• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thats why sometimes i hate doing design work

reQ

Long story short. Doing small job for local golf & curling club. They will have a tournament in january and wanted to promote the tournament on 120x60 inch banner.

Was told that they key things on the banner have to be:

1) Promoting brewing company, so anybody who see it knows that they are the main sponsor
2) Promoting tournament itself
3) Promoting curling club (but not to much)

Designed the one on the left. Two days after i get email that my design is bad and it does not promote the event at all. They sent me their own design that in their eyes does awesome job promoting the tournament & want it printed.

I am not calling myself super amazing designer, but i think i know wtf i am doing or i am that dumb? And yes, from 1 point of view i don't care what to print, because they are paying but from another point of view that makes me sad.

attachment.php

Attachments

• gw3.jpg
    gw3.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 226

Marlene

yours has the event and date which no matter what they say is the only thing that matters to those who are reading the banner. theirs is all over the place and I have no idea what or why I should care about their message. by the way, the customer is never right when it comes to design work so don't feel bad

yours has the event and date which no matter what they say is the only thing that matters to those who are reading the banner. theirs is all over the place and I have no idea what or why I should care about their message. by the way, the customer is never right when it comes to design work so don't feel bad

Not really.... They pay for what they want not for what you think they want. Its always a back and forth game. Maybe in the game of design you might be correct/win but when it comes to the game of business you lose, because they won't pay for anything they don't want. Hell sometimes they don't even pay for what they did want. I'm not a huge fan of your version but I believe it is a lot better then their version. If you want to get paid though, forget about it and print their crap.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I think both have major issues....

To me:

-- Yours looks like a race car event
-- "PROUDLY PRESENTS" is massive
-- The event typeface is too space-age
-- The Sponser logo is pretty big...

-------

Theirs looks like they are wanting some hipster/retro look
The event info is way too small...

-------

I'm pretty sure you had nothing to do with it but,
D@mn, that logo is ugly!!!!

-------

Even if your design was the perfect solution, clients still want to mess it up so either way, occasionally you have to press print, and get paid...

visual800

I thinks yours grabs attention and is very readable. Thieirs freakin sucks. Typical. Some friend or somn did theirs. Im really starting to hate the sign business because of crap like this

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
What can you expect from people who think sliding rocks on ice is worth doing, let alone manufacturing a competition out of it.

OldPaint

TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!
#1. the golf/curling club....LOGO....SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#2. their rendition ................was probably made by the same person that did that FUGLY LOGO))))))
#3. do it their way, take the money...........and be sure to explain to anyone who sees it.......YOU PRODUCED THEIR ART WORK))))
AND LASTLY.......
you need to ask them if the have PRINCE ALBERT.........IN A CAN)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Nat

Is It Me?

2) Promoting tournament itself

The Only way your gonna Read what they are promoting is if you walk right up to their banner!
The Wording is not Big enough!
This is Why a Sign/Banner should be Made/Designed by a Sign Shop. No Offense intended. It Just is, what it is!

3) Promoting curling club (but not to much)

The Curling Club was supposed to be the Least Promoted item on this Banner!!
So... wwwhhhhyyyy?? is it the MOST Prominent ?

I Can be and Purposely am Ignorant sometimes, But Where on either one of these Banners or even in your entire description, Where, Does it say What Type of Tournament they are trying to promote????

At First I thought it was a Golf Tournament, Then I thought Maybe it was a Curling tournament, Then I Read it again? and i'm a Bit Confused Cause unless its a Game Called "Provincial" or "Viterra Scotties" or .... "Hearts" ? What Kind of Tournament is This?????
:banghead:Maybe it's just me!!! My Wife tells me that ALL THE TIME!!!!

Just My Opinion
And YES IT MATTERS .. :)
Nat

Marlene

Not really.... They pay for what they want not for what you think they want. Its always a back and forth game. Maybe in the game of design you might be correct/win but when it comes to the game of business you lose, because they won't pay for anything they don't want. Hell sometimes they don't even pay for what they did want. I'm not a huge fan of your version but I believe it is a lot better then their version. If you want to get paid though, forget about it and print their crap.

our job is to know how to set copy so that the important things are seen and you know what you are looking at when reading a sign or banner. the custoemr is an idiot as they are promoting a product, not the event and is looks like any other ad for a product. the real event is an after thougth. the whole point is the heart tournament and the fact that is is being held from jan 27th to 31st. you want people to come to it or do you want them to know about a beer is the question. in this case, just give up print it and take the money as the customer is too stupid to know they are throwing their money out the door on a banner that will not get people into an event and don't seem to get that.

PS I am a big fan of curling and would have no clue that this had anything to do with it from what I am seeing in their design. yours isn't perfect, but I can see the what, who, when and why which is what an event banner should do

qmr55

our job is to know how to set copy so that the important things are seen and you know what you are looking at when reading a sign or banner. the custoemr is an idiot as they are promoting a product, not the event and is looks like any other ad for a product. the real event is an after thougth. the whole point is the heart tournament and the fact that is is being held from jan 27th to 31st. you want people to come to it or do you want them to know about a beer is the question. in this case, just give up print it and take the money as the customer is too stupid to know they are throwing their money out the door on a banner that will not get people into an event and don't seem to get that.

PS I am a big fan of curling and would have no clue that this had anything to do with it from what I am seeing in their design. yours isn't perfect, but I can see the what, who, when and why which is what an event banner should do

Good morning to you too.

I hope none of your customers ever run into you on a bad day, calling customers idiots and stupid on a public forum, nice.

OldPaint

and you would put up with their schit???? yea ok........she right most customers......... are idiots and stupid........and usually have more money then brains))))

Marlene

Good morning to you too.

I hope none of your customers ever run into you on a bad day, calling customers idiots and stupid on a public forum, nice.

yep customers like this are idiots as they just don't get the point of their own needs. how many times has this happened not only on a banner but a sign. they come in with some idea they want and it is all personal and has very little to do with making a sign that speaks to who they want to do business with. they are stupid as they didn't bother to even try to understand their own need which are to attact people they want to do businss with. they only want to see the color pink because that is their favorite color or they want their name really big as it is an ego thing. we see this all the time. in this case the sponsor of the event is all what this banner is about. to me that makes them idiots and stupid and the event is not important and seems like an after thought. they are selling beer in this banner and that only. the fact that it is an ad for an upcoming event doesn't seem importnat at all. part of our jobs as pros is to be there to guide them thru the process using our professioanl wisdom to get them what will work best for their needs. so yes in an open forum, I have no problem calling a customer who is on an ego trip and too stupid to know much past that idiots. it has nothing to do with havng a bad day, it all comes down to the difference between being a pro and being someone who runs a printer. when these customer's insist on doing something that doesn't work, at least you know you tried to your job and there's no hope for people like that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Two things.

First :
I'm not particularly fond of either one. One is confusing as everything hits you in the face at once, while the other one looks as if it's advertising an old saw mill.

Second :
As always, these things become a battleground because of word usage or personal preferences.

Yes. there as many idiotic and stoopid customers as there are stoopid designers and sign makers these days. Just look around at the stuff posted up. We kindly call them newbies, but for the most part, they're nothing more than frustrated end-users, coming in the back door looking for free handouts, here. If we cannot speak to each other and discuss our trade as interested owners/workers without someone correcting a word or something, than what the heck is this place for ?? You just wanna keep it Politically Correct and keep on patting everyone on the back while no one improves ??

It's getting sad, as the other day this very same thing happened and it got closed down, but not before the OP stated people were PM'ing him with advice. How does that help the others interested in the same thing ?? What's going on ?? That... being said with no real answers expected to follow.

Marlene

the tournament is a big deal as the winner goes on to represent Canada in the world championships. this isn't some rinky dink bunch of ladies getting together to have a nice time so who cares, lets advertise beer as no one will go anyway. I too wasn't too crazy about either design but from a who, what, why and when, the OP's had all that clearly stated. the customer did not. the OP gave the beer compnay almost half of the ad space on the banner and still got the actual message accross so the OP clearly listened to the customer who wanted the beer front and center in the ad yet still managed to make it clear there will be a torunament and when that will happen. the customer did not in their version. at this point, I'd just print and leave it at that as the customer clearly is clueless and feel bad for anyoen who wanted to go as they more than likely won't know this is a banner/ad for the tournament

Gino

Premium Subscriber
One thing I would like to say...... :thankyou: to the OP for having the courage and tough skin to enter this thread. That's what we need more of to get things going. :rock-n-roll:

Andy D

Going from what you said they told you they wanted... I like your design.
Yes the "proudly presents" is very big compared to the rest but it's the type
of statement that makes people stop and read the rest of the info.... Theirs is just ineffective nonsense.

reQ

Printing their version of the banner today. Explained them in a nice way that i can print whatever they like, because they make final decision. Explained them why the design i made is the way it is but they did not want to listen at all. I understand that many things could be tweaked on mine & its not perfect design, but they tossed it away completely and did not want to work with it at all.

Got the cheque & printing it.