When I got back I saw this thread on his screen and KNEW behind the window would be illustrator.... and the result of a few more cigarette breaks... just in case you needed a fix and wanted to bum a smoke. (there were some pretty nice “good, better, best” logos)

That had nothing to do with me sack-o-nuts, I lost a freakin' bet...
I hate it when that woman is right!!!!!

You'd think you'd be use to me being RIGHT by now.

Get back to work monkey boy!

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Worked with a friend of mine who is a designer and came up with this.
His style seems very familiar, has he ever posted designs here before?

As for jumping down the throat of one of the most respected designers here, good luck at getting design advice from anyone now.

Johnny Best

I was not looking for a fight. I just came in as a newbie on this forum and posted something and I start to get Aesop quotes and thread highjacking.
To start over with you guys, I inherited a house with a carriage house attached with some extra cash tacked on. So I thought I would take the jump and start my own business. Purchase a new printer and a laser printer and have the shop in the upstairs and the printers and tools downstairs.
I understand now why there is not much posting of logos and ideas here but the wealth of knowledge of printers seems where I will devote my time. Did not realize there was a click here and if I did not drive the right car or wear the right clothes I would be singled out. So to show that I do have thick skin I will post one more for the entertainment of the "seasoned" designers.
And Rick, the monkey suit video explained a lot. I am sorry for offending you and your girlfriend.

Attachments

• best7.jpg
    best7.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 134

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
Sit back, look at your design and squint your eyes a bit. I can't read it when I do this. Which means it won't be legible at a small scale.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Haha....... don't worry about pleasing the people here. They all know better and are just trying to give you a hard time. At least you are trying and not looking for free handouts. You're honestly going back to the drawing table, coming up with really different approaches which says a lot to me. Most people here [seasoned so called designers] can't come up with a decent idea, let alone 4 or 5 like you did. I see a lotta potential. I don't know your age, but hone those skills you already have and you'll go places with an attitude like you have. You're the kind of person we should be hoping comes through these doors more often.

Again, this place is not a popularity contest waiting for newbies. Raw talent [which you seem to have naturally] is something to be cherished. None of these people made their first, second or probably 101st design without some hiccups. Keep at it. You're doing fine and good luck with that peachy set up you inherited. Sounds great. :thumb:

shoresigns

So I went to that vimeo and saw this logo he did, so this is what I should do. Just put BEST is caps and put it on a piece of wood. Thanks for that information bro.
"you can't see that said the blind man to the deaf man as the lame man led them off".

It's not easy to understand why one "simple" design works and another one doesn't when you're a rookie designer. It just takes experience.

Also that's just the simple, base version of Draplin's visual identity. There's a lot more to it than that.

Be humble, grow a thicker skin and check your attitude at the door when you're asking for help/critique.

Rick

I'm not offended one bit... are you? You keep bring up girlfriends, seem
you have some issue with that. At first I thought maybe your designer
was your girlfriend... now I know who you really are. Bringing my boss
(not my girlfriend) into this is very telling. But you already knew that in an
attempt to invoke a response.

Pretty pathetic, even more is having a minion join in, or are you the minion?

I was not looking for a fight. I just came in as a newbie on this forum and posted something and I start to get Aesop quotes and thread highjacking.
To start over with you guys, I inherited a house with a carriage house attached with some extra cash tacked on. So I thought I would take the jump and start my own business. Purchase a new printer and a laser printer and have the shop in the upstairs and the printers and tools downstairs.
I understand now why there is not much posting of logos and ideas here but the wealth of knowledge of printers seems where I will devote my time. Did not realize there was a click here and if I did not drive the right car or wear the right clothes I would be singled out. So to show that I do have thick skin I will post one more for the entertainment of the "seasoned" designers.
And Rick, the monkey suit video explained a lot. I am sorry for offending you and your girlfriend.

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?107033-New-Direction&p=1113300#post1113300

Learn how to hide your digital signature better...
Who is the master, and who is the apprentice?

Not for your benefit Joseph, but hopefully someone can actually learn something...

You posted to get comments, how about taking it in, discarding whatever
is crap, incorporating whatever you feel is applicable. Just remember,
you may not know enough about it to distinguish what is good, and what is
bad information.

I'm actually trying to show you how to design in the fastest way possible.

Your first logo wasn't all that bad. But what are are showing after is
worse. There are actual reasons your logos have issues, and it has nothing to
do with taste. My comment on what you can't see is you have to learn to be
self-critical. How does this communicate? Is it legible, will it look good
on a business card or stretched across a tractor trailer? Can I see genitals
in the logo? Does it pass the squint test?

Many come here searching and spending hours, days, weeks and months
trying to figure out the correct printer. What to get, how they work... and
spend little or no time learning about how to get it done. It does not take talent
to make a decent logo or layout, but for sure it does take skill.

Most of us don't sit here and bang out logos and layouts, we have a process,
get inspired, look at videos, learn, buy books and magazines and re-learn the
skills needed. Being on this and other design forums, I get wanting to get into
the business, creative release, you want to make a ton of cash, fell into some
money or credit gets extended.... all decent reasons. As a businessman, I
don't understand spending $40-60,000 on equipment that requires some level
of skill to get it to work properly and we are entrusted by our clients to be
visual experts in some form of another.

To me, you are what's going to sell your work, your logo/business card/website
tells your client who you are in your absence. You want the best statement you
(or your designer) can muster up.

Now lets take the DDC logo...
It's a basic logo that works on anything. It's not a great logo by itself, but it's
how he used it as a brand that makes it good. It also has a reason it's designed
that way, if you watched anymore work by Mr Draplin, you will find out he is a
huge fan of early commercial art, mostly of the 40's - 60's. Early commercial
artist made things simple, they didn't have that many full color spreads at the
time, it was quick, dirty work. And it communicated. If you had taken the time
to see his work:
http://www.draplin.com/work/
and go through the client list, you might see how the process he shows on the video
works for him... are they all great? No! But the body of work is AND he has developed
his skill (and a small amount of talent)
-------
The bowling logo is basic: the idea of it comes from the commercial design/googie
design era. There is a reason it's designed that way... mostly because the building is
googie architecture. What makes that plain logo work really well was the sign design
and how everything else tied together. I don't care about your criticism of it because
I don't think you know enough about google architecture, or early/retro design to
comment on it. I'm not trying to get an emotional response from anyone here, I'm trying
to get one from people driving by the sign.

Attachments

• best my ass.jpg
    best my ass.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 143

GypsyGraphics

(not my girlfriend)
LOL!!! he's not the first to think that... in fact i just notice someone in the Starbucks Monkey video says "is that your wife?" :ROFLMAO:

hey... what the heck... why didn't you post the logo i liked?????
we never agree on anything! i should break up with you, or fire you or something. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

seriously though... where's the logo i saw last night monkey boy?

Rick

LOL!!! he's not the first to think that... in fact i just notice someone in the Starbucks Monkey video says "is that your wife?" :ROFLMAO:

hey... what the heck... why didn't you post the logo i liked?????
we never agree on anything! i should break up with you, or fire you or something. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

seriously though... where's the logo i saw last night monkey boy?

You know I'm sitting right here... If you fire/break up with me, can I still work in your office and go through your mail?
(slips 2 rolls of toilet paper from the executive washroom into computer bag to take home)

Here are the stupid logos!
(booger flick)

>these were re-purposed from another thread<

Attachments

• best my ass 2.jpg
    best my ass 2.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 133

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You know I'm sitting right here... If you fire/break up with me, can I still work in your office and go through your mail?
(slips 2 rolls of toilet paper from the executive washroom into computer bag to take home)

Here are the stupid logos!
(booger flick)

>these were re-purposed from another thread<

:guido: You truly are a Certifiable Circle Designer.

Status
Not open for further replies.