• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Two new vector-based, retro inspired wraps, and a question on solid color printing

Dan Antonelli

Here's two new wrap jobs that should be done shortly. We had a lot of fun on these ones, and clearly I'm loving working with the retro genre. We're blessed to be getting a lot of calls for this specific type of work, and it's a lot of fun to research and execute this style.

I had a question on the printing of these, which maybe someone can provide some guidance on.

I was a little concerned about printing of the solid fields, and were they seam up. I recently had my logo printed (the arrow) about 66 inches wide, and where the seam was, the solid colors did not match up perfectly. So I was a little worried about the abundance of solid colors and if it prints horizontally, if the color on the right edge of the vinyl will match the color on the left side. Someone once told me it had to due with the printer being 'warmer' by the time it prints the next panel (or something like that).

Anyway, just wondering if its something I might be concerned with, or if its a non-issue. And if there's anyone that can print and install these for my client - one is in Michigan and the other is in Georgia, please PM me or let me know. They are looking on their own, but I might prefer someone who's quality I know.

Attachments

• neighborhood.jpg
    neighborhood.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 88
  • retro-hvac-wrap-design.jpg
    retro-hvac-wrap-design.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 83

megacab

i'm diggin that electrician design. couldn't have nailed that retro look better with it. :U Rock: just looking at it makes me think of a diferent time. has a superb customer service feel to it. can't explain it exactly, but it's a home-run.:thumb:

HulkSmash

Here's two new wrap jobs that should be done shortly. We had a lot of fun on these ones, and clearly I'm loving working with the retro genre. We're blessed to be getting a lot of calls for this specific type of work, and it's a lot of fun to research and execute this style.

I had a question on the printing of these, which maybe someone can provide some guidance on.

I was a little concerned about printing of the solid fields, and were they seam up. I recently had my logo printed (the arrow) about 66 inches wide, and where the seam was, the solid colors did not match up perfectly. So I was a little worried about the abundance of solid colors and if it prints horizontally, if the color on the right edge of the vinyl will match the color on the left side. Someone once told me it had to due with the printer being 'warmer' by the time it prints the next panel (or something like that).

Anyway, just wondering if its something I might be concerned with, or if its a non-issue. And if there's anyone that can print and install these for my client - one is in Michigan and the other is in Georgia, please PM me or let me know. They are looking on their own, but I might prefer someone who's quality I know.

Hey Dan. With some of the older print technologies this was an issue, not all the time....it was just random.. which is why we moved on, and bought a latex. This thing prints the exact same color, on every single panel. Just finished up a few full sized e150's, no color difference. Had a customer who we did a wrap for 3 weeks ago come back, needed something patched, cause she hit her car, was a solid pink... reprinted the same pink.. same color no problems. Overall you shouldn't have a problem with the solid colors ending up being different. Make sure you find an installer who can line up that line pattern fill....

Dan Antonelli

Love the designs, but I'm curious as to how they work on the passenger side?

The electrician's one has a version of the logo which is mirrored, so that one works perfect on both sides. The HVAC one, I decided to have logo break the plane of the angled striping so that I could carry the stripes to the rear and keep it symmetrical. Not quite as ideal, but still works OK.

Patentagosse

Dan, in Versawork (Roland) there's a case to check to avoid the no-match panels. It's in Clip and Tile tab... called Place alternated.

It prints panels with seam facing each other so in other words, it turns panels 180° every 2 panels to make sure the color is consistent at overlaps. It really works (even if I don't use it regularly due to size of work I do).

'Hope it helps.

Yanick
Montreal, Canada:Canada 2:

Attachments

• Dan solution.jpg
    Dan solution.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 85

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Flexisign has a similar function. On the tile tab make sure to check "automatic tile flip". We are printing a bunch of full bus wraps right now which has a nearly solid reddish background on - on jobs like this one I can usually tell if tile flip was not turned on.

Dan, in Versawork (Roland) there's a case to check to avoid the no-match panels. It's in Clip and Tile tab... called Place alternated.

It prints panels with seam facing each other so in other words, it turns panels 180° every 2 panels to make sure the color is consistent at overlaps. It really works (even if I don't use it regularly due to size of work I do).

'Hope it helps.

Yanick
Montreal, Canada:Canada 2:

ProWraps

awesome advice. we called it "color shift". it was annoying as hell. i just did the tile flip setting on flexi.

ill see how it works on the next job. i HATE color shift!

speedmedia

Yes, color shift is horribly annoying, we too where able to correct it like the others above.

And, we are in MI and would love to print and install them for you if they are somewhat close.

Thanks,
Kurt

Sign Works

Those look great Dan. Is that a chin dimple? Might look better without.

Attachments

• chin dimple.jpg
    chin dimple.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 88

johnnysigns

^^^ Agreed, you guys are setting the bar pretty high. Look forward to getting a logo and perhaps a website done w/ GDS.

Typestries

Hey Dan-agreed with what folks said-rotating every other tile helps. Maintaining room temperature helps. HAving the entire machine up to temp by running smaller jobs first helps.

And having a 100+k true grand format like a vutek 3360 helps, too, but not everyone has that.

Or, as colorado said, it's a non issue with the latex-or so that's the experience we have also had. We'll be adding additional latex capacity for sure.

jasonx

Hey Dan-agreed with what folks said-rotating every other tile helps. Maintaining room temperature helps. HAving the entire machine up to temp by running smaller jobs first helps.

And having a 100+k true grand format like a vutek 3360 helps, too, but not everyone has that.

Or, as colorado said, it's a non issue with the latex-or so that's the experience we have also had. We'll be adding additional latex capacity for sure.

Side question. Have you found the length of the panels with the OMAS sensor to be accurate? I've just added the latex and wanted to see other peoples opinions on it.

Typestries

Side question. Have you found the length of the panels with the OMAS sensor to be accurate? I've just added the latex and wanted to see other peoples opinions on it.

Funny you should ask- for the first time we just had 2 panels-120" long, be off by 3/8" ! First time this has happened since we got the thing in december. Luckily we had taped up the panels pre sticking them down and found out. We tweaked the install a bit and it worked out fine, but frustrating and added extra install time nonetheless. The color across these 2 panels, was perfect though.

Dan Antonelli

^^^ Agreed, you guys are setting the bar pretty high. Look forward to getting a logo and perhaps a website done w/ GDS.

Thanks Johnny (and others). The funny thing about setting the bar high for yourself is that it means the next go around needs to be even better.

I'm always trying to 'outdo' ourself on each job. And that does get harder and harder. But it's a philosophy which has served us well. Complacency never leads to improvement.

I have MAD respect for you guys who install these things. Its very nice to sit in my chair and design - and not worry about how much of a pain it's going to be to line up one side to the rear - or whatever. You guys make it easy.

It's been over 5 or 6 years since I personally installed a van partial wrap. Hard work for sure, and I really sucked at it in terms of speed.

jasonx

Funny you should ask- for the first time we just had 2 panels-120" long, be off by 3/8" ! First time this has happened since we got the thing in december. Luckily we had taped up the panels pre sticking them down and found out. We tweaked the install a bit and it worked out fine, but frustrating and added extra install time nonetheless. The color across these 2 panels, was perfect though.

Cheers I'll make sure we roll out the prints and check them before using them so we know where we are off. :)