• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

trax panel saw or keen cut

Hi everyone. Any suggestion or tips on a good wall mounted trax panel saw or keen cutter. What do most use to cut, corplast, crezon, sintra etc.

iSign

after reading these discussions for years... safetyspeedcut.com wins out over sawtrax by anyone who has had both... but sawtrax still beats a circular saw or table saw...

As D Fleming says, the 2 items you mention are not mutually exclusive.. the Fletcher-Terry wall mount trimmer is great, just like the Keen-Cut Excaliber.. but no replacement for a panel saw... it's a different tool for different work..

but you just said "Keen cutter"... now you risk wasting peoples time being vague... what keen-cut product exactly do you mean?

ChiknNutz

Don't have any personal experience on this one, but looks like it might be a contender for a lot less: http://www.panelpro.com/index.php

Here is one that I did personally look into pretty hard: http://sawsystems.net/
The owner apparently worked for Sawtrax or one of the others and ended up parting ways and made his own. To me, sounded like he built a bit better one for a bit less $$$ too.

Rooster

Does anybody actually use a sawtrax with the knife option, or do you typically have both a panel saw and a fletcher type system?

d fleming

My safety speed cut has the knife option, but I don't use it. Just not on par with a dedicated wall mount cutter.

psbc2009

keencut

I just picked up a Keencut Excalibur 3000 for $400 in excellent working condition. Is this a decent unit for a fair price?? Looking to cut coro, foam board etc. Have not checked out the specs yet on other substrates.

iSign

I just picked up a Keencut Excalibur 3000 for $400 in excellent working condition. Is this a decent unit for a fair price?? Looking to cut coro, foam board etc. Have not checked out the specs yet on other substrates.

nahh... you got burned dude!
...nobody should ever pay that much for one of them useless things...

tell you what I'm gonna do... I'll take it off your hands for $400 since I'm such a nice guy :wink:

Tim Aucoin

Does it look at all like mine? If so... you got ripped off! I'll give ya $550! :Big Laugh

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 87

psbc2009

keencut

Yes it does look like yours...maybe I should buy and sell used equipment, looks like I could make some money :rolleyes:

cartoad

Back to the original discussion----
We have both a Flecher Terry wall mount and a Saw Trax,
The Saw Trax is the model on wheels, so we roll it our the back to do any cutting, for most things it works good and we are very happy with it. I purchased the Dibond cutter for it, overpriced, and a weak handle, along with not working well, basically a waste of money.

The Flecher Terry 3100 wall mount we have all the cutting adapters and use it to cut coro, pvc, plastice, aluminum (.040) and dibond. Fast clean and easy to use.
A negative is it was for us at any rate very difficult to get it to make square cuts. When you purchase make sure they have a tech close to help get it strait!!!
Good luck!

iSign

Yes it does look like yours...maybe I should buy and sell used equipment, looks like I could make some money :rolleyes:

yeah dude... big time ripped off...
don't let it happen twice...

I better offer you $600, because if it ain't worth $400...
then taking $550 would be a rip off when I'm offering $SIX now wouldn't it??

...dangerous world out there :omg:

artbot

if you want butter smooth cuts and more accuracy than you'll ever need: festool ts75 or
dewalt dws520k. you can use these tools to cut everything from rice paper to 1" acrylic. i cut veneer, aluminum, plywood (several sheets at a time), dibond, and petg. and i have the 11' track! panel saws beat the crap out of the edge and are not accurate, not to mention dragging and loading those heavy sheets instead of moving around a 6lb track. no competition.

Mainframe

I have been using this http://www.eurekazone.com/content/ez-track-system-108 for about 12 years, I cut EVERYTHING with this, I can throw it down & cut any substrate in just a few minutes, all PERFECTLY square! I hate out of square signs, the nice thing about this is you can cut HDU also, & it is really quick to use, I just lean it against the wall & grab it & go, I have also used it out in the field a few times. I couldn't run my shop without it!
I guess it is a lot like the dewalt.

MikePro

why buy when you can build your own? Takes me 15min to setup my panel cutter by setting up two tables next to each other and making a guide for my circular saw with scrap aluminum angle/channel and clamps!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-06-19 at 10.42.37 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-19 at 10.42.37 AM.png
    262.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Screen shot 2011-06-19 at 10.42.23 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-06-19 at 10.42.23 AM.png
    556.2 KB · Views: 132