• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Thoughts on HP Designjet 5000ps UV

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
They are great workhorses but typically your targeting indoor graphics like tradshow graphics and POP signage. The material costs are higher since it needs an inkjet coating on it but its a good machine for starting out. What do you plan on doing with it? I have like 4 60" units Im selling for $1500 what did you get yours for?

qmr55

Picked one up from someone local for dirt cheap they just needed to get rid of it. Not sure what were going to do with it yet, probably just test some stuff for now! What materials would you suggest for it? Is there anything I can pick up around the corner at fellers for now just to play with?

Thanks Josh!

P.S. If we like it, may be in contact about the 4 you have!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Picked one up from someone local for dirt cheap they just needed to get rid of it. Not sure what were going to do with it yet, probably just test some stuff for now! What materials would you suggest for it? Is there anything I can pick up around the corner at fellers for now just to play with?

Thanks Josh!

P.S. If we like it, may be in contact about the 4 you have!

Well it will run everything a solvent printer can run with a few exceptions for the most part. So Banner material, Backlit Films, Adhesive Vinyls, Canvas, tradeshow films, poster and photo papers. They are more expensive of course but let me know what your trying to accomplish and I can let you know your options. I carry all the materials, inks and heads for those as well if you want a price guide let me know.

MAKE SURE YOU TELL FELLERS ITS AN INKJET PRINTER OR ELSE YOU WILL GET THE WRONG STUFF. IT HAPPENS EVERYDAY.

Jack Knight1979

the media cost was why I went to a solvent machine. The roll of coated banner material was like 200 dollars. That was for a 3' x 75' roll.

You can get a solvent roll 38"x165' for half that cost.

jkdbjj

My recommendation, if they are still making it, is try the Kodak media out. I used everyone's before settling on Kodak, it was the nicest, the inks dryed much better, and the cost was competitive.
I use my latex for everything now, but that machine is the best for what it does.
I actually preferred the dye inks over the UV inks, so you may want to look at swapping that out, the gamut is MUCH better. Especially if you already have a machine that handles the outdoor stuff.

jkdbjj

the media cost was why I went to a solvent machine. The roll of coated banner material was like 200 dollars. That was for a 3' x 75' roll.

You can get a solvent roll 38"x165' for half that cost.
Kodak's stuff was around 100.00 on 100ft rolls and they had like 15 variations to choose from. Guess that is neither here not there for you at this point though.

jkdbjj

So I can't just use normal IJ180C with this printer? Or 3951?
Umm, not that I am aware of. You basically need a media that has a special coating on it for dye/UV water based inks.

Not to mention the core size is different, though if you have it some designjets have the 3" core adapter.

jkdbjj

They are great workhorses but typically your targeting indoor graphics like tradshow graphics and POP signage. The material costs are higher since it needs an inkjet coating on it but its a good machine for starting out. What do you plan on doing with it? I have like 4 60" units Im selling for $1500 what did you get yours for?
Great Price on those. Are they 5500 PS, or the 5000? Are the UV or Dye?

Billct2

You can only use coated materials for aqueous printers. Make sure you specify UV inks also.
It's a great machine for indoor stuff and short term outdoor. It's also a pretty easy machine to use and maintain.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Great Price on those. Are they 5500 PS, or the 5000? Are the UV or Dye?

One is an eaglejet 60" UV (Eaglejet is the private label HP that was for Anheiser Busch)

One is a 60" 5000 with dye inks

One is a 60" 5500 with UV inks