• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

** The Official Illustrator vs. Corel Draw Thread **

Which it better, Illustrator or Corel Draw?

• Illustrator

Votes: 36 42.4%
  • Corel Draw

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I use them both

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • I still do everything by hand....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

synergy_jim

I have been using adobe illustrator, and the rest of the adobe gamut for years.

I must say that the versatility and cooperation between adobe's different programs is amazing, especially with the CS3 apps.

Nothing against corel, but to me it seems like a kids toy next to illustrator.
I admit that using corel after illustrator feels like driving on the wrong side of the road backwards.

I just want to pick everyones brains as far as corel tutorial sites and things that you think corel does better so I can make a more informed decision.

Thanks,

JD

javila

I use adobe to modify/design things. I can't stand the interface on corel draw. Too menu driver it seems to me.

I love corel for ouputting sperations and working multi page files though. I'd love to have an illustrator interface with corels outputting options.

iSign

informed decision on what... if you already have & know how to use illustrator... even the most vocal of the Corel supporters in the many years of previous "official" corel-illustrator duel threads... would ususally never claim Corel to be worthy enough to abandon Illustrator if it's already working for you...

...with one exception. Using Corel to output to a (Roland) plotter without buying an expensive bridge or other cutting program.

synergy_jim

well...

the informed decision is " Am I missing anything "

Thats all... I own both, but have never really learned corel....

should I invest the time, or am I really not missing much?

Checkers

Both programs have their place, but I prefer Corel's suite because
1) it's all inclusive (vector, raster, animation, trace, publishing and web design) for the cost of illustrator alone
2) Page size is unlimited
3) you can do multiple pages in one file (newsletters and books)
4) it works well with microsoft office suite
5) its a lot more sign maker friendly.

Checkers

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I don't think it matters...if the user can't design, or does not know how to get a file ready for any kind of production situation, then who cares what they use.

Shovelhead

I think the question is very vague.....for illustrating...Illustrator hands down.
For everyday sign drawings...Corel
I literally only use Illustrator to manipulate native files and live trace every so often.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
They're what's known as fungible products. They're functionally pretty much the same. The contention is the same as you would observe with a posse of rednecks arguing whether their Ford, GM, or Dodge truck is the superior specimen.

Of course you'll never convince a buck Adobe or Corel chauvinist to admit to it.

Use which ever gets you off. I prefer Corel but I have no doubt that what ever I can do in one of them I can do in the other. My preference for Corel is based on nothing more than that's what I've used for lo these many years.

GK

3) you can do multiple pages in one file (newsletters and books)
Checkers

You could do that in Illustrator too, I posted a link a while back about how to do just that after I saw so many people (not just this forum) thinking the same thing.

Flame

It's like what someone else said.... "my pencil is better than your pencil". It's whatever you're comfortable with. I started in Illustrator, I ended up in CorelDraw. Some drawing functions are easier in Illustrator, but for everyday vector and some raster work... it's hard to beat Corel for me.

You can do well in both, but why I like Corel over Illustrator:

1. Unlimited page dimensions

2. Bevel tool

3. Contour tool (rather than using outlines and converting to curves, filling... etc.)

4. Better text manipulation

5. More presets for gradients, fills, patterns and vector shapes

6. Easier to zoom in and out (middle rolle button)

7. Having a easy to use Calendar wizard right at hand

8. Easier to work with Rasters. Even in program editing tools such as image adjustment, color adjustment, special effects etc.

Just some reasons I'm an X3 lover.

copperheadsigns

this will largely split along Mac and PC lines, I would guess...

if you are a Mac user, you'll likely prefer Illustrator...if you are a PC user, you might like Corel more.

??? any takers on this theory?

I have both and much prefer Illustrator.

Craig Sjoquist

I own corel X3 love it will buy more corel products to complete like painter before adobe

anyway went to school for adobe to try to learn ....reliezed that it's also needed software ...some stuff was easier some not but still very useful

so voted both

but 90% of my work is done by hand
not a good poll to me it does not really get a survey correctly

Merry Christmas

I am a pc user and prefer Corel for mostly the same reasons that Flamey listed.(especially the contour tool, the middle button zoom and the transparency tool). I use photoshop,imageready and adobe Golive, as well and dont find them difficult to use, but couldnt really get a feel for illustrator. But I also never really committed myself to learn illustrator as corel saves as a psd. file if photoshop.

Warren

Techman

Now that every one has sung the praises of Illy,, I'll inject a few tidbits of detritus to remind us all that the adobe god illy does have flaws just like any other software..

Illustrator has too many bugs for the price you have to pay for it..

Try catching a node. The resolution is so fine that its a hit or miss gamble. At least they could have made a slider to adjust the resolution..
Try following a tutorial. If you can find one that is complete.

Corel comes with full functions.
Illy requires that you purchase expensive other plug ins to make it work.

MAx page size is 227.. x 227 INCHES. (I don't remember if this is the exact size)

Free transform bugs are the biggest pain,, Especially on gradient mesh and envelopes
illustrator crashes, and there is no autosave / rescue file that corel does have.Crash protection is an industry standard with nearly every other drawing soft..

Select a path to see the points. Try to select and delete a node point and Illy cannot find it unless you are exactly there,, or it highlights some other path.

Click on the triangle to drop a layer group. miss the mark and try again Illy crashes along with the last 28 minutes of drawing. (no autosave or crash recovery)

There's also an issue with deleting colors in the Live Color dialog.

Oh yes,, don't forget the memory fragmented.. Memory leakage with cs3,, illy fragments memory forcing you to own a memory defrag to keep working. Get involved into a project that takes a few hours and your gonna have a memory problem.

Bridge hangs up sometimes. too much..

The load speed gains that is nice in XP is gone in Vista fistula.

And finally the vector layers loss. You cannot paste a vector into the proper layer every time. It misses sometimes.

Anything with a rounded corner will instantly become a needle point sharp corner in free transform..

I will admit that adobe may have fixed these by now,, I don't really care. I use corel and do not have a hassle with it at all... But i do know the node grabber is still way to finicky in illy...

tech...

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
this will largely split along Mac and PC lines, I would guess...

if you are a Mac user, you'll likely prefer Illustrator...if you are a PC user, you might like Corel more.

??? any takers on this theory?

I have both and much prefer Illustrator.

You would be hard pressed to find a Mac person that prefers Corel, especially since the last version of Corel was around the time of OS9.

For Mac people the real debate is Illustrator/Freehand and Indesign/Quark