• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what can I use to clean the hull of a boat

gabagoo

I have a 22' boat in the shop for reflective striping and the hull just won't come clean with methyl hydrate or all purpose cleaner. Is there anything that is safe to remove these stains? If not how well does vinyl stick to it?

Tifosi

have you tried Ghost Off? Another product that works well for boats is the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, just be sure to prep it before vinyl.

Billct2

If the stains are in that good vinyl will probably stick to it just fine, as long as the customer doesn't mind the stains. It sounds like it needs a complete buffing, which I wouldn't do myself. I'd have the owner over and show him the situation and let them make the call.

gabagoo

ahhh yes the magic eraser, How foolish of me. I use it at home on the pool and spa and the dirt comes off easily. genius.....
.....off to Home Depot, I will let you know how it worked.

thank you

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
wrapped my boat this season....had to buff the heck out of the hull to get the oxidation and stains out.

m giese

Couple of questions?

Does the boat have any anti-fouling bottom paint?

What is the hull substrate?

Freshwater or Saltwater

Is it staining or oxidized gelcoat/paint

Describe the staining or post a pic if you have one...

Tifosi

ahhh yes the magic eraser, How foolish of me. I use it at home on the pool and spa and the dirt comes off easily. genius.....
.....off to Home Depot, I will let you know how it worked.

thank you

your welcome!

It was the end of this past boating season when a buddy of mine broke out the Magic Eraser on his Hull and the stains were just disappearing with ease. Not sure what kind of stains you have going on but it's worth a try.

Peace out!

Nomad57

Slimy Grimy

I used this to clean the stains on my boat. Mix with water in a gallon sprayer. Spray on, let sit for about a minute and you can see the stains lighten up and go away. Hose down, dry and buff or wax.

This comes in a small container (powder) about $18.00 a tub. Check the marine stores.

I have 22 year old fiberglass boat (white with teal striping and accents) still looks new!

http://www.slimygrimy.com/

JoshLoring

If its an older boat we make the client get it acid washed by a detailer before wrapping. Most real detailers are familiar with this process and will wash after.
Comes to you nice and ready for isopropanol :)

Typestries

Dollar store -> LA's awesome. Boat yard "secret"

Wet hull, spray on full strength, scrub with soft brush, wait a few minutes, rinse. Takes most oxidation off every time. Won't touch stains though, for that you'll need on/off (acid, basically). It strips wax really well, too.

SignManiac

Couple of questions?

Does the boat have any anti-fouling bottom paint?

What is the hull substrate?

Freshwater or Saltwater

Is it staining or oxidized gelcoat/paint

Describe the staining or post a pic if you have one...

These are the appropriate questions. Can't provide an intelligent answer without first knowing what the hull is made of. I would have to inspect first hand before making any recommendations.

Billct2

Of course all if you do the cleaning you charge extra and take responsibility for anything that goes wrong?
So this thread is 2 months old, what did you do Gabagoo?

Last edited:

sdodson1

+1 for Awesome and if it is actual stain on the hull you can use the hull cleaner from walmart. It is an acid spray or sponge on and hose off good. I boat in a murky lake and have to use it several times a year to keep my white hull white!