• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Texas Brag on my New Bass

Arlo Kalon 2.0

thousand words...

Actually, it should read need money for combo amp. The refrigerator size Peavey speaker cab I have is waaaaaay out of the weight range I'm limited to lifting after two abdominal surgeries. A combo with a 15" speaker oughta do it just fine. Anybody got one for sale - cheap?

westpointsigns

From one Low Ender to another....Nice Ibanez ya got there!

Being an SR1200....That is one hell of a bass! Made when the Sound Gear series was still a great bass. They only put those Gotoh tuners on their prestige series now.
:rock-n-roll::rock-n-roll::rock-n-roll::rock-n-roll:

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I played this beauty for the first time in the contemporary praise band at church this morning. The first song had notations for me to come in on the chorus after the first verse. The drummer was plodding along barely keeping the song upbeat. I started out with a root/5 on first half of chorus and people immediately began clapping in time. I switched to a walking pattern variation and kept interspersing the root/5. It was awesome. I dialed in a bright slapping tone for the next song and led the pack. I still can't believe I stumbled into the deal I did on this bass. Was just meant to be. I apologize for the musical terminology that mostly will only be understood by other bass players. Suffice it to say we/I rocked.

GypsyGraphics

I dialed in a bright slapping tone for the next song and led the pack. I still can't believe I stumbled into the deal I did on this bass. Was just meant to be. I apologize for the musical terminology that mostly will only be understood by other bass players. Suffice it to say we/I rocked.

oh i totally get it!
ok not totally... but i did understand one word.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!, Enjoy! Now find me an american Strat for that price LOL!

Have ya checked out the new Blacktop Series Fender has come out with? When I win the lottery I'm getting a Blacktop Strat for those odd times when I feel like pickin' a guitar. I just thought of something that pisses me off about what people think of bass players. I've heard everything from they are frustrated/failed guitarists who need a simpler instrument to play. I play both and PREFER a bass over a guitar any day for their sheer power in the music. Most people who listen to music aren't even consciously aware of the bass sound, but are locked into the melody of the song. The bass gives the melody its movement and legs to stand on. The bass provides the beat and timing of the music in partnership with the drummer. Most people tho still don't have an answer when asked what song has your favorite bass part in it. Music school is over now.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

Hey Funky Wonky Bassieman....... I gost two questions for ya................

Who shot you in the head ?? :doh:

And did you honestly make someone stand there and take a picture of you while posing like that ?? :ROFLMAO:

What looks like a hole in the front of the hat is a diamond studded horseshoe hat pin. My daughter volunteered to take the pic and suggested the hat. She likes country music people.... SO THERE!!!

iSign

Interesting factoids Arlo... as a drummer for over 30 years, of course I am less guilty of those sins, and quite accustomed to locking in with my 4 stringed partners in crime... Watching there rhythm and making sure I got 'em in my monitors...

...but I wonder if a lot of people have inferior hearing for low notes... because I know I do... it's not a psychological overlooking of the bass, it's a lack of hearing the nuances of most of what they provide to the song... until you take them away though... and then you know how much you really were moving to the bass lines, and feeling the underlying melodic foundation...

An extremely enlightening moment for me was when I got my bazooka sub woofer in my truck... being able to control how much bass my ears needed in the mix brought out so much more character to so much of the music I listen to... even the old classic rock I grew up to... it was a trip to realize how much I'd been missing!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What looks like a hole in the front of the hat is a diamond studded horseshoe hat pin. My daughter volunteered to take the pic and suggested the hat. She likes country music people.... SO THERE!!!
Well, that answers my question about the hole in your head, but it doesn't account for your daughter's taste for music............. :ROFLMAO:

Only kidding............ I like it all. Just got me to laughing when I saw that serious look on your face and figured someone was standing their while you looked like you were playing, but not hooked into an amp....... :wink:

Oh, the days of playing in bands............. I remember them, but don't really miss them at all. I reminisce with old buddies who are still playing and some that aren’t playing anymore. We all cherished those days, but some of us…… have just moved on.

As for a bassman…. I always played to the left of the drummer’s high-hat…. as did the bass player. Seems you got to feel the groove better from that, than any other drum. To me, the basis of all bands was the drummer, bass and B-3…. if you had a keyboard player. The guitars, horns and singers were just the icing on the cake, but we were the true rhythm section and got the people moving and dancing, which kept them getting more thirsty and buying more drinks, which made the bar-owners hire us back all the time.

It was a great time playing in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. We got paid well, had so much fun and being on the road was a blast. Yowsa, it was fun, but today, all I seem to hear is duos, trios and music one or two nights a week. The drinking laws are such, that you can’t hire bands unless you’re doing concerts. Also, people can’t afford to do it like we used to.

Anyway…. :toasting: Cheers to all you guys…. and gals, still banging away at your charts and making easy money.