• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Website script or program - Design your own sign

bois323

Hello,

I was wondering what script or program does sites like signorama and speedysign use that allows you to design your own sign? They look identical so I'm thinking it's probably a script you can buy - Or is it a company that provides that service.

Locals Find!

There are company's that sell the software(s) the ones I have looked at for the printing industry usually run $15,000 - $100,000 a year.

Honestly, the general public isn't capable of using that software to achieve a decent looking sign.

J

john1

Yep, takes the artwork charges away from shops too. Then we are just selling materials pretty much

garylyb

Techman

the problem is..
Those online sales robots never lead the client to call.
The priority is to get a call to make appointments.

anotherdog

I was involved with a company doing that for banners a few years ago.

You let a client design the sign, you will end up with an unhappy client.
The best thing is to talk to the customer and develop a relationship.
Plus if it did catch on how long before your $1 per square competitor installed the same thing?

In the race to the bottom, everyone loses.

Ah dammi t, I have an earwig in my keyboard...! under the space key...how do you get rid of earwigs? plagues of them this year.

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
I have seen this too and have wondered myself where to get it. Thanks for the information I know we get calls all the time about getting artwork done but have no knowledge of how to do it and do not want to pay artwork fees. This is a great alternative but does anyone have one especially marked for like banners not just t shirts?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Cute............. very cute.

Can I have you make this sign I designed on Jimmie's website ??

It gave me all the information I needed and then I took a 'screen shot' and this is what I want.

I did all the design work, so this should pretty cheap..... huh ??

peavey123

I'm also looking for this plug-in but not for just anyone to use.

I was involved with a company doing that for banners a few years ago.

You let a client design the sign, you will end up with an unhappy client.
The best thing is to talk to the customer and develop a relationship.
Plus if it did catch on how long before your $1 per square competitor installed the same thing?

In the race to the bottom, everyone loses.

Ah dammi t, I have an earwig in my keyboard...! under the space key...how do you get rid of earwigs? plagues of them this year.

You could say that, or it's a way to weed out the PITA customers who wouldn't pay for a design anyways. Depends if you are a glass half full or half empty type of person.

Techman

Anything that stand between your client calling you is bad. Anything that allows the bizz owner to turn a client into a paying member of the bizz is good.

This play on the web self design type stuff stands in the way of the client making first contact. = BAD!

ScottB

When I was developing my website, I found the company who sells customized websites using their online sign engine. The software is pretty automated. The order is taken, sent to a "machine" and the operator loads the material. You know the rest of the process. The software handles all the production based on the order, the accounting, and shipping. There just needs to be a body that will put tape on the box.
The pricing at the time was either a yearly subscription ($15K+) or a percentage of your sales. I think the company was based in Florida, since I had numerous calls from salespeople wanting a commitment.
If you're a large shop and want to do that quality of stuff, good luck! If you like dealing with clients and making their ideas better, and most of all, a repeat customer (the best type!) stick with what you know!

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Anything that stand between your client calling you is bad. Anything that allows the bizz owner to turn a client into a paying member of the bizz is good.{/QUOTE]

+1 on this point.

A website (with design software or not) is just a tool. Just like a circular saw, you can use it to make money, or you can use it to cut your fingers off.

If we ever went retail again, I would use a website with design software to do the following:

• Refer PITA customers there. They deal with the design, they pay upfront with a Credit Card through the site.
  • Use the site for add on products like business cards
  • Upload simple existing products like yard signs and banners for easy reordering.
  • Give the customers the ability to put an idea down, then have the ability to send it back to me for refinements. It gives everyone a place to start.
A good website and customer contact policy can open the door. Just because part of the process is automated doesn't mean there can't be a follow up call or even messages in the software suggesting they give you a call so you can help them take their ideas to the next level.

wedosigns

I have tried this a couple years ago. It just did not work. My customers could not figure it out. It seemed real simple to me.
The cost is about $80 per month to add to your website. You can customize your pricing, your backgrounds, and your clipart and sizes.
It is a bit of a pain for figuring out the formula for quanity discounts.
I tried it for 4 months with no sales from it, just a lot of customers telling me to do it the old way,"You design it"
Here is the link to the website renting out the softwarehttp://www.nusignsupply.com/idesign-online-design-software-p-727.html
Here is a link to a demo http://www.colorsxpress.com/
If you do decide to put this on your website let me know if it does generate any business.
Cheers Bruce

Joe Diaz

I was wondering what script or program does sites like signorama and speedysign use that allows you to design your own sign?
Why on earth would you want to do that? It hurts your business by removing a profitable service you could be offering, and it hurts theirs by allowing them to create what will most likely be a crappy sign.

You take design out of the equation, what separates you from the guy down the street? Price? You can't say service, because if you give a novice the tools to design their own sign, you doing them a disservice. A professionally designed sign is effective, an unprofessional looking sign is ineffective at best, and could send the wrong message at worst, in effect doing harm to that person's business. It's a lose, lose IMHO.

You could say that, or it's a way to weed out the PITA customers who wouldn't pay for a design anyways. Depends if you are a glass half full or half empty type of person.
The best way we weed out PITA customers who don't want to pay for design work, is to tell them we charge for our design work. :wink:

SD&F

We offer our own quoting system. They need to put all their information in and if they have artwork they can enter and ask us to improve. This still gives us the opportunity to go in and quote and create the proof for them. I then have their information. I can call them back or email them. It works great for us, I don't think the design your own is effective.