• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What does a graphic designer do?

phototec

should be pre 80's instead of pre 60's.....cause the usage of graphic designer didnt come about till the computer.* you are right prior to 80's COMMERCIAL ARTIST, SIGN PAINTER, MURALIST seemed to cover the spectrum and all who was involved were capable of drawing, sketching with a multitude of mediums.
* it was in use prior to computers but was defined totally different. mostly in the advertising, clothing world. then it became used by those who believed they were artists, AND needed a name for moving clipart around on a computer)))))

Raffe's Graphic Design, published in 1927, is considered to be the first book to use "Graphic Design" in its title.

My working job title was Graphic Designer - Commercial Photographer in 1973, working for a casework manufacture, I was tasked with both the design, layout and principal photography for all marketing collateral and printed catalogs.

Yes, I did NOT have a computer, just a good set of Rapidograph technical pens, set of Berol Prisamacolor Art Markers (dual tips), a whole lot of LeteraSet press type, and of course a Compugraphic typesetter, and don't forget for the waxer to stick everything to the art-boards.

:smile:

beckys

I also am a Graphic Designer before the computer age...
so I might take a little offense to all your comments, BUT
I can relate to all the crap you all get, because I get the same.

Bly

Oh yeah I used a stone chisel on rocks and spraypainted ochre out of my mouth onto cave walls...

I agree. A lot of designers have a nerve calling themselves one.
It's not like you need a degree to hang up a shingle is it?

OldPaint

ok you OLD GRAPHIC DESIGNERS...........no kidding. yes YOU DID EXIST... but was usually with other jobs. the guy who taught me sign painting was an ARTIST, if you claim GRAPHIC DESIGNER. MY CONTENTION WITH THE LABEL.....TODAY.... is like i said, those who cant draw STICK FIGURES... and call themselves graphic designers......when i had my storefront, wasnt a week went by 2-3 people would come in looking for work as a GRAPHIC DESIGNER....i would hand them a legal pad and a pencil...........tel them to DRAW ME SOMETHING.........they would look at me like i stabbed them in the heart))))) then the reply was.....OH I CANT DRAW......I DO GRAPHICS ON A COMPUTER.....hence my feelings for graphic designers...
OF WHAT HAS BECOME OF THE LABEL......

p3

Old paint, I think you are looking at the term all wrong. A graphic designer doesn't have to be able to draw. If you wanted a sign, that read legible, got people in your door, it doesn't necessarily need to be drawn. If the designer has good color theory and layout practices, he is choosing to use the computer as his tool to convey this message graphically. Just as you choose to use brushes and paint, and some people choose to use pens, pencils or whatever. A graphic designer takes what a client wants, makes it look good, while functioning well. If you handed me a pad and pen, I could draw. I could draw you earth worm jim, animals, whatever...but that doesn't mean I know theory or psychology behind what gets people in your door to purchase more signs. Lots of you are focusing on just the computer aspect. But it simply is just a tool. Some people that can operate pens, can't operate computers. Doesn't make anyone with a pen, brush, computer or whatever a graphic designer. Knowing what is effective - does.

Joe Diaz

Since no one takes me seriously when I use my job title: "Lord Creator of Visual By-Products", I have no problem with them calling me a "Graphic Designer", heck I'll usually settle for "Hey You!"

OldPaint

Old paint, I think you are looking at the term all wrong. A graphic designer doesn't have to be able to draw. If you wanted a sign, that read legible, got people in your door, it doesn't necessarily need to be drawn. If the designer has good color theory and layout practices, he is choosing to use the computer as his tool to convey this message graphically. Just as you choose to use brushes and paint, and some people choose to use pens, pencils or whatever. A graphic designer takes what a client wants, makes it look good, while functioning well. If you handed me a pad and pen, I could draw. I could draw you earth worm jim, animals, whatever...but that doesn't mean I know theory or psychology behind what gets people in your door to purchase more signs. Lots of you are focusing on just the computer aspect. But it simply is just a tool. Some people that can operate pens, can't operate computers. Doesn't make anyone with a pen, brush, computer or whatever a graphic designer. Knowing what is effective - does.

in psychological terms....we call this........."rationalization." YOU, want to be something your not and in turn you make up the rules to meet your inabilities so you can feel like you really ARE ONE.
and sorry to say......no amount of your "interruption" and YOU giving yourself "positive reinforcement"(your the only one that believes what you say)will change you having no talent, to someone that is....................
AGAIN.. i say......the title dont mean you know anything. and from my perspective on what those like you consider...... all the technical jargon you spew, STILL DONT MAKE YOU HAVE TALENT AND ARTIST ABILITIES...........
i been drawing since i was a kid(1950's) painting signs since the late 50's, was schooled in mechanical drawing, drew architectural blueprints, air brushed a lot of vans in the 70's, did a lot of painting while in the military, attended PENN STATE, and worked as an assistant to the art prof, been in the business of selling sign to clients since the mid 80's /AND STILL DOING IT....YOU, are in the same graphic world abilities as me? sorry for your disillusionment.

James Chrimes

Some good post here. I had to laugh at some of them. I was looking for a like button. Old Paint, P3 has some good looking designs if you check out his gallery. There are usually two ways to get to any destination. Meaning sometimes the old way will get the job done but new technology might be the newer more effeciant way to go.

p3

lol, Old Paint, the point you are arguing really just makes me laugh. I do like the honest feed back you are giving tho. I have thick skin so I take it as is and can only try to get better from it. But you are blending the term artist and graphic designer. Pablo Picasso may have not made a good graphic designer when it came to marketing materials, yet created amazing pieces of art that influenced propaganda pieces and many artists and some to this day. He created a style. Still someone has to take a style and make it function as a marketing asset. It's blending great type that reads well, and using correct spelling and grammar, it's more than throwing something on a canvas. I have never said anything about your abilities or what you are capable or not capable of producing. If you are creating great marketing assets for all the clients that is generating them business, which in turn is generating you business, then that makes you a great designer. If you've been doing it for 50+ years, you have obviously been doing something right.

My whole thing was to simply suggesting to maybe step outside your shell of the sign world. Yes, a sign is essentially like anything else, it's a potential business lead. One of the many marketing pieces a person sees in a day. A computer is my tool ( I do use pencils, I do use pens, I do use charcoal, I use paints, I use a camera and more). With this tool, I create a piece and test and tune. So while you may not think I have talent and artist abilities, I have the ability to make people buy. Just as a Web designer would test different color "buy now" buttons, using different words on those buttons and reflecting on the results to use what creates the most action - I do with almost every piece I create. I try to refine. If you can't do that, how do you ever expect to get better? Proven results along with a good design make someone a graphic designer. I still agree 100% with what a lot of people, including you have said and how people call themselves graphic designers, yet really aren't. There is lots of that out in the world though, people say they are lots of things that they are not. People know the good problem solvers, or the people that are really good at their trade. It's not a fluke when someone is successful - it's because they are good at what they do.

p3

James - Exactly. When cameras came out, they took the portrait jobs away from people that used pens/pencils/brushes but no one complains about that anymore. It free'd up those artists to create more things, different things and experiment. A camera was a different way to do it. Almost everyone has a camera and can take pictures, but for some reason people pay thousands of dollars to those who are good at snapping photos. Same principle. I think being able to utilize all tools is the best thing anyone can ask for.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Since no one takes me seriously when I use my job title: "Lord Creator of Visual By-Products", I have no problem with them calling me a "Graphic Designer", heck I'll usually settle for "Hey You!"

I generally just get 'Hey'............. :Big Laugh

Really folks, doesn't matter how old you are..... or how young you are presently. People going around giving themselves titles because they think they earned it is just lame. Over the years I've seen and interviewed so many graphic artists/designers and all those other titles they're given upon graduation and whether they can draw stick figures or Michelangelo's, don't mean squat. Sure, some really good ones slip through and get recognized quickly, but that is not the norm by a long shot.

The janitor bit was just a joke..... true, but still a joke. However, about the only title I might throw out there is 'Partner', if it's needed. It's kinda common sense and normal practice not to talk to the secretary or accounts payable people about sign needs, but how many people call asking for the 'Graphic Artist' ?? Almost every person calling in or stopping in says... who can I talk to about signs ?? Others might say, do you guys make logos or make banners ?? Can you give me a quote for some truck lettering ?? Do you guys do those changeable LED electric signs ?? I don't think anyone has ever asked for a specific titled person..... other than telemarketers and spammers.

If you want people to know what you do, really, why is a title necessary ?? They want to know what you do, not what your title is. Oh, I'm vice-president in charge of closing the bathroom windows. I'm the director of entertainment. Yep, yes-siree..... I'm the graphic artist and I'm important in this here place, just ask me and I'll explain. How vain can you be ??

p3, I believe you are mixing the term graphic designer and salesperson. You're talking about using and schmoozing with words and terminology which the prospect might find dazzling and just succumb to your well used words..... much the same as a 'Used Car Salesman'. You could use advertising planner, merchandise handler, marketing coordinator and so many others, but you're hung up on graphics designer for some reason. If you like it, just use it. No one is trying to change your mind or schmooze you over. We all have our ways of producing sales and yours just seems to be with words.

John Butto

I am a Artwhore, will give you anything you want for money. A short ride around the block or supreme package vacation to Tahiti. S&M and threesomes will be extra. Obama is my pimp so he does get a percentage. On a side note, I am getting old in the saddle but still give a pretty good ride.

Marlene

for any of us who got "schooling" in graphic arts would agree with P3 when it comes to the what a graphic designer does. a designer may or may not have the skills of an illustrator but an illustrator is a skill all in it's own. OP it gets a little sad that you crap on anyone who is not 110 years old and understands the a computer is just a tool like a brush, pencil and paint. a computer doesn't make a person with no talent a designer and it is sad that the skill has been muddy up with every hack who buys a 'puter and a $79 design program. in that I do agree with you. as for a title or not, our industry gets no respect for the talents we have. we whine about it here everyday. people think we have a computer so why are we charging them for a layout? don't we just push a few buttons and ta da , a sign. online design your own sign on some sign people's website also waters dwon the skills needed to make a sign. anyone who calls themselves anything but a title that says I ahve skills, I am a professional isn't helping our industry and are only helping to fuel the public's preception that anyone can do what we do.

mark in tx

A graphic designer is someone who has $40,000 in student loan debt to get a fine arts degree and ends up taking a $12.00 an hour job at a sign shop.

A graphic designer is someone who takes a customers terrible idea of advertising and makes it less terrible, and occasionally gets the customer to buy off an a great idea.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, other than a title in a financial institution, a church, school, hospital, grocery store, sandwich shop, bingo hall or whatever...... again, who needs a title in a sign shop ??

Perhaps the guy blowing the neon or the screen printer..... maybe the owner or the other areas of our trade, why must a customer know who or what to ask for when buying a sign or a marketing plan ??

Honestly, I'm not trying to make fun of it, I just don't understand the need for a title. My main job is to make sure enough sales go through the shop a week and I really don't care what they call me. They can call me Gladys or Happy Bottom.... I'll still help them so I get paid. One of the first things everyone asks when getting hired is.... what's my job title ?? I respnd with, what do you want it to be, we'll make it anything you want, but you won't get a higher pay scale.

Seriously, I don't see the need for a title..... and that goes for most industries. Sure, you might call and ask for accounts payable, but a person eventually answers the phone and helps you with your questions. Then you say, can you connect me with the production facility ?? So, if no one has that title, do you just hang up on them ?? If someone asks for the graphics designer and not by name, I would wonder why. All but one person here does designing and layouts. We all can do basically each others jobs... except me. I don't want to anymore, unless I absolutely have to. Anyway, back to the title thing, do you really think having titles in this trade will bring back respect and higher pay if we hand out titles to everyone ??

Regardless of being 110 years old or just coming in to this trade last week, a title means nothing..... if ya can't walk the walk or talk the talk, ya ain't gonna make it whatever your title says/is. How many people here have graduated from lettering art school, graphics two year course or any other institution and can't muddle through things, but have a title ?? Having the title does not magically make you into something/someone you aren't. You earn it and once you've earned it, usually once you recognize within yourself you have it, it doesn't matter what anyone else calls you...... except D!ck Head............ :Big Laugh

p3

I don't have debts, nor $12 an hour. I do more than just sign shop. I get this is Signs 101 - but I was thinking grander scale. More than sign shops, more than signs.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
More than sign shops, more than signs.

Gosh I thought sign shops did graphic design...

When you say signs.. what kind of signs?
Some do banners, stickers and digital print... some do a lot more, gotta think grander...

We can describe a graphic designer till we're blue in the face.
The caca stops when you split open your portfolio or when someone rummages through your website.
Been doing this long enough to know that some people will never get it, even other graphic designers.

OldPaint

p3, only thing i can tell you with your "definition" as to being a salesman........that is not a hard job either. i seem to remember what P.T. BARNUM said:
" there is a sucker born every minute." so yea you can sell something to someone who dont know any better.
i see GRAPHIC DESIGNER signs all over the place....and i know just by looking at em, it was because if a REAL SIGN ARTIST did it......it would look really good.))))) my pet peeves are BANNERS & yard signs...........WITH UPPER & LOWER CASE LETTERING.....for all the text. really shows a GRAPHIC ARTIST made the sign in M/S WORD. if you put 2 words on an 18" x 24", say yard sale.........why is it done in upper and lower case? YARD SALE, CAR WASH, HELP WANTED...........all in uppercase conveys the message!!!!!! I.J.A.F.S. Not a letter)))))