• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

This makes me sick to my stomach

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Folks......Do not say anything here that could be taken as "libel" and/or "slander".....

Very good advice.... and in addition, I think the entire community is covered by the disclaimer at the bottom of the page. :thumb:

I'd like to see him try to sue over "message board" libel. :ROFLMAO:

I hope he does it. He'd have to print 500 banners just to pay his attorney fees.

copythat

AMEN Joe

Ooooo I hope they quote this on their ad:

With your permission, can I use this term.

When you pay too much but purchase a high quality product you might be out a few extra dollars, but a well made high quality product well quickly make up for that extra expense by going the distance and doing the job it was purchased to do for a longer period of time, and it will look better doing it!

It's perfect!

royster13

Sometimes the "winner" in a lawsuit has to spend an incredible amount of money to get there......So sometimes even the "winner" is the "loser".....

petesign

His other business is Metro Sign Co.

http://www.metrosignco.com/

Located in Phoenix, AZ. What I can't figure, if you look at his local shop website, its awful, compared to his national one. Why give up on the local market (especially in a big market like Phoenix?) and focus on wholesale cutting out all your profit. Work smarter, not harder.

Weird.

threeputt

I understand the emotion here, but I think a lot of people are being hypocrites. For example:

If the guy down the street started selling gas for a buck under the "going rate" how many of you would run down there and fill your tanks?

Would you care about his competitors? Guys charging enough to pay a wage, provide benefits, and oh...even make a little profit?

I'm willing to bet most of you'd say, "well...if he's dumb enough to give his product away, what do I care that he'll be out of business in a month". "Right now, I need gas and that's a h*ll of a good price".

That's how his customers are thinking.

CheapVehicleWrap

I understand the emotion here, but I think a lot of people are being hypocrites. For example:

If the guy down the street started selling gas for a buck under the "going rate" how many of you would run down there and fill your tanks?

Would you care about his competitors? Guys charging enough to pay a wage, provide benefits, and oh...even make a little profit?

I'm willing to bet most of you'd say, "well...if he's dumb enough to give his product away, what do I care that he'll be out of business in a month". "Right now, I need gas and that's a h*ll of a good price".

That's how his customers are thinking.

In Jersey when you're the cheapest, those are the ones who get caught literally watering the gas down. Guy up the block has some of the cheapest prices consistently, but he adds SO much ethanol a 2 stroke won't run at all. It's smells for days on your clothes and stains. I don't pay too much attention to the price of gas, you know who the gougers are. But I understand your point.

threeputt

But I understand your point.

I'm glad you do. It doesn't have to be gasoline. Not many of us will pay more than we have to on "principle".

Donut shop selling donuts for $3.00 a dozen must infuriate other shops selling at $4.50, etc.

But hey, it's America! (ie: capitalism) And when people start telling other people what to charge, then it won't be.

Two cents.

royster13

In another life I was in the pizza business......We re-opened a closed down shop in a small town....We lead the other pizza place to believe we would under cut his prices so he spent a considerable amount of money printing and distributing new menus with much lower prices....We then opened up at prices about 40% higher than where he was at....And we found enough of a client base that we did very well.....

Moral of the story is you need to find your share of the market and do a good job on that share ....And do not worry too much about the other folks.....

SignManiac

Gas is a commodity, signs aren't.

Wrong Pat. That's all most signs are today, a commodity and that's what the majority are competing against. Nature and business has a way of sorting out survivors. His model seldom survives. But hey, he just might. I should add, he will have no affect on me so I don't concern myself with what he's selling.

anotherdog

The race to the bottom can never be won only lost. If he can survive at those prices then someone else printing from a garage can shave a few cents off...then someone in china can shave a dollar off that. Cutting the cake finer and finer only means when you have a slump or an unexpected cost you crash.
He will crash or realise he is printing 20 hours a day to make less than delivering pizzas and either change or get out of that business model.

It's business kharma to chase the cheapest price. You will never find the sweet spot.

iSign

I'm glad you do. It doesn't have to be gasoline. Not many of us will pay more than we have to on "principle".

Donut shop selling donuts for $3.00 a dozen must infuriate other shops selling at $4.50, etc.

But hey, it's America! (ie: capitalism) And when people start telling other people what to charge, then it won't be.

Two cents.

good point...
-
-
-
-
-
but, sorry... I can get it for 1 cent :tongue:

Joe Diaz

I see setting your prices as being almost like shopping for the types of customers you want.

You go for rock bottom prices, you set your shop up to sell commodities, you will attract those who are only interested buying cheap and you will probably be doing cheap work. I mean you would have to in order to keep prices low and stay in business.

You sell yourself as a custom service, not a retail shop and charge accordingly, you won't get as many of those price shoppers, but you will get longterm quality clients.

In my opinion both can work if you do a good job. I just think it is easier to do a good job and more rewarding when you aren't trying to undercut everyones prices. Just charge what your work is worth. who cares about what other people are charging. I personal would rather have a smaller number of great clients, then a larger number of price shoppers.