• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What material is pylon and how do i remove this sign blank?

Ponto

I will never get into these types of jobs if i don't make myself familiar with what's needed for them.[/QUOTE]

TRIAL BY FIRE!!!!!!!

JP

J

john1

I just went to see the light box and there's nothing on the sides but 4 bolts under the entire bottom half which is 2 bottom bolts per sign

How will it come out that way?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
John1.....

With all of your novice questions on the matter, something else has come to mind, especially since you have no idea of what you're doing in this area...............

Do you have the right kind of insurance to even be playing in an electrical box ??

Have you ever told your carrier that you intend to go up on a ladder into the air and work on electrical signs ?? When refurbishing an electric box, you still need the proper insurance. See, if there is a bare wire, something shorting out or a raceway that has become undone, you need to be able to report it and fix it so no one gets hurt down the line.

Do you also know how to pull a permit for this type of work ?? Any work of this nature must be accompanied by a permit explaining to the municipality where this is to take place, that you know what you're doing and should anything go wrong... you will be held 100% liable for whatever that situation might be. In other words, you are taking the municipality off the hook should something go wrong. Generally, you need 2 million to 3 million in liability. Without that, you are illegal doing anything on this job.

You wanna start somewhere... I will never get into these types of jobs if i don't make myself familiar with what's needed for them. .... start at the beginning. Learn what you want to do first, before you kill somebody.

FS-Keith

I wonder if it is one big piece of plastic with vinyl dividers. Thats why the other company quoted removing and reinstalling vinyl.

J

john1

Thanks for all the help everyone, If i end up getting the job and using existing faces, what can i do in the meantime with the empty sign blank hole?

Pat Whatley

I wonder if it is one big piece of plastic with vinyl dividers. Thats why the other company quoted removing and reinstalling vinyl.

I doubt that. The individual panels all look like they're in different stages of yellowing like they've been changed several years apart.

Is the face frame around all six panels hinged at the top? It's possible that if you take out the two bolts the whole face will lift up allowing access to the individual faces.

Thanks for all the help everyone, If i end up getting the job and using existing faces, what can i do in the meantime with the empty sign blank hole?
If you're going to reletter the existing panels I'd strip and reletter them on-site, no need to bother with taking the frame apart. If you're replacing them with new faces you'll install the new ones at the same time you remove the old ones so there won't be a gaping hole.

J

john1

Well i wish it was that easy but the faces have the previous business logo on them and have been turned around so the vinyl is faces INWARD i guess since they closed up. So, the panels need to come out anyway.

I just need to know what to do with that hole since i'll take the old off and bring them back to get removed and relettered.

Thanks!

That's A Wrap!

Why don't you just do the removal and application of the vinyl onsite. If you do it there it should not take more than an hour or two and you save some gas!

Raulrdz

One thing to keep in mind is that in most states even re-lettering the face of an existing sign cabinet requires a state electrical sign license. That is even is you don't touch the electrical. However, opening the cabinet to replace the acrylic with a new one goes beyond just re-lettering. State fines are not cheap at all, not to mention the local jurisdiction may revoke your local license...if you have one. Then you will lose your surety bond... if you have one...then your insurance will cancel your policy...of you have insurance. Worst of all your vendor will not want to sell you anymore pylon.