• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What to charge???????

Techman

I wouldn't change my prices unless I thought it was necessary as for cost of time the sqft price has that factored in it for a certain minimum. After the qty surpasses the minimum the price will be determined by cost of material and time. The price will go down after all of that is factored in.

All of that is nonsense if you price your work according to the value added to the total piece of work. Selling work by the pound is nothing more than selling a commodity. A commodity has a value set by the next lowest price. That is dumb when we are doing custom work. We cannot price by economies of scale when we do each job as a special order. If you sell your work by the value it brings then price of other peoples work has hardly any meaning.,

jokingscroll

Also you said that it is dumb to price "custom work" because it has no set value. So what I am hearing you say is that you get a job in from a customer they ask for a quote you tell them it is "custom work" so you can not price the Job until completion because it custom and you cannot gauge your time material cost...ect
Is that correct?

Techman

Also you said that it is dumb to price "custom work" because it has no set value.
wrong, go read it again.

And go study some economics and understand about the world of business.

Joe Diaz

Also you said that it is dumb to price "custom work" because it has no set value. So what I am hearing you say is that you get a job in from a customer they ask for a quote you tell them it is "custom work" so you can not price the Job until completion because it custom and you cannot gauge your time material cost...ect
Is that correct?

No what he is saying is it's not wise to set your prices as if you were selling a commodity. A commodity is a GOOD which is in demand but has no qualitative difference to like goods in that same market. So if you believe the buyer sees no difference in quality, they will always seek out the lowest cost, and you will have to have lower prices to compete. In this industry that's low and won't leave you much room to grow as a business, a lot of sign shops that do business this way close down early.

However if you were selling a SERVICE where you create a custom product... well then there is a difference in quality, so you can compete in other ways, like better service, better designs, longer lasting signs, etc. In this case knowing what others charge isn't as important... Knowing how much you need to make to not only stay in business but to thrive, is.

Why not post in a open fourm? What are you worried about?
Honestly, I can't speak for everyone here, but I'm not worried about you knowing what others charge. We're simply trying to help you. If you think you have it all figured out and you are going to set your prices based on what others are charging, go for it. In a few years there will be one less shop to "worry":rolleyes: about.

CP Signs

Nicely put Joe. I am told often that I'm more expensive. But people love my service and attitude and I always tell them to compare apples with apples.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I understand a little bit better now what you're trying to do.

Are you really a sign shop ??

• You can't produce your own graphics
  • You don't have inventory of any of the substrates you mentioned
  • You don't seem to know anything about business in general
  • You have no clue as to anything pertaining to the sign world
  • You are acting like a spoiled little brat.... asking the same question over and over and over and then calling us out for not playing your way in your sandbox

First of all, if someone came to me with some prints and asked me to affix them to a piece of gator, I'd tell that person to go back to where he got the graphics and have them finish the sign. We're not an assembly plant. For crying out loud, you could take your 3 prints to a second grader and let them do it with good results..... and they don't have a laminator.