• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

The Billboard is up!

A billboard should be pleasureful viewing like looking at a mountain scene or rolling hills or a waterfall, something to enjoy.

HUH? Whatchu' Talkin 'bout Willis?

imo the purpose of a billboard should be to generate a preplanned result that is desired by the one investing in that form of advertising. Typically billboards are utilized by businesses for a variety of reasons... To improve brand awareness.. to introduce products &/or services.. to notify or inform a target audience of whatever it is the one investing in this means of communication wishes to communicate, information, news, sales,etc.. To direct or identify.. To sell..

obviously this is a simple,non-complete description but I think for 'our' industry & how or why 'we' as business owners in our trade would utilize billboard advertising for our own businesses I think we can agree that the ultimate goal would be to increase sales. Obviously building brand awareness,repeat exposure to your company identity etc all is valuable & important, but the name of the game is increasing sales, creating interest, getting those who see your ad to call,email, stop in..whatever..to create more opportunitities for those who need your products &/or services to contact YOU who provides them.

NO WHERE...NEVER have I seen this 'concept' that a bilboard advertisement should be 'pleasureful' (i believe that is the 'term' that was used in the referenced quote) viewing.

Reality is that under most circumstances you have SECONDS to capture a potential customer's attention with this means of advertising.

Reality is that the majority of the population has become desensitized to most advertising because we are subjected to so much of it on a non-stop continual basis..this is why ads have become so ridiculous & obnoxious & sometimes even offensive..they are simply tools/tactics/strategies utilized by savvy marketers because they improve the percentage of the audience they are targeting to capture their attention.

at any given time there is a percentage of the population driving down the road who are currently shopping for any given product or services...signs, wraps, sandwiches, tires, matresses ( I have read studies that have estimated that at any given time 12% of the nation is shopping for a mattress ) my point with this is that those people who are currently shopping for or are in need of your products & services will make mental note of your ad (if it is readable, makes sense, the basics) but the majority of viewers at best are going to be exposed to your company name/logo/what you do but if they have no need they will obviously 'tune it out'. But that repeat exposure over long periods of time CONSISTENTLY can influence a potential customer if/when the do need your products/services. If someone drives by your billboards 250 times a year on their way to work & 250 times on their way home chances are if you are advertising signs & they find themselves in need of a sign & they have no other relationships they will at least think of you when they begin to research providers which in simple theory puts you steps ahead of your competition...this is extremely simplifying the psychology & obviously our industry is not what I would call a HOT one for typical bilboard advertising....blah blah blah

what got me on this rant is that the only reason an ad of this nature should be pleasureful viewing as a rule is if that is the goal of the person who is investing in it.

some of the UGLIEST most OBNOXIOUS bilboard ads are the ones that I have seen generate the best results...sad but true. There are situations where BOLD in YOUR FACE generates results. There are times that the most aggressive, bold, obnoxious color combos capture an audiences attention...bilboard advertising at times those strategies can be highly effective.

but 'pleasureful' viewing? Imo if that is your 'rule' you will blend in & generate the same results as most who utilize this form of advertising.

HulkSmash

I'm glad to hear it is working and starting to pay for it self, know many people that say billboards pay for them self.

As far as next one use less words in the tag line... Present one 3 words easy could be gone and say the same.
As far as to many places for eye to go..On present one you have phone, website, & address. One is all that is needed if at all.
Plus your looking at logo and tag line that comes on strong both with alot of copy and a nice mountain scene.
A billboard should be pleasureful viewing like looking at a mountain scene or rolling hills or a waterfall, something to enjoy.

....no

cdiesel

Many of you are missing the point. The target audience is of course all businesses, but more importantly businesses that are in the market for a wrap. Therefore, they'll be well aware of what a wrap is.

The purpose of a billboard isn't so much to convince the target to buy a wrap (if you can do that with a billboard in three seconds at 65mph, you my friend are awesome), rather when looking for a wrap to remember the billboard they saw before.

fmg

Maybe the word 'Vehicle' before Wraps would
Make most of the audience understand your
Message. I mean you are dealing with the general
Public here.

Dave Drane

I think it looks good man. Borderline 'wordy', but the bullet points in black on the left is simple and effective. Everyone around here asks for 'wraps' nowadays it seems (even if it's just a simple stripe job lol) I saw you mention it's at an intersection... Is there a stop light nearby where people can sit a gaze in wonder at your awesome billboard? Or are they zooming by at 90mph?

In either case, I think it works.. it would just work mo' better slower :D If I lived in Colorado, and wasn't in the sign business, and I needed a wrap, I would definately think about calling you! :peace!:

...Actually, after looking at the retro sign, I decided to use my mad photoshopping skills to fix your billboard for you...

Very funny!! The guy who originally DREW it didn't even know what PhotoShop was! It was created back in the days where designs came from the brain, not a program.

Locals Find!

As I have some experience selling billboard ads. I think you did a good job. I have sold much worse and had professional ad agencies hand me over designs that would make you guys vomit.

The only thing I didn't like was the grunge on your logo it actually makes it look like the billboard guys screwed up. It ages your logo. Other than that your fine. Don't listen to all the nay-Sayers. Your phone is ringing already and that was the point. Good Job!

HulkSmash

Hey everyone. Thanks for reminding me about this. The billboard just came down last month. Here's what i got for you in terms of how it went.

Pretty well. I was testing it based off more of a research project for myself to see if it would actually work. Compared to actual wrapped vehicles. I paid ~1500 a month for this for approx 4 months so 6k total.

I made about $30,000 in sales just off of the board. It might sound like a lot? For our business in 4 months, it's really nothing. But stacked with all our other work, it worked out nice..... I guess it's ok? I was expecting much more. But like most forms of advertising, it's not always a "need right now" situation. So i'm hoping the branding was strong enough to stick out in the drivers who passed it minds that when they day comes they need our services they'll remember our billboard. Also these will turn into repeat customers, so it might work out better for us in the long run.

Here's my advice if anyone if trying to do something like this

1st - wrap your own shop vehicles, People like to see finished products. I've gotten much more of a response just by parking my shop vehicles in our parking bays outside our shop, and driving around.

2nd - if you're doing a billboard- don't do it in the same spot for more than 2 months. After the 2nd month, leads from the billboard semi flat lined because it was the same people passing by it every day.

3rd as everyone said, keep it simple, keep it clean. The main focus for us was getting our brand out there to those who didn't know about us. Mission accomplished?

Overall My wraps seem to be more effective forms of advertising over billboards. You never know if something works unless you pay for it. If it doesn't take the hit and move on.

bois323

I like it. it's a clean design and to the point, like all billboards should be. Congrats.

And thanks for posting your results.

g&eprinting

Hey everyone. Thanks for reminding me about this. The billboard just came down last month. Here's what i got for you in terms of how it went.

Pretty well. I was testing it based off more of a research project for myself to see if it would actually work. Compared to actual wrapped vehicles. I paid ~1500 a month for this for approx 4 months so 6k total.

I made about $30,000 in sales just off of the board. It might sound like a lot? For our business in 4 months, it's really nothing. But stacked with all our other work, it worked out nice..... I guess it's ok? I was expecting much more. But like most forms of advertising, it's not always a "need right now" situation. So i'm hoping the branding was strong enough to stick out in the drivers who passed it minds that when they day comes they need our services they'll remember our billboard. Also these will turn into repeat customers, so it might work out better for us in the long run.

Here's my advice if anyone if trying to do something like this

1st - wrap your own shop vehicles, People like to see finished products. I've gotten much more of a response just by parking my shop vehicles in our parking bays outside our shop, and driving around.

2nd - if you're doing a billboard- don't do it in the same spot for more than 2 months. After the 2nd month, leads from the billboard semi flat lined because it was the same people passing by it every day.

3rd as everyone said, keep it simple, keep it clean. The main focus for us was getting our brand out there to those who didn't know about us. Mission accomplished?

Overall My wraps seem to be more effective forms of advertising over billboards. You never know if something works unless you pay for it. If it doesn't take the hit and move on.

Good Info!

round man

just read this thread for the first time,....Having spent the past 40 years in the outdoor industry I would like to offer up some advice,...I know its easy to be a Monday morning quarterback but here goes just the same,because this thread slipped by me the first time around,....so

the design was simple enough to get the message across in 55 mph traffic but it was lacking in the fact that it didn't address the "what" factor,...there are usually 3 or more basic factors that an outdoor ad must address,..."who" ya nailed that one pretty good,..."WHAT" This is a very important aspect of your message/design,it must either portray exact product representation and or define the product in a very short,concise definitive means,...."where" your contact info was very predominately displayed. If you try this aqain or others reading this intend to utilize the outdoor media I would highly suggest that the issue of "what" is definitively better addressed in the design,.... on a final note I would add a splash of color as the blues tend to be camouflaged against a blue sky backdrop,.... oranges tend to contrast with blues,...all in all a good effort if this is your first attempt at outdoor,....