• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Which way do you go................... ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is not a design or layout question but directional question for layout/design.

We're doing quite a few name ryders for several real estate companies at the moment. We've always done them with the flutes running up and down on a 6" tall x 24" wide ryder, unless otherwise specified.

We have a customer who we've been doing work for for some years and they get grommets in the ryders. Both metal and Cor-X. Today, we asked them if they minded which way the flutes go and they said no, not at all.

Other than some old fashioned reason for aesthetics, is there any reason they can't run either way ?? Like strength or wind tearing at them ?? These all get grommets and wire tied to the metal 3/4" black frames frames. These never get used with flimsy step stakes.
thanks..............
Gino

OlsonSigns601

Since we would use a 24" x 18" Coro Blank, the flutes would go up and down.

Pricing is generally a yard sign price and they get 3 signs for the price of one yard sign.

I would say if they have a request to have the flutes go left to right, its going to be priced as a sign which would be much more.

Structurally, I don't see what the difference would be. Its going to be just as flimsy and cheap not matter which way the flutes go in my opinion.

tsgstl

I always try to make the flutes run the longest direction unless a stand using said flutes is needed. 6"x24" isn't going to run into much resistance but technically since the grommets are most likely on the top outside I would have flutes running left to right so the support is given to the grommets.

But..... 6"x24" in my shop are going to be dictated to pieces of scrap I have.

If your cutting from stock both measurements will work out well with sheet goods

Baz

We just did a batch with horizontal flutes and I cursed the whole time. Next time I'm doing vertical because I hate cutting with the flutes!

Do you not have a coroplast knife?

For riders i would do them vertical ... If a good gust of wind hits them with horizontal flutes then it will bend and be forever limp.

Since we would use a 24" x 18" Coro Blank, the flutes would go up and down.

Pricing is generally a yard sign price and they get 3 signs for the price of one yard sign.

I would say if they have a request to have the flutes go left to right, its going to be priced as a sign which would be much more.

Structurally, I don't see what the difference would be. Its going to be just as flimsy and cheap not matter which way the flutes go in my opinion.

^ I don't think that answered any of Gino's questions lol! He's talking about the "riders" or banners or whatever they're called....not the actual 18" x 24" sign.

Actually, he answered the question completely. Not sure how you missed that, Pat.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nah...... if you put the word 'SEX' in the title, Fred will delete it.

...........after he reads it and takes out the pictures........:ROFLMAO:​

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Check the prevailing wind direction and set the flutes to allow the wind to pass through the openings......

wayne k
guam usa

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We print signs with horizontal flutes all the time (btw we don't charge more for either flute direction). Generally, if a sign is going on a centered post, you want the flutes running parallel to the ground to keep the sign from being bent around the post like a taco in the wind.

As for yield it matters if you're cutting them out of a 4x8 sheet, but I in our case we bring in coro from the factory with both flute directions at no additional cost.

Tony McD

On riders I usually try to have the flutes running with the 24" for strength, but don't think it really matters when they are going in an angle iron frame. They are trapped by the frame on one side, and secured in four places.
Just made two sets a couple weeks ago for C21. Only had some vertical flute black 18 x 24's to cut them from...so the flutes were with the 6". But they were going in an angle iron frame so I don't think it matters.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
95% of the signs we make are real estate signs. We have seen in the past that the riders can bend and form a crease if the flutes run vertically. We always have them run horizontally for strength reasons.

Tom Dalton

I asked this question to our corrugated plastic manufacturer. They said to run the flutes vertically. They said that is preferred so that condensation drips out of the sign. Otherwise (in a damp environment) you could end up with dark horizontal streaks where mold has grown or dirty water is held in a flute (assuming the coro is light colored and there is some translucent quality to the material).

-Tom
SignsDirect.com

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:thankyou: for all the answers. It was just a question if someone knew of a specific reason of doing them one way over the other and other than Tom's [Merchant Member], I see no reason for concern. The dripping makes sense, but I'm not gonna worry about that.

My main concern was to use up more scraps around the shop. We did an entire job of around 160 ryders, 50 directionals and a bunch of custom worded ryders. They all had the flutes going the 24" way.

For what they cost, I can't see a problem.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
t
I asked this question to our corrugated plastic manufacturer. They said to run the flutes vertically. They said that is preferred so that condensation drips out of the sign. Otherwise (in a damp environment) you could end up with dark horizontal streaks where mold has grown or dirty water is held in a flute (assuming the coro is light colored and there is some translucent quality to the material).

-Tom
SignsDirect.com

That's interesting. I never thought about that, but I have never seen a moldy yard sign either.

Tim Aucoin

Um, what's a ryder? :covereyes:

I don't do much real estate work. If I were to take an educated guess... I would say that it is a smaller sign that somehow adheres to a larger sign? Like a realtor's name, or "SOLD", or something along those lines?
If that's the case, I don't think it matters which way the flutes run... the average person won't care (aesthetically)!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Back in the 70's that's how we spelled it. It's something that just stuck with me. The same thing for Shocard. Kinda like Backlit. There are many terms mispronounced or spelled wrong..... and I just go with the ones I like or remember.