• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

where to start?

ck

As you can see this is my first post so i'll start by sayin hi to all!
I have been making signs for the past 16 yrs, started out with a few quills and some one shot. Being totally computor illiterate at the time I finally got the nerve to buy a computor and plotter. i was amazed at what a tool i had purchased...but I have been stuck there for about 13 yrs now and my business has become very stagnant.
I am wanting to get a digital printer but i have no clue as to where to start. I feel more lost than I did 13 yrs ago.
I live in a small town and didn't feel like a printer could be profitalbe around here. But now i feel it is time to make a move and get one or find another line of work. I just don't know where to begin.
I know this is a very broad question but if any one could help it would be appreciated.
I thought i would start at learning the software. I have never used anything but signlab, but was told by a supplier that flexi is better for dp.
I have never used adobe or even corel and there are so many versions i am stuck before i even began...HELP PLEASE
thanks in advance,
CK

hi from NC.... do you have many requests for digi prints? asking because if your getting afew here and there maybe sub them out for now. if your getting asked all the time and you know you can sell them all day long then yes, invest in a printer. you'll see on this forum alot of discussion on whats the best printer to buy, it depends on space, budget and what you want it do do. we have a gerber edfe fx and a roland vp540i...both different kettles of fish, but great at what they do.

SignManiac

What is your main body of work? Signs, vehicles, logo design, stickers? You say stagnant, are you capable of getting into dimensional work? Are you a one man shop, work from home, where you want to go from here might make a big difference on what you should do right now. Buying a printer alone may not help you in the least at this point.

ck

I am a one man shop.
I do alot of signs (alumalite 4x8s and such), banners, truck lettering, a sandblasted sign here and there.
Just ready for something new. I feel like the sign world is passing me by.
I don't really get all that many requests for dp but it is getting more often and I am seeing it more in my area.
Seems like I need to either learn to swim or sink.
Just don't feel comfortable investing the kind of money it takes to get into it not knowing a darn thing about it.
I found this forum and thought it would be a good place start my research.

laserman70

Welcome to the board.
Like said above. There are a lot of good people here that can print things for you. It is a large investment, we bought ours used and started that way.
Look at the merchants section and give a couple of them a call about outsourcing the printing.
Hope this helps..

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There are three separate aspects to the transition you are considering.

1. Learning to design for print and to use the software needed.
  2. Learning to produce the graphics.
  3. Learning to install the graphics.
My suggestion to you is to start with step #1, outsource #2 and see how you do with step #3. That will serve to keep your investment more manageable, allow you to focus on good design, and create profits before you make major investments in equipment. You might want to consider investing in Adobe Creative Suite so you have one of the most widely used packages for both vector and image based designing.

You'll find lots of members here that can guide you as you learn the software and installation, as well as a number of Merchant members who can provide you with top quality service for the production end until you're ready to bring that part in-house.

ck

thanks Fred thats kinda what I had in mind...learning the software first.
If I can't handle that I'm toast anyway!
Glad to know there are folks on here that can do printing for me.
So the Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Standard is what I need?
I wasn't sure if I should get Photoshop or Illustrator or the whole shebang.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
thanks Fred thats kinda what I had in mind...learning the software first.
If I can't handle that I'm toast anyway!
Glad to know there are folks on here that can do printing for me.
So the Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Standard is what I need?
I wasn't sure if I should get Photoshop or Illustrator or the whole shebang.

Illustrator and Photoshop are the two essentials. Acrobat Pro is highly useful. The rest of CS5 depends on what you want to do. So you'll save a bit just starting with PS and Illy. If you need any of the others later then you just pay a little extra.