• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Well, I finally did it, and it's finally put together...

Circleville Signs

I ordered my 4'x8' CNC about 6 weeks ago. The kit came about a month ago, but I have been buried and haven't had time to build the thing. Finally started on Friday. Finished it up today. Haven't attached the spindle yet, and one of the first thing I'm going to build is a vacuum table, but here she is. Loading Mach 3 and hooking up the computer tomorrow. Hopefully get some test cuts going tomorrow evening at some point.

Attachments

• Router.jpg
    Router.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 194

phototec

I ordered my 4'x8' CNC about 6 weeks ago. The kit came about a month ago, but I have been buried and haven't had time to build the thing. Finally started on Friday. Finished it up today. Haven't attached the spindle yet, and one of the first thing I'm going to build is a vacuum table, but here she is. Loading Mach 3 and hooking up the computer tomorrow. Hopefully get some test cuts going tomorrow evening at some point.

Looka great!

How about some details, specs, cost, etc?

:smile:

Circleville Signs

It is a machine by a company called CNC Mogul. It is meant to work as a "hobby" machine, however I upgraded the motors and upgraded the gantry to take a mid level craftsman 2.25hp router. It isn't a machine that is on the level of a ShopBot, etc. It is definitely entry level.

All in, counting my build time in billable hours, and including software, I'm going have about $4500 in the machine. My plan is to use it as a learning system, do jobs (it will do any job that the big boy machines do, just slower), and take the money it makes and set it aside. Then, if the market proves itself, I will pay cash for a heaver duty machine.

It is a rack/pinion system.

FatCat

You already know I'm chomping at the bit to see this thing run.

Happy for you and I hope it's the ticket for what you need it to do. :thumb:

TXFB.INS

looking good, interested in seeing how it works.

I wonder if Artbot has ever thought about doing these style kits, his mad genuine Frankenstein projects ROCK!!!

for your room, what are you doing for dust collections?
How study is the base? it does not looks as robust as other units I've seen.

Circleville Signs

I haven't decided on dust collection yet - there is an $80 attachment for this machine that hooks up to a shop vac that I may go with, however I am considering building an acrylic "cage" to go around the whole table-top with one end and one side hinged. That way, all the dust stays inside the table top, and when the cut is finished, open a side, clean it up with a shop vac, and I'm done.

As for the table itself, it is entirely homemade, and not at all as "sturdy" as something like a shopbot or a multi-cam. I used 4 sections of Gorilla Shelving and that's that. Much sturdier than you woul think, but mostly because the table itself, with the rails and gantry, weighs about 300 lbs.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Awesome, wish i had room for one.

I would think with an acrylic enclosure, it would dust over really fast to the point where you could no longer see your work. I would definitely go with a dust collection system of some sort.

Stagecraft

We run two Shopbots and this is my choice for a dust shoe http://www.kentcnc.net/nc/products/94-standard-dust-shoe.aspx, it's held in place by a couple of rare-earth magnets so it pops off easily for fast bit changes. Of course now that you have a cnc machine, half the fun is designing and fabricating your own parts.
Shopbot has a very friendly forum, do a search for Let's Talk Shopbot; anybody can join but you might want to keep quiet about your own machine; lots of ideas for vacuum hold-down systems, dust collection etc.
If you haven't got it on your radar yet I'd strongly advise that you think about a vacuum hold-down system; they make ALL the difference in the world. You'll find a few varieties on the Shopbot forum but take a close look at the Bradyvac setup. That's what we use and it works beautifully! The real bonus is that the whole thing is DIY and it utilizes household vacuum motors so it's relatively cheap to put together with PVC tubing and valves available at any hardware store.
One nice thing about running a vacuum hold-down and a dust collection system is that you'll end up with substantially less airborne dust; what the collection system misses gets drawn to the table by the hold-down system!
Good luck with the cnc, it's a bit of a learning curve but well worth the effort! - Boyd

Stagecraft

Forgot to mention, the best place for the vacuum motors (if you don't mind a little Jesus shoved down your throat) is Central Vacuum http://www.centralvacuummotor.com/lighthouse.htm on the left side menu on their site you'll even see a link for Shopbot vacuums!
On a standard 4x8' table two motors are sufficient for us, three would be sweet though. - Boyd

Circleville Signs

I was actually planning on building a MDF vacuum table and running it with a shop vac. I've seen this setup before and it held down a 4'x8' piece of HDU with no problem. That was using a simple tiny shop vac.

I do need to make/buy a dust shoe and get some kind of dust collection in place though. I will check out the stuff you recommended.

rjssigns

I think there may be overheating issues deadheading a shop vac. IIRC someone posted about them catching fire(?)

If you want to do it like the big boys get yourself a regenerative/ring blower. They are made to run 24/7/365. Got a lot of experience with them at my former job. Cheap? Not exactly. Bulletproof? Pretty much. Never remember replacing one or sending repair parts out.

BTW Congrats on the CNC. You realize you're now required to keep the rest of us in the loop.

Circleville Signs

Yeah....I'm not 100% sure how to go on the vacuum table. I'm sure that I will put one together at some point. Right now I'm just going to route some channels and put T-track in and use clamps. I will most definitely keep everyone in the loop :smile:

Stagecraft

I think there may be overheating issues deadheading a shop vac. IIRC someone posted about them catching fire(?)

If you want to do it like the big boys get yourself a regenerative/ring blower. They are made to run 24/7/365. Got a lot of experience with them at my former job. Cheap? Not exactly. Bulletproof? Pretty much. Never remember replacing one or sending repair parts out.

BTW Congrats on the CNC. You realize you're now required to keep the rest of us in the loop.

The regen blower is awesome, but can be a big current draw and kinda' spendy.
Yes, you can use a shop vacuum, just not a Shopvac. The only shop vacuum that will do (as far as I know) what you want and not risk overheating is a Fein Turbo 2 which features a fan cooled motor.
For not much more than the cost of a Fein you can build your own zone selectable mdf based system with a vacuum motor or two.
Either way, best of luck with it! - Boyd