• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What the hell is wrong with us?

Salmoneye

This actually started as a response to another thread and some things I see going on in my town and on here at 101. Decided to post it as a thread instead. It started as someone talking about making a 2sf print/cut decal, it also caused me to attempt the longest run on sentence in history.

I can't believe what people will do a one off anything for a few dollars. I have a minimum, 1 custom sticker like that is going to cost lets say $65 It doesn't matter what the material costs. I have to take the order, bs with the customer, receive the file, make sure it is ok to print, add cut lines, check color profile and possibly convert, fill out a work order, make a file, send the job to the rip, load correct material, rip file, print file, have the finished print sit somewhere for 2 days, unload material, there is wasted material making room for the crop marks, laminate, extra laminate for the extra space of the crop marks plus even more waste fore and aft if you are using an actual laminator for such a small piece, time to reload and setup sheet, back to the rip and cut file, unload job, weed, trim, updating work order, calling or emailing to say that it is ready, write invoice, meeting and bs with customer when they pick up, explain how to hinge a 24" sticker to customer, give them a cheap squeegee, collecting and or running credit card, paying credit card fees, giving them a receipt, depositing their payment...

I am sure that I have left tons of stuff out and that isn't even taking into account standard overhead like lights, advert, legal, acounting, rent, taxes, material, ink, equipment depreciation, phones, paying for all the jobs that get screwed up or not paid for or bounced checks, the holding costs of your inventory...

This is all assuming that the file was really ready for print and that nothing goes wrong. If we think that 5 decals really costs any notable amount more to make than one decal we are fooling ourselves! I tell customers that 1 of whatever might cost $65, two for $80, 5 for $110... 1,000 business cards might cost $100 but you wouldn't sell 10 for $1

I know that this is just going on and on but I am really tired of seeing people giving away work and destroying so many small businesses in so many different fields. I don't care if you work out of your moms basement or a huge high tech shop, a decal has value, price it at what it is worth. If your overhead is low than your margin will be larger, you will also do less volume. If your overhead is high, you will charge the same, have less margin and make up to it in volume and efficiency. Many are in this business because they are creative people or some just know how to run a printer, whatever the case we are in business, act like it. If you really want to do it as a hobby and give away your work than actually give it away. I would have much more respect for that.

Do quality work that shows the difference and value between a professional and a customer produced job and charge for it.

I am not a big shop or the best sign maker but I aspire to be. I don't care to be the cheapest price in town nor necessarily the most expensive, I do however want to make an honest living, proud of what I do and add to this industry.

(Totally made up, hypothetical prices so don't give me any crap about them)
I will get off of my soapbox now but in closing, a banner in a small shop does not cost the price per sq foot of material and ink. Let's say just to use a number that the true cost is a hypothetical $4 per sf when you include ALL of your costs. We can sell 100 banners at $4.50sf and try to keep the doors open while using all of our time that could be better spent selling or producing high end product or we could make 16 and a half banners at $7 per sf making the same profit with 16.5% of the time, materials and wear and tear. We could spend some of that extra 83.5% of the time that we just created designing something to be proud of and developing relationships with our customers. The rest of that time could be used for actually making a profit.

We are not China and their business model is not going to work for us here, that market is already being served. Why don't we do something that adds instead of takes away?

My preachy 2 cents, only my opinion but it drives me crazy and I wanted to vent.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just sent a quote off to a customer on Thursday who wanted to supply his own stock for some posters. I'm not at the shop, but I remember the numbers.

The size of the poster is 28" x 40". Single sided. He's going to supply the 10 pt. clay-coated stock.

He's been buying them from us for almost a year now with our supplying it on synthetic paper and came up with this silly proposal. Also, he never buys more than 6 at a time.

So, I quoted him:

• 1 poster = $125.00
  • 2 posters = $125.00
  • 3 posters = $125.00
  • 4 posters = $125.00
  • all the way down to 16.....
  • then they go for $8.00 each on up.
He actually said, well that's not gonna help me save any money.
I told him probably not, but your way isn't going to help me make any.

To go a little further, when he came in, we were in the middle of printing a $6,500 order and I said, do you think I'm gonna stop that and pointed to all the chit being cranked out... to print your two posters for $16. ?? As he was leaving... I said to him..... in the time you were here, we just spit out about $950. worth of work.

Needless to say, he is a sign broker from our area and just doesn't understand anything other than his own selfish needs. :doh:

Flame

Great post! One of my big mistakes starting, would end up making $3-$5 decals for everyone. I had to stop and think....wait, WTH am I doing? I'm still working on the perfect pricing strategy but I heartily agree!!!! Great post.

OldPaint

SIGN BROKER: somebody who is trying to make money off your IGNORANCE!!!!!
and i aint igor-nate!!!!!i had one of these approach me in a paint store few years back. hands me a card, YOU CANT READ, for the amount of schit, poor layout & font choices and tells me, "we can make some money workin together."
i looked at him after he got done tellin me how WE was gona make money...........this was all i said........"SORRY, truth is..........YOU........CANT AFFORD ME."!!!!!!!!!!!
and that was that. i seen him a couple times since then. doin bulb replacements for another sign company)))))))))))))))
NOW AS FOR SELLIN CHEAP......... dont get me started, but you have!!!!!
as an "old brush man," not the best of em, but i got paid well for the work i have done...........i have witnessed the DIMINISHED WORTH of product produced due to untalented, know nothing enter level vinyl jockeys who knocked the schit outa the market for years till the now EVEN LESS TALENTED, KNOW NOTHINGS who somehow because of daddies or rich relatives, go out buy a $30,000 machine, buy expensive material to print on, crank out crap work, and price it like its nothing more then COW MANURE(something that is very plentiful and cheap)just to keep that expensive piece of equipment running SOOOOOOOOOO those who own/lease it DONT HAVE TO HAVE IT SERVICED by expensive people(who charge more then they are worth)to fix what you dont know how to do. i just dont get it, might be cause i CAN DRAW AND PAINT, or because iam 65 and see how worthless technology has made a once challenging and talent oriented profession into wall paper hangers and those who only know how to hit the button that says PRINT!!!!!
in my brush days, i know you youngins dont wana hear it...........BUT i have hand lettered 3 complete stock cars, in 4-5 different colors, got paid $250 EACH..........did them in less then 8 HOURS..........and had maybe $15 in consumables & PAINT!!!!!! now thats MAKIN MONEY!!!!!
i think ill go throw some POTS)))))))))))))))))))))))

Last edited:

royster13

Salmoneye I see what you are getting at, however, I think you are looking at it from the point of view of profitable and professional sign maker....If you turn a few jobs away because they do not meet your standards, no problem as you still have enough work to put food on the table......

But for many that are entering the business lately, they have spent their last few hundred $s of savings to by some cheap equipment and they need to generate some cash flow to eat...They are in much more "desperate" shape that most who ply their trade in this arena....So their prices reflect the reality in their world...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know roys…..

I really do understand the theory of… you gotta start somewhere, but if you want to come in the back door, lie and cheat…. then be prepared to starve or get pushed out of the way by those that don’t give a darn about you’re pathetic way of undermining an industry that has credibility.

If you can’t cut the mustard… don’t make up some cockamamie story why you have to wreck it for the many others that know what they’re doing.

If someone buys a cheap plotter, some cheap vinyl and doesn’t have a clue as to what they’re doing and gets a few pointers or tips from a place like s101 or a neighborhood old sign maker… that still doesn’t equate to selling for less or selling an inferior product and telling unsuspecting customers it’s the real thing and then when it goes bad, the customer now has a bad taste in his mouth for ALL sign people and doesn’t trust a single one of us. Now we’re all playing the same tune as that hack sign gay/gal and we all pay the price by losing credibility due to an a$$hole among our ranks pretending to be a sign person.

When are you people gonna learn how these dimwits and half baked hacks are ruining a dying industry because they don’t want to know the correct procedure anyway. If they truly cared, they’d learn their trade before they play make believe sign maker.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Ya know roys…..

I really do understand the theory of… you gotta start somewhere, but if you want to come in the back door, lie and cheat…. then be prepared to starve or get pushed out of the way by those that don’t give a darn about you’re pathetic way of undermining an industry that has credibility.

If you can’t cut the mustard… don’t make up some cockamamie story why you have to wreck it for the many others that know what they’re doing.

If someone buys a cheap plotter, some cheap vinyl and doesn’t have a clue as to what they’re doing and gets a few pointers or tips from a place like s101 or a neighborhood old sign maker… that still doesn’t equate to selling for less or selling an inferior product and telling unsuspecting customers it’s the real thing and then when it goes bad, the customer now has a bad taste in his mouth for ALL sign people and doesn’t trust a single one of us. Now we’re all playing the same tune as that hack sign gay/gal and we all pay the price by losing credibility due to an a$$hole among our ranks pretending to be a sign person.

When are you people gonna learn how these dimwits and half baked hacks are ruining a dying industry because they don’t want to know the correct procedure anyway. If they truly cared, they’d learn their trade before they play make believe sign maker.

Spot-on Gino. :signs101: :thumb:

cdiesel

What Gino said. We all started somewhere. Doesn't mean we undervalued our products and time.

I actually told a client the other day that "just needed a coupl-a stickers" that we're not a sticker shop. We're a sign & graphic company. Big difference.

Jthompson Designs

I have to take the order, bs with the customer, receive the file, make sure it is ok to print, add cut lines, check color profile and possibly convert, fill out a work order, make a file, send the job to the rip, load correct material, rip file, print file, have the finished print sit somewhere for 2 days, unload material, there is wasted material making room for the crop marks, laminate, extra laminate for the extra space of the crop marks plus even more waste fore and aft if you are using an actual laminator for such a small piece, time to reload and setup sheet, back to the rip and cut file, unload job, weed, trim, updating work order, calling or emailing to say that it is ready, write invoice, meeting and bs with customer when they pick up, explain how to hinge a 24" sticker to customer, give them a cheap squeegee, collecting and or running credit card, paying credit card fees, giving them a receipt, depositing their payment...

I wanna make this into a sign in our shop for customers to read, you mind if i barrow it LOL GREAT POST :wavingflag:

Dave Drane

This actually started as a response to another thread and some things I see going on in my town and on here at 101. Decided to post it as a thread instead. It started as someone talking about making a 2sf print/cut decal, it also caused me to attempt the longest run on sentence in history.

I can't believe what people will do a one off anything for a few dollars. I have a minimum, 1 custom sticker like that is going to cost lets say $65 It doesn't matter what the material costs. I have to take the order, bs with the customer, receive the file, make sure it is ok to print, add cut lines, check color profile and possibly convert, fill out a work order, make a file, send the job to the rip, load correct material, rip file, print file, have the finished print sit somewhere for 2 days, unload material, there is wasted material making room for the crop marks, laminate, extra laminate for the extra space of the crop marks plus even more waste fore and aft if you are using an actual laminator for such a small piece, time to reload and setup sheet, back to the rip and cut file, unload job, weed, trim, updating work order, calling or emailing to say that it is ready, write invoice, meeting and bs with customer when they pick up, explain how to hinge a 24" sticker to customer, give them a cheap squeegee, collecting and or running credit card, paying credit card fees, giving them a receipt, depositing their payment...

I am sure that I have left tons of stuff out and that isn't even taking into account standard overhead like lights, advert, legal, acounting, rent, taxes, material, ink, equipment depreciation, phones, paying for all the jobs that get screwed up or not paid for or bounced checks, the holding costs of your inventory...

This is all assuming that the file was really ready for print and that nothing goes wrong. If we think that 5 decals really costs any notable amount more to make than one decal we are fooling ourselves! I tell customers that 1 of whatever might cost $65, two for $80, 5 for $110... 1,000 business cards might cost $100 but you wouldn't sell 10 for $1

I know that this is just going on and on but I am really tired of seeing people giving away work and destroying so many small businesses in so many different fields. I don't care if you work out of your moms basement or a huge high tech shop, a decal has value, price it at what it is worth. If your overhead is low than your margin will be larger, you will also do less volume. If your overhead is high, you will charge the same, have less margin and make up to it in volume and efficiency. Many are in this business because they are creative people or some just know how to run a printer, whatever the case we are in business, act like it. If you really want to do it as a hobby and give away your work than actually give it away. I would have much more respect for that.

Do quality work that shows the difference and value between a professional and a customer produced job and charge for it.

I am not a big shop or the best sign maker but I aspire to be. I don't care to be the cheapest price in town nor necessarily the most expensive, I do however want to make an honest living, proud of what I do and add to this industry.

(Totally made up, hypothetical prices so don't give me any crap about them)
I will get off of my soapbox now but in closing, a banner in a small shop does not cost the price per sq foot of material and ink. Let's say just to use a number that the true cost is a hypothetical $4 per sf when you include ALL of your costs. We can sell 100 banners at $4.50sf and try to keep the doors open while using all of our time that could be better spent selling or producing high end product or we could make 16 and a half banners at $7 per sf making the same profit with 16.5% of the time, materials and wear and tear. We could spend some of that extra 83.5% of the time that we just created designing something to be proud of and developing relationships with our customers. The rest of that time could be used for actually making a profit.

We are not China and their business model is not going to work for us here, that market is already being served. Why don't we do something that adds instead of takes away?

My preachy 2 cents, only my opinion but it drives me crazy and I wanted to vent.

So true! This is one of the besat postys I have seen here for a while. It needs to be polled and book marked.:goodpost:

crewchief97

paying credit card fees, giving them a receipt, depositing their payment... :goodpost:

Forgot the part about paying the bills and the help!!!!!

Jon Aston

:goodpost:

I can't disagree with Salmoneye's assessment, or with the many supporting comments in this thread... but I have to play Devil's Advocate.

It's important to consider the potential/real lifetime value of a client (all of the business they do, or can do with you... plus the value of referrals they can bring)... in addition to considering the transactional value of the opportunity at hand.

If you have a system for qualifying and quantifying your opportunities with a client - and you have a strategy for developing the client's lifetime value - then it's not necessarily wrong (or misguided) to lose money on a single transaction.

Maybe some food for thought.

crewchief97

I have been in business for almost 37 years and learned long ago that a customer shopping on price alone, no matter how long the relationship, will drop you like a hot potato. The best way to keep and lure new business is to offer A$$ kissing service and superior products. There will always be someone that will do it cheaper, but will they do it right. Pride yourself on being the best there is and make a fair wage for money invested.:wavingflag:

artsnletters

Ya know roys…..

unbelievably:goodpost:
Tim

Mikeifg

Good post, No matter what your always going to run into the Cheapest In Town morons out there. We've gone into another direction and are getting back to what makes us money and not trying to be everything to everybody.

Si Allen

Jon ... I have to disagree with you!

After 44 years in this business ... if you give in to Mr Cheepie, in order to get his business ... the next time he comes back, and you trie to raise your price ... he will have a hissie fit and want an even lower price!

As was said earlier ... quality and service will get you a reputation that will keep customers coming to you!