• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What came first, the chicken or the egg........................ ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Have a potential customer who bought a property about 4 months ago and is in the process of renovating the building. In the process, he took two 4' x 6' double sided electric signs down and threw them away. They were on two separate single poles with arms for hanging the signs. They have all the necessary guy wires and reinforcement cables. The poles are 6" OD, but no way to measure the walls. It's flange bolted to a cement circular cement base, about 24" in diameter. I'm pretty sure, the municipality here is going to want an engineered drawing, but my question is this...... what comes first ?? If I (or the owner) investigates to find out if the existing poles will support the new signs, will he hafta dig those foundations up to see how deep they are ?? Also, what if the codes changed and the signs are no longer grandfathered in ?? Next, if no one knows the foundation under there and he can't make a new foundation, is he screwed ?? I told him, we could've used everything as is, if he hadn't thrown them away. If they were still there, it would've appeared we just slid new faces in. This way, it's all new. Just a clusterfug of circumstances. Oh yeah, and this place is across the street from the municipal building.......... :banghead:

Billct2

Yep, I have seen similar situations. I guess I'd ask the zeo what would they need for documents for replacing two existing signs with two of the same..
that they are gone may not hurt or may quash the whole thing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I doubt it. These signs were really old. I think the area (overall township) has been divided up once or twice since these signs were first erected and have had different codes from today's standards. And like you said, back when this was originally done, not many people got permits for this kinda stuff, plus it's out in the country at a kinda busy intersection.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just called the guy with that suggestion.

Me: told him what you said.
Him: no, we got rid of them.
Me: no, listen to what I'm saying and told him again.
Him: but we don't have them.
Me: I know, but let's just pretend you do and they'll be forced to let us put them back up all newly fixed and repainted.
Him: How, we don't have them anymore.
Me: I know, I know, we're just gonna do this for the permit. We'll put absolutely all new ones back up.
Him: Oh, new ones, not the old ones.
Me: Okay.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't know of a single company around here with radar with ground recognition frequencies. I also don't think if it's a large company or a small company, anyone will disturb these poles. Do you know how it's done and what instruments they use to accurately measure a small hole in a steel pole ?? I guess we could drill a nice sized hole and then weld a flap back over it.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
They have ultrasonic gauges to measure steel thickness. We use them to measure vac tank walls to determine how much of the original material has abraded off of them from use.

Notarealsignguy

I would think that either one would be acceptable to an inspector, it's not like they come out with a caliper and check anyone before they install. You could tell them 1/4" wall and put in 1/8" and they would likely never knows unless it failed and killed someone. We use an electronic mil gauge for paint and that is what the inspectors use at the end of a job.

Edited: the first thing I posted wouldn't do what you needed

Notarealsignguy

Not sure but ultrasonic checking is required to get an NHRA cert for a roll cage. NHRA sanctioned tracks won't allow you to compete without a current cage cert.
Do they check the bends? I think that is where you lose thickness in assemblies.