• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

News We're Back Online With Our New Design!

Like our new design? Vote in the poll and post about it...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SignsSupport

Support & Tech Administrator
Looks okay.
I miss not seeing everyone's location. I.E. Irving, Texas.
We'll be adding members' location. It will appear in the postbit.

Will take some time adjusting, but not too bad.
Clean
A clean, more modern and functional concept is what Paul and I are striving to achieve.
Thanks for the feedback.

I noticed that when searching the results are not sorted based on the age of the thread and a lot of older threads are listed before the most current threads. They also seem to vary from search to search. For example, I did a search for Summa and the first batch of results were from 2014 and then did a second search for Summa and those results were from 2004. Doesn't seem like the search tool is organizing the results at all. Hopefully this is something that will eventually be fixed.
I believe the search settings were set to show the 'most relevant' threads/posts, as opposed to ordered by date of post.
I'm not sure if that will change or not. Will consult with Paul about that.

It's possible I missed these things but what I see so far.

I was one who used the carbon theme, didn't know if theming/color options would be coming eventually. Long term project by all means.

Is there a new way to refresh to see new post. Again, with the old site I could just refresh the page and it showed the newest posts. Now it literally just refreshes the page without reloading any information. Have to click New Posts to see new posts now. Its a usability thing, a habit to change, but its just something I saw.
I'm not sure if Paul will want to develop a theme similar to the carbon theme or not. That's up to him.
You should be able to simply click the "New Posts" link -- it appears on all forum pages btw -- and easily load all new posts. One-click functionality. The "New Posts" link should appear underneath the "Forums" dropdown if you on computer or within the "Forums" menu if you're browsing via device. Once you familiarize yourself with the functionality - I think you'll view it as more usable than the vBulletin functionality. I hope so anyway... It was a big change for me going from vB to XF too - But I eventually found that XF's ease of use is much functional than vBulletin has ever been.

This is the one thing that I'm missing about the old one.

Everything else, just takes time to grown on one. That's really it. Some options in different places etc, but once one gets used to that no big deal.

Noticed one quirk on an iPad viewing the home screen and the "new posts" section. Seems to have "squished it" some.

Everything else takes time to get used to, but I do miss the theme, especially the carbon one.
Thanks for the feedback @WildWestDesigns
Perhaps the carbon theme will eventually make an appearance. IDK... I hope you will familiarize yourself with the new options placement. I hope you find it a bit more intuitive than the old forum.

How does one report a post for helpful reasons to the site ??

How do you PM someone ??
@Gino - thanks for the slew of questions LOL. IDK if there's a how-to type thing - but I'll look for one a bit later.
Meanwhile - PLEASE FAMILIARIZE yourself with the different aspects of the Xenforo platform. Here are a few screencaps for a couple of your questions anyway:
signs101-pm.gif

signs101-reportpost.gif

Very easy and highly functional. Right?
Oh ... PMs are referred to as "Conversations" in Xenforo. I still call them PMs though LOL

I too miss seeing the location of Users. I have no idea how to quote someone or use the seemingly superfluous "multiquote"
Location will be re-added. Do you not see a "Reply" button? Multiquote: click it - the XF script will tell you it's multi-quoted... Click Multi-Quote on all the posts you'd like to reply to ... Scroll to the reply form and add the quotes like so:
signs101-multiqote.png

I'll disagree with you. It's not superfluous. Not one bit.
It's highly functional.

i voted kinda sux, by the time i got to the bottom of this thread I was actually wanting the old one back...
Thanks for the vote of confidence..
If you have any constructive feedback or any actual suggestions or requests - I'm sure Paul and I will consider it.

OK, I just PM'd somebody and I really like the "conversations' feature as opposed to the old PM system.....

starting to grow on me...
Yeah. The functionality will grow on you @ddarlark ... Apologies for the multi-quote. I obviously felt the need to reply: I'm sensitive about my sh!t hehe. Anyway - Please familiarize yourself with the functionality. I think you and everyone else will grow to appreciate it.

There will be the usual getting used to the new format phase...and some don't like changes in their cages.
I would say it looks like it was designed to pander to folks that need glasses or didn't have big screen monitors.
I'm assuming it's to be more Mobile Friendly.
It is mobile friendly. Completely responsive with an off-canvas menu that is accessible from all forum pages. The PC version is even better imo. How would you make it more mobile friendly @Kentucky Wraps? Anyway thanks for the feedback.

J.

SignsSupport

LOL, it would have just melted away on it's own, but ya had to mention it.... this is signs101, now you'll just be harassed because someone knows it gets under your skin.....
Ha! I did say in an earlier post that "I'm sensitive about my shyt" - But I'm not really ... Not at all.
I'd just appreciate constructive feedback and suggestions. I can't do anything with that adorable drawing other than put it in a frame and hang it on the kitchen wall or something LOL - But I'm here to help Paul (in the spirit of Trump) "Make Signs101 Great Again" ... Only - the goal here is to make it better. And I think he's made a brilliant start by choosing to upgrade to the Xenforo platform. It'll take a bit of time getting used to - but I think you guys will appreciate once things are all sorted.

J.

SignsSupport

I don't see those possibilities on mine. Guess I've been banned for asking so many questions..............:confused: View attachment 123234
Thanks for posting that! I'll check on user options momentarily. Obviously you can't PM yourself though right?
And I see you have the waving flag smilie in your signature. The smilies will make a return sometime this evening.

In the meantime - you all may want to check your own options:
signs101-personaldetails.gif

Some of the info you input there will appear in the postbit of all your posts like so:
2017-01-25_16-55-57.png

J.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, again, mine doesn't look like that. I've been doing all these things and nothing seems to be working the way you're saying. Nothing shows up as you indicate, either. Guess I'll just wait and see if this stuff miraculously starts working. Maybe I should log off and back on.

Attachments

• 101 no authoriz.jpg
    101 no authoriz.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 293
  • 101 contact details.jpg
    101 contact details.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 262
Last edited by a moderator:

SignsSupport

Well, again, mine doesn't look like that. I've been doing all these things and nothing seems to be working the way you're saying. Nothing shows up as you indicate, either. Guess I'll just wait and see if this stuff miraculously starts working. Maybe I should log off and back on.
My apologies @Gino. I'm not at all sure why - but the Premium Subscribers usergroup permissions were all messed up. I have no idea how that happened - but you should most definitely have access to the Personal Details section now. Please try again and verify if whether or not you now have access. And nope. No miracle... You could call me an angel (LOL) - but all I've done is adjusted the usergroup permissions for you. Thanks for your patience.

J.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Thank you for replying to my question. When you say the search function sorts results by relevance, yet when I type a simple search query like Summa and it brings up posts from 12 years ago, I am not sure how "relevant" those search results are. Is there a way that I can adjust my settings where it sorts by date since those posts are far more relevant to us as a merchant member than what the forum deems are most relevant?

SignsSupport

Thank you for replying to my question. When you say the search function sorts results by relevance, yet when I type a simple search query like Summa and it brings up posts from 12 years ago, I am not sure how "relevant" those search results are. Is there a way that I can adjust my settings where it sorts by date since those posts are far more relevant to us as a merchant member than what the forum deems are most relevant?
Hi @PHILJOHNSON ... Thanks for bringing the issue to our attention.
I'll make some adjustments to the search functionality and rebuild the forum search index. This process may take upwards of 20 minutes to rebuild 1,000,000+ posts and the myriad of images shared in the media gallery. We'll appreciate your patience. And yes - Paul has asked to enable recency weighted relevance searching. So future searches will be more accurate.

J.

Msrae

Rae
I am going to wait a bit before I vote - so far I'm not liking it, but that is just because it is very different from the old site. I think a lot of us need time to cruise around the site and see what works and what is a big PITA.

PS - what are the "points" that show up with my posts and picture in the top left corner?

SignsSupport

@PHILJOHNSON - The search index has been rebuilt. I've just done a search for "Summa" and see 5 pages worth of results. The results are chronicled by relevancy with date taken into prominent consideration. Hopefully future searches will produce a similar result such as:
summa.png

Any better?
Does the script produce similar results when you search for "Summa" or any other terms relevant to the niche?

J.

SignsSupport

I am going to wait a bit before I vote - so far I'm not liking it, but that is just because it is very different from the old site. I think a lot of us need time to cruise around the site and see what works and what is a big PITA.

PS - what are the "points" that show up with my posts and picture in the top left corner?
@Msrae - It's the Xenforo 'trophies' feature. It's 'sorta' like vBulletin reputation system = only better IMO.

signs-101-trophies.gif

Click the link to View All Available Trophies.
@Eon Media may eventually add more and/or customize the available trophies and points based on member participation.
It's just a neat way to award members for their activity.

HTH. And hope once you've familiarized yourself with the enhanced site functionality - that you will have a positive opinion of the upgrade. Thanks for the consideration!

J.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
@PHILJOHNSON - The search index has been rebuilt. I've just done a search for "Summa" and see 5 pages worth of results. The results are chronicled by relevancy with date taken into prominent consideration. Hopefully future searches will produce a similar result such as:
View attachment 123242

Any better?
Does the script produce similar results when you search for "Summa" or any other terms relevant to the niche?

J.

Excellent, thank you for making that happen!

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

Msrae

Rae
@Msrae - It's the Xenforo 'trophies' feature. It's 'sorta' like vBulletin reputation system = only better IMO.

View attachment 123244

@Eon Media may eventually add more and/or customize the available trophies and points based on member participation.

HTH. And hope once you've familiarized yourself with the enhanced site functionality - that you will have a positive opinion of the upgrade. Thanks for the consideration!

J.

Msrae

Rae

View attachment 123244

J.
Thanks! There are definitely some nice new features. I like the home page, and the new quick links, as well as the little image that sits next to threads you have replied on as well as the new profile drop down. It is much cleaner. However, I am having difficulty finding where I can go to a specific forum. The only thing I can find under the forums tab are the quick links. Is there a way to get to the numerous forums we used to have so that posts can be more area specific? IE - general sign making, Roland, Graphtec, etc. Maybe I'm just a dummy, but I can't see these separate forums.

-edit- Nevermind, I figured it out. I guess you have to click on the "forum" tab twice to bring you to the forum main page, instead of just once which only brings down the drop-down quick links.

Last edited:

SignsSupport

Thanks! There are definitely some nice new features. I like the home page, and the new quick links, as well as the little image that sits next to threads you have replied on as well as the new profile drop down. It is much cleaner. However, I am having difficulty finding where I can go to a specific forum. The only thing I can find under the forums tab are the quick links. Is there a way to get to the numerous forums we used to have so that posts can be more area specific? IE - general sign making, Roland, Graphtec, etc. Maybe I'm just a dummy, but I can't see these separate forums.

-edit- Nevermind, I figured it out. I guess you have to click on the "forum" tab twice to bring you to the forum main page, instead of just once which only brings down the drop-down quick links.
Oh no! Not a dummy at all. Thanks for asking. You should actually be able to mouse-over the "Forums" dropdown, which will extend automatically. Once the dropdown appears - simply clicking on the "Forums" link should bring you to the main forum index. You shouldn't have to click twice, only once, but after the dropdown appears.

Another neat feature of Xenforo is the Quick Navigation. Signs101 has an extensive forum list - but it could come in handy. I've added it to the main navigation menu as you can see in the screencap below:

signs101-quicknavigation.gif

Navigation at the click of a button ... Especially if you have familiarized yourself with the huge list of forums available for posting.
On XF sites that I frequent a lot - it really comes in handy as easy access to the specific forum in which I'm looking to post.

J.

Status
Not open for further replies.