• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is wrong with the State of Florida?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
So the Mrs. heads over to the Florida Driver's Permit office this morning to renew her permit that she's had since 1987. She has her permit (which includes her photo) along with secondary stuff like a current utility bill and her birth certificate etc. The last two times it has come up for renewal, four and eight years ago, it was done by mail because that was all the State of Florida wanted.

This morning she waits for more than an hour in line (no appointments anymore) and is told that she needs to also provide marriage certificates for each of her four marriages to demonstrate the legitimacy of her change in name from her maiden name to mine; an actual social security card even though she has been receiving her retirement for three years now (neither of us has seen our SS cards in years); and a bunch of other stuff. When this has been accomplished, the state will renew her driver's permit and even include a star on the upper right corner to demonstrate that she's a citizen (even though her birth certificate shows that she was born in Portland, Oregon).

All in all I'd estimate that it is going to take about two man days for her to round up all the stuff demanded as well as a trip into the Social Security office and another trip back to the Driver's Permit office.

Rant over. Please keep any replies free of political commentary.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
So the Mrs. heads over to the Florida Driver's Permit office this morning to renew her permit that she's had since 1987. She has her permit (which includes her photo) along with secondary stuff like a current utility bill and her birth certificate etc. The last two times it has come up for renewal, four and eight years ago, it was done by mail because that was all the State of Florida wanted.

This morning she waits for more than an hour in line (no appointments anymore) and is told that she needs to also provide marriage certificates for each of her four marriages to demonstrate the legitimacy of her change in name from her maiden name to mine; an actual social security card even though she has been receiving her retirement for three years now (neither of us has seen our SS cards in years); and a bunch of other stuff. When this has been accomplished, the state will renew her driver's permit and even include a star on the upper right corner to demonstrate that she's a citizen (even though her birth certificate shows that she was born in Portland, Oregon).

All in all I'd estimate that it is going to take about two man days for her to round up all the stuff demanded as well as a trip into the Social Security office and another trip back to the Driver's Permit office.

Rant over. Please keep any replies free of political commentary.

heh, heh....

SebastienL

That's an international problem, I think... That's one of the reason there are always two security guards here at the local SAAQ (DMV equivalent in Quebec). Just in case someone gets fed up with administrative bullcrap and decides to jump the counter...

Techman

Just another benefit of the illegal alien challenge. My son was challenged at the school board because he doesn't have blonde hair and blue eyes like I do.
After about 18 minutes of listening to their demands I simply said show me the rule book and where is says I have to do what you are demanding. Then said sue me and walked out after they started the sputtering and stammering.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
One of the marriage certificates (Oregon from the 1960's) is on the way. Cost $32.00. Waiting for the Washington office to open. :frustrated:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps that's why we have so many illegals driving around without licenses and insurance..... it's too frickin' hard to get paperwork through the proper channels........ especially down there :ROFLMAO:

I'm surprised they didn't require dental impressions and first-borns.......​

Maybe it's a girl thing. Will you have to go through the same thing ?? :covereyes:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Perhaps that's why we have so many illegals driving around without licenses and insurance..... it's too frickin' hard to get paperwork through the proper channels........ especially down there :ROFLMAO:
I'm surprised they didn't require dental impressions and first-borns.......​
Maybe it's a girl thing. Will you have to go through the same thing ?? :covereyes:

I'll find out next year. :omg:

genericname

That's an international problem, I think... That's one of the reason there are always two security guards here at the local SAAQ (DMV equivalent in Quebec). Just in case someone gets fed up with administrative bullcrap and decides to jump the counter...

Hahaha! Before I read further than "SAAQ", I thought "why would they need that much security at the liquor store?"

Anyhow, RE: the Florida thing. A bright, shiny gold star. Wow.

Marlene

people have asked for tougher laws to cut down on illegals and they can't do it without making people prove they are who they say they are and are from where they say they are from. it is a pain but you can't have tougher laws without some pain-in-the-buttness.

njshorts

My wife is going through the same thing... Went with a copy of our marriage cert (certified copy was lost in a move), SS card, bill with our address/her name (maiden), bill with our address and her current last name.

She lost her ID, needed a re-issue.

They told her to go get a new SS card, come back with a certified copy of the marriage cert and her birth certificate.

What a mess... Didn't think the DMV could get any worse.

paul luszcz

This is a tough one to keep apolitical. I'm in Massachusetts and I can renew by mail. My license photo is over ten years old. I like it because 1., it's easy and 2., I looked better then.

miker

That's it? Last time I was at the NJ Motor Vehicle Agency, I waited over two hours...

THIS!

I waited about the same for a replacement title. I had all the paperwork and payments completely filled out before I even came in. WI is no better (and IL is worse).