• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

watcha think.

showcase 66

Reading others redesigning their logo got me thinking about messing around with mine. I was bored tonight so I messed around a little bit. Have about 20 layouts I did but I like the looks of these 5 the most.
Not sure if I will use any of these but It got me thinking for other clients I am in the works with.

Anyways. Let me have it.

I have one that looks like isign did for someone else. Liked the look so I wanted to see what it would look like with my twist.

Thanks

Attachments

• LOGOTEST.jpg
    LOGOTEST.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 77

SignManiac

I like the variety of formats but don't really care for the font choices..Colors are good but need some minor tweaking.

showcase 66

Out of all of them I prefer top left and bottom right, but I also agree with SignManiac about the font choices and colors. Not really feeling the orange and red text. What font is CSDD and & signs? Is it Marker....?

I think the font was Braddon or something like that.

SignManiac

This is what comes to mind for me. Good fonts make a huge difference and color possibilities are endless. So long as legibility is not compromised.

Attachments

• CDSS Graphics.jpg
    CDSS Graphics.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 81

formanek

I like the way you are working , but logos should have some resemblance of what the business is without having to read all the text. A few of them I actually thought about pizza looking at the triangular nature.

Marlene

I think they all look a bit too busy.

my first thought too. there's way too much copy to make it that complex. I like how SignManiac broke up the copy so that it is easier to read. you could try using the pie shape and break out the copy to se how that works. if looks like you are going to a casual/fun looking logo and I think you can do it but not with those fonts set up as they are.

showcase 66

This is what comes to mind for me. Good fonts make a huge difference and color possibilities are endless. So long as legibility is not compromised.

I like that look too.

I like the way you are working , but logos should have some resemblance of what the business is without having to read all the text. A few of them I actually thought about pizza looking at the triangular nature.

my first thought too. there's way too much copy to make it that complex. I like how SignManiac broke up the copy so that it is easier to read. you could try using the pie shape and break out the copy to se how that works. if looks like you are going to a casual/fun looking logo and I think you can do it but not with those fonts set up as they are.

I can see it being a little busy and yes the fonts are not the first choice. Partly what I was doing was just getting some different layout formats to have. Usually I use Photoshop for most things since I am more proficient at it. I used Illustrator for everything so I can be better in that program. I just hate how things are backwards between the programs.

Here is one of the first ones I was messing around with. Again the fonts arent the first choice, just what I had at the time. This one is a little to retroish for me. After laying it out it looked like an old car emblem.

Attachments

• csdd carlogo.jpg
    csdd carlogo.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 83

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i agree, the fonts still aren't working for me....and there's too many outlines...I can only read CSDD when i look at the thumb.....i'd suggest working b/w until you have the design set, and then start adding in colors.

SignManiac

Try working in black and white as has been suggested. When you get that right, the color will come easy.

Attachments

• CDSS Graphics2.jpg
    CDSS Graphics2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 62
  • CDSS Graphics3.jpg
    CDSS Graphics3.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
This is bad stuff... I'm gonna be honest like you were with banner boy....

DO NOT SHOW ANYTHING UNTILL YOU THINK YOU HAVE GOTTEN THE FONTS RIGHT.

Otherwise it's a waste of time. The logos shown with the bad type are awkward, stumbling attempts. Try easing up on decorative type, maybe mix straight type with decorative but try to use no more than 2 typefaces.

Ease up a little on the outlines and drop shadows until your proportions are correct.

Better yet, fumble through a few sites or books about logo design.

Now here is your kick in the nads >kick< >then runs off<

iSign

I have one that looks like isign did for someone else. Liked the look so I wanted to see what it would look like with my twist.

if I'm not mistaken, I believe it might have been a sign maniac layout you were remembering?

regarding your efforts so far, I would make a comment about the fonts, and the software... just keep using illustrator... don't think of it as backwards, just get used to it. Having mental justifications in the back of your mind only serves to limit you..

same with fonts. they are important and to "mess around", but to imply that not bothering with good fonts is just a minor thing... I think you are wasting a valuable resource... two actually... your time, in trying to create a pleasing design.. and then all the benefits you have access to here...

go put in the good fonts, or go buy some, and then go put them in... it makes no sense to bang out 20 versions you would consider upgrading your own business identity to, and not break out the good china.. reminds me of them unlucky kids on the block who's parents had the furniture showroom look going on, with all the protective plastic still on the living room couch & you weren't allowed to touch it.. what the hell kind of "living" room is that?? looked more like a gloomy funeral parlor without us kids getting to play around..

so, play around with some good fonts & good things will come of it!

showcase 66

if I'm not mistaken, I believe it might have been a sign maniac layout you were remembering?
You are correct It was SignManiac.

regarding your efforts so far, I would make a comment about the fonts, and the software... just keep using illustrator... don't think of it as backwards, just get used to it. Having mental justifications in the back of your mind only serves to limit you..
I have been using it more and more. Usually things with multiple colors and gradients I would always use photoshop. Especially backgrounds and things like that.

same with fonts. they are important and to "mess around", but to imply that not bothering with good fonts is just a minor thing... I think you are wasting a valuable resource... two actually... your time, in trying to create a pleasing design.. and then all the benefits you have access to here...

go put in the good fonts, or go buy some, and then go put them in... it makes no sense to bang out 20 versions you would consider upgrading your own business identity to, and not break out the good china.. reminds me of them unlucky kids on the block who's parents had the furniture showroom look going on, with all the protective plastic still on the living room couch & you weren't allowed to touch it.. what the hell kind of "living" room is that?? looked more like a gloomy funeral parlor without us kids getting to play around..

so, play around with some good fonts & good things will come of it!
I agree with using the good fonts. Basically I was to lazy to hall my a$$ 25' to the office space, turn the alarm off and turn my computer on to pull from my fonts. I know I need to upgrade my font library and plan on doing it soon. Which makes me think of some questions for another thread.

Like the analogy as well. Reminds me of a friend of mine when I was a kid.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

showcase 66

This is bad stuff... I'm gonna be honest like you were with banner boy....

DO NOT SHOW ANYTHING UNTILL YOU THINK YOU HAVE GOTTEN THE FONTS RIGHT.

Otherwise it's a waste of time. The logos shown with the bad type are awkward, stumbling attempts. Try easing up on decorative type, maybe mix straight type with decorative but try to use no more than 2 typefaces.

Ease up a little on the outlines and drop shadows until your proportions are correct.

Better yet, fumble through a few sites or books about logo design.

Now here is your kick in the nads >kick< >then runs off<

All good points. I am trying to think of it as making lemonade out of lemons. I just forgot to add sugar to make it taste right.

>lying on the floor in pain<