• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

That's Just the Way Its Got to Be

fresh

A few years ago, a client requested a 10ft x 1ft banner to hang under her awning to advertise her specials. It was a little tricky, but we got everything to fit nicely and still be ledgible. I send her the layout, and she is fixated on the fact that "SPECIALS" is not written across the top, extending from side to side. Oy. So we change our entire layout, stretch "SPECIALS" across the top, just like she wanted, and give it to her. I tried to pursued her to go with my original layout, but her response was "that's just the way its got to be." So whenever anyone makes us make redicules signs, we nod and think well, TJTWIGTB.

Anyway, I'm working on some signs right now. A simple driveway sign with an arrow. Instead of me writing what it is that they are selling with an arrow, they want a picture of it. Arghhh. I should add a lens flare to the text and a double drop shadow, too. Because that will make it more effective! TJTWIGTB.

Sorry for the rant. We are swamped and it makes me sad that I will now make bad signs because its easier to give them what they want then it is to explain why their idea is bad. I don't like making ineffective signs.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you just turn the lousy work away if you're swamped ?? Then you wouldn't be getting so upset at a lousy layout and you could enjoy the little things just a little bit better.

anotherdog

I feel for you. Right now I'm looking at a layout for a banner stand a customer created himself... out of thumbnails he downloaded from thinkstock...badly using a free version of photoshop he just downloaded and no he didn't write any of the numbers down...

Why can't you just print this file?
why do I have to pay for design time if I already designed it?

:banghead::frustrated::doh:

Jillbeans

I feel your pain.
I charge these types of clients more if I have to produce their blasphemy.
:)
Then I never put the pix in my portfolio.
Love....Jill

TheSnowman

Had one yesterday. Had Phillip make me a nice layout for the guy, and I get "Let me send you a picture of my card and maybe you can work with that. Have you ever heard of VistaPrint?" I kindly informed him they were the bottom feeder of the industry and that I hated their guts. So now, it's time to play mouse jockey and conform to a Vista Print terrible layout look.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Had one yesterday. Had Phillip make me a nice layout for the guy, and I get "Let me send you a picture of my card and maybe you can work with that. Have you ever heard of VistaPrint?" I kindly informed him they were the bottom feeder of the industry and that I hated their guts. So now, it's time to play mouse jockey and conform to a Vista Print terrible layout look.

Ya know what Ron always says.... ya just can't fix stoopid. Stoopid is forever.

fresh

Why don't you just turn the lousy work away if you're swamped ?? Then you wouldn't be getting so upset at a lousy layout and you could enjoy the little things just a little bit better.

I quoted this job high. Its a bunch of little things, most of which are simple (putting their logo on the door, etc.) This isn't even a big deal, time wise, it just looks stupid. I'm still making money on it :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I quoted this job high. Its a bunch of little things, most of which are simple (putting their logo on the door, etc.) This isn't even a big deal, time wise, it just looks stupid. I'm still making money on it :)

I didn't think this was the original reason for your posting.

A few years ago, a client requested a 10ft x 1ft banner to hang under her awning to advertise her specials. It was a little tricky, but we got everything to fit nicely and still be ledgible. I send her the layout, and she is fixated on the fact that "SPECIALS" is not written across the top, extending from side to side. Oy. So we change our entire layout, stretch "SPECIALS" across the top, just like she wanted, and give it to her. I tried to pursued her to go with my original layout, but her response was "that's just the way its got to be." So whenever anyone makes us make redicules signs, we nod and think well, TJTWIGTB.

Anyway, I'm working on some signs right now. A simple driveway sign with an arrow. Instead of me writing what it is that they are selling with an arrow, they want a picture of it. Arghhh. I should add a lens flare to the text and a double drop shadow, too. Because that will make it more effective! TJTWIGTB.

Sorry for the rant. We are swamped and it
makes me sad that I will now make bad signs because its easier to give them what they want then it is to explain why their idea is bad. I don't like making ineffective signs.

That's the part I was getting at... when I first suggested turning work away. You are degrading your work and your reputation for a job you evidently don't need or want, but you're still gonna do it anyway.

I just find it ironic that someone [not you in particular, but everyone that complains about the same stuff] can complain about something, then go ahead and justify doing it because they are charging extra for making a lousy or bad sign which can come back to haunt them, later.
This is an on-going phenomenon which I find rather hilarious. So many [here.... and all around you in regular real life] complain about all kinds of things, but don't do anything to correct them. Everyone seems to be happier b!tching about it than making it better.

Doesn't it strike anyone as being an odd characteristic in humans ??

We b!tch about our lousy designing skills, bad inks, bad prints, bad customers, bad vendors, bad tools, bad bosses, bad codes, bad costs in doing business, but no one does anything except b!tch without fixing anything. The talk is so cheap and the time is so worthless, most of us sit around and do nothing , but complain.
:toasting: haha...... guess tha'll p!ss someone off........... :doh:

John Butto

We b!tch about our lousy designing skills, bad inks, bad prints, bad customers, bad vendors, bad tools, bad bosses, bad codes, bad costs in doing business, but no one does anything except b!tch without fixing anything. The talk is so cheap and the time is so worthless, most of us sit around and do nothing , but complain.
People do not focus.
Sorry Gino, but these statements are complaining.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
People do not focus.
Sorry Gino, but these statements are complaining.

Not sure what you are getting at, but these are not complaints, but points on what others are complaining about.

See, I'm just bringing up how so many would rather complain about their own shortcomings and blame it on someone or something else than try to fix their problems. So many people are basically incapable of defining problems and then solving them, whether personal or business.

If I was complaining, it would sound much different, I promise you. If you misunderstand this for complaining, I can't help that. Perhaps I have a thicker skin and don't see things the same way you do, but simply pointing out characteristics which are constantly the same, seems to be more of a task in correcting a possible problem than complaining about it and doing nothing...... which bt the way.... is my whole point, here. :wink:

Billct2

Sometimes I'm a print provider sometimes I'm a design/print shop.
I'll always offer to fix issues, but if they want it the way it is I print and they pay.

fresh

OMG I'm laughing so hard right now. This job is unique in that its for a very small franchise, the franchisee hired me, but everything has to be approved by the owner of the franchise... Now, I've done work for the franchise before, but they are such a pain that I won't work directly for them again. Anyway, the Big Boss (BB) doesn't like the layout that my client chose (neither do I, but whatever TJTWIGTB,) and instead had her print designer rework it into a complete atrocity. It actually would work really well for a post card, but not for the sign. FOOD ITEM & ARROW. Its pretty much useless now, oh well. TGTWIGTB