• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stomp shear vs panel saw

gsisign

Premium Subscriber
I notice some shops are using a stomp shear to cut ACM. Is this the best way to cut ACM.? If so what kind/ brand is good.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Stop sheer crushes the ACM and makes the edges look bad. Panel saw makes rough edges. I like scoring and breaking..edges look factory

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Stop sheer crushes the ACM and makes the edges look bad. Panel saw makes rough edges. I like scoring and breaking..edges look factory
All we use is a shear, cuts perfect like a factory edge and doesn't crush the material. We've used stomp shears, a small hydraulic shear and large 12' hydraulic shears that can do 1/2" plate. If you get a bad edge, you need to adjust the blade gap.

ikarasu

We use a panel saw and a sheer... Our sheer is only 30" wide. So we panel it into a size that fits then sheer it. The sheer makes a nice clean cut, it doesn't crush the edges and it requires zero sanding unlike our panel saw.

Didn't realize stomp sheers were so cheap.... May buy a 5 ft one and just sheer everything for under 2k. Saves sooooo much labor vs having to sand the edges down

John Miller

A stomp shear works well, get an 8' or 10'. Peck, Stow & Wilcox makes a good one, they've been around for decades. You don't need a new stomp shear. Mine was made in 1958, still is working great, I bought it in about 1980.

Billct2

If I could only choose one it would be the panel saw because it can cut many more materials.
I was looking for an 8' stomp shear for a long time but they were rare and usually sold when I saw them.
I had a chance to get a 4' shear from a shop that was closing and I'm really glad I did. It is great for ACM and most
pieces we cut fit on it.

MikePro

i use a stomp shear, with a piece of scrap dibond at the crunch point to keep it from stomping on the finish of the panel.
still, the edges get rounded a bit at the cut but it doesn't take away from the quality of a dibond sign.

i still like cnc routing it better, panelsaw would be identical machine-edge quality, but in a pinch a shear is a timesaver.

JBurton

Signtologist
Scoring and breaking tends to curl the edge, unless you have it clamped to the table. Stomp sheer puts an edge to it, sure, but it certainly doesn't crush it. Are you thinking something like structural corrugated acm? That stuff, assembled in the field, is usually done with hand routers and skill saws.

petepaz

We use a panel saw and a sheer... Our sheer is only 30" wide. So we panel it into a size that fits then sheer it. The sheer makes a nice clean cut, it doesn't crush the edges and it requires zero sanding unlike our panel saw.

Didn't realize stomp sheers were so cheap.... May buy a 5 ft one and just sheer everything for under 2k. Saves sooooo much labor vs having to sand the edges down
same here, i would always rather use the sheer but ours only go to 38" so on larger projects have to use the panel saw