• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to charge???????

Joe Diaz

I wouldn't change my prices unless I thought it was necessary as for cost of time the sqft price has that factored in it for a certain minimum. After the qty surpasses the minimum the price will be determined by cost of material and time. The price will go down after all of that is factored in.
Huh? But how do you arrive at your hourly rate? Did you pull a number out of a hat, are you basing it off of what others are doing, or have you figured out how much you need to be making in order to make a living and see your business grow?

Shops are going to be different. That's why asking what everyone charges online, without specifics, may be counter productive. We, for example, have gotten to a point where worrying what others charge, won't help us. We know our prices are higher than a lot of shops out there. We can't really do too much about that though because we can't lower our prices to compete and still see our business grow. So we find other ways to compete.

That being said, what you could do is pick up a subscription to SignCraft, and get their pricing guide, and see how you stack up compared to that. But you really should figure out your overhead.

Oh and I don't make signs in a garage.
I didn't say you did, but you may be asking others that are based out of their garage, how much they charge, since those types of businesses are on this forum too. So if you, who aren't based out of their garage (not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with that), who would most likely have a higher overhead... are trying to be price competitive, you might run into some problems. You see what I mean?

Joe Diaz

Alright, I still can't get a handle on what you're doing, but use the search button and look for Fred's breakdown on pricing. It is probably the single best thing this place has ever seen or heard about pricing structure and how to go about it.

:goodpost: yeah that was a good one.

jokingscroll

Thanks for the replies. Ok let's try a different approach
I have Qty3 24" x36" posters I order from a company online I bring them to your shop what would you charge me to laminate with a textured lam and mount to gatorboard?

Mosh

Can I pile on? Jubus! Go letter your cousin's "race car" and leave the sign making to us....

Techman

I wanted to compare my price to everyone else to know where I am at. Knowing other people's prices lets you stay competitive. Prices were determined by cost of material and time.

What every one is saying in a round about way..

You do not charge a price according to any one else's rates./ You charge what you need to make a living plus some profit according to Your own local area. All that plus no one wants to post prices in an open forum. Good luck..

Mosh

This is an open forum? I am printing right now, I print 70-80 housr a week. "ChokingScroll" or what ever your name is I meant you should just letter stuff "fur" your cousin's race car and leave sign-making to us professionals....

jokingscroll

Well see that makes sense now you directed a conversation to me instead of just spouting of random nonsense comments.

My reply. First my screen name is Jokingscroll you misspelled it. Second housr is spelled "hours" hopefully you proof read all you signs before you print because I can see you suffer from a mild case of dyslexia. Third i if you are a "Professional" like you say you are then we wouldn't be having this conversation MR.Pro

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
SignCraft publishes a sign guide every year. That would be a good "starting place", but ultimately your costs and profit margin must be based on your own hard data.

JB