• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What glue to use to adhere 15LB sign foam to itself?

MediaQuest

We're making a layered dimensional sign out of 3/4" thick 15LB sign foam. We've routed each individual piece (letters/shapes) with the intention of hand-sanding and painting them, then glueing them to a painted sign foam backer panel. Since this is an outdoor application, I'm concerned with what type of glue/adhesive we use - obviously we don't want this to fall apart being exposed to the elements. The bigger elements will be screwed through the back, but there are several small parts that will need to be adhered only.

What glue works best, foam to foam? Does it matter that it's painted first? Do we seal everything with clear when it's done?

Sorry for my ignorance, but this is our first attempt at dimensional foam signage. Any comments saying we should have routed the sign out of one solid piece will not help me at this point.

TIA

TammieH

Gorilla glue...Sign Foam?? or equivalent I assume?

Make sure you follow directions closely to avoid mess...
very very thin coats and mist with water and MUST be clamped or use a lot of weight.

MikePro

you talking HDU sign foam?
Gorilla Glue works great.

I, however, use the PB Fast Set from Coastal Enterprises.
Basically teh same thing as Gorilla Glue but it hardens in 5min and fully dries in under 30min, LOVE IT!

GVP

If you are looking at small parts that would be difficult to clamp down, I would suggest epoxy. Gorilla Glue is great, but it will push apart small parts unless you can hold them together while it cures.

tcorn1965

We're making a layered dimensional sign out of 3/4" thick 15LB sign foam. We've routed each individual piece (letters/shapes) with the intention of hand-sanding and painting them, then glueing them to a painted sign foam backer panel. Since this is an outdoor application, I'm concerned with what type of glue/adhesive we use - obviously we don't want this to fall apart being exposed to the elements. The bigger elements will be screwed through the back, but there are several small parts that will need to be adhered only.

What glue works best, foam to foam? Does it matter that it's painted first? Do we seal everything with clear when it's done?

Sorry for my ignorance, but this is our first attempt at dimensional foam signage. Any comments saying we should have routed the sign out of one solid piece will not help me at this point.

TIA

Welcome from a fellow Iowan!

Terry

MikePro

paint and clearcoat your individual pieces, leaving the backs of the layers unpainted, and pin-mount the layers with finishing nails (as studs) and a dab of gorilla glue

test first with scrap materials. you'll get a feel for it.
between the studs/glue, that sign ain't comin' apart anytime soon.

MediaQuest

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. We did a test with Gorilla Glue, and adding water was the trick. Awesome!

MikePro

Thanks everyone for your quick responses. We did a test with Gorilla Glue, and adding water was the trick. Awesome!
yup! it will even activate itself by pulling moisture out of the air, but i've always just spritzed the pieces with a water bottle after laying a thin layer of glue, and mashed them together once I saw the glue start to swell.

keep a close eye, and you can sometimes catch the glue if/as it oozes out and remove it with an xacto before it has a chance to harden.

Jillbeans

you talking HDU sign foam?
I, however, use the PB Fast Set from Coastal Enterprises.
Basically teh same thing as Gorilla Glue but it hardens in 5min and fully dries in under 30min, LOVE IT!
I'd go this route with pins as well. GG can expand like crazy and make a huge mess. Be careful with the amount of water you use.
Love....Jill

jkdbjj

Loctite also works wonders, we are going through a case a week on a job, and in the end it is what held up best. Our application boards were 90" long, so we needed something we could use an application gun.
You get about 15 minutes before full set, but it is pretty solid on initial contact.