• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wet Installation Help

daenterpri

I don't know if I'm doing wet installation correctly. I use a spray bottle full of water and a little dawn soap. The problem that I'm having is that when I go to take the masking off, the graphics seem to want to come with it much of the time. Even if I spray down the outside of the masking with soapy water. I've tried letting it sit and dry for a while and I've also tried removing the masking right away, and I still have this issue.

Do I need to let it sit and completely dry? I feel like I'm squeegeeing it quite a bit, but maybe I need to squeegee more?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

If your using dawn you should only be using 1-2 drops and you just need a light mist of spray. Don't soak it. If you get to much on there you will get the results you are getting. You should let it set for a while for some of the water to evaporate and the adhesive should start to stick.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If your application is to plate glass, you may be encountering additives in the glass that make the transfer more difficult. You can usually tell by sticking a piece of masking tape to the glass to test adhesion. In cases like that, I usually clean with a harsh chemical such as acetone before applying.

You could also try using just water without any soap in it. Otherwise, go have a cup of coffee and allow it some evaporation time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Come back the next day and remove it.

Try to learn to do it dry.... that will solve about 98% of your problems.... especially those pesky return trips.

Tony McD

+1 .... just a drop or two of soap in homemade fluid. Some add some alcohol to speed up the dry time.
When I started out, I made some of my own fluid. I have seen vinyl fail due to
what appeared to be bad adhesion on a job or two, so to eliminate the problem I just buy app. fluid.
It's made for it, and I sleep easier using the correct product.

Put the vinyl down, let it set several minutes, squeegee again, wet the transfer tape, and remove.
You didn't say what you are applying it to, but sometimes glass can take a while for the fluid to dry up enough to remove the tape.

Pat Whatley

Rapid Tac....it's cheap considering how little you actually need to use and it works beautifully.

I know, I know....homemade stuff is pennies and available immediately and I use it too but no mixture I've even found matches up with the ease of using Rapid Tac.

strypguy

You really want to use baby shampoo rather than dish soap. Stops the Suds!

+1.

I've been using Johnsons Baby Shampoo and water mix for vinyl installs and window tinting for 16 years. No problems yet.

John

daenterpri

Oh boy. I've been using more than 2 drops. I sure hope I don't get any returns! I ordered the rapidtac. On the jobs I've been doing wet, I really don't think there is a way to do them dry.

HulkSmash

Oh boy. I've been using more than 2 drops. I sure hope I don't get any returns! I ordered the rapidtac. On the jobs I've been doing wet, I really don't think there is a way to do them dry.

Can you post an example pic? I find it hard to believe that something can't be installed dry.

GoodPeopleFlags

I used homemade formula for years. My recipe was to get a regular size spray bottle, fill it up about 20% with isopropyl alcohol, 1 - 2 drops of Dawn and the rest with water. Never had a problem.

daenterpri

I used homemade formula for years. My recipe was to get a regular size spray bottle, fill it up about 20% with isopropyl alcohol, 1 - 2 drops of Dawn and the rest with water. Never had a problem.

I feel so dumb now. I previously thought I read somewhere online that it was 10-15 drops of soap. Bleh. I hope it doesn't fail. So far none of my stuff has, but most things I do dry.

artbot

i don't do wet applications, but if you want the best off the shelf non-sudsing surfactant, that would be bissel hard floor cleaner (for their cleaning machines, available a walmart).

HulkSmash

Might be possible... but really hard at least for the big "DELIVERY" pieces here: http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=900112#post900112

The logos were done dry. Only the "DELIVERY" pieces were done wet. The side bumpers and door handles would be really hard dry.

Why not do that wrap in 1 piece? Wait - cut vinyl... that whole thing? If so i applaud the job you did. Still, dry is the way to go, you can do it, and once you master it, the job will get done 12 times faster. Just Hinge and Rub :Oops:

daenterpri

Why not do that wrap in 1 piece? Wait - cut vinyl... that whole thing? If so i applaud the job you did. Still, dry is the way to go, you can do it, and once you master it, the job will get done 12 times faster. Just Hinge and Rub :Oops:
Yep! It was cut vinyl. Thought it would look more vibrant :) I'm practicing dry, but it still seems like any time I install dry on anything with complicated curves that I get too many bubbles for my liking. And on a big install like that, if I messed up one thing, the whole thing would be toast. I'll keep practicing though!

Thanks for the advice.

HulkSmash

Yep! It was cut vinyl. Thought it would look more vibrant :) I'm practicing dry, but it still seems like any time I install dry on anything with complicated curves that I get too many bubbles for my liking. And on a big install like that, if I messed up one thing, the whole thing would be toast. I'll keep practicing though!

Thanks for the advice.

You using Cast cut vinyl?