• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who is the old guy with the brush in his hand?

TimToad

Had a customer come in last week with an old Chevy pickup wanting it hand lettered with his already created logo inspired by the old nose artists who painted scenes on the noses of warplanes. He had tried one of the "wrap" shops in town and they kept messing around with his logo and he finally gave up and called us. The lesson learned is, your ego if unable to really "hear" what your client wants above the din of what you "want" to design for them WILL cost you jobs at some point. We don't have to stop trying to educate and enlighten our customers about good design, but sometimes they really just want us to do what they want.

So, today I broke out the quills and went at it. He just picked it up, loves it and he let me know his contracting company needs lots of other conventional work done all the time and he has lots of vintage and hot rod car buddies who will see the truck and undoubtedly feel good about knowing there is still a brush pusher with a steady hand around. Yes, that is a fiberglass banner rod wrapped in tape as a mahlstick. LOL I just couldn't find my mahlstick in any of the boxes I hadn't unpacked from the move.

Great White Garage.jpg Tim goes old school.jpg Great white garage rear.jpg

OldPaint

i belong to a car club ..............and being the only guy around who can swing a brush.....does make it nice......when you got a pre-70's vehicle........PAINT is the only process that works. most of these guys "show" these vehicles. in a serious "show", points are DEDUCTED if these old vehicles have vinyl on them!!!! points added....if period correct. this is one of those "customer art" do not change it.requests....all paint...

Attachments

• COREL 078.jpg
    COREL 078.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 113

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
TimToad
That looks good and fits the application.

wayne k
guam usa

Old Paint
do they deduct points for odd letter spacing?

Z SIGNS

Nice work !

Took me a few minutes to figure out what was strange in the photos

Never really saw a southpaw swinging a mop.

Again nice work

Keep strokin it.

Craig Sjoquist

Good going, truck looks good & ya work on it makes look period looking also.

All I do is hand letter here & many a sign painters are still around swinging a brush & many new younger people are picking up on it& learning through school or workshops held all over.

Many businesses are now going back to hand painted also yes vinyl does have it's place but a hand painted sign presents a excellent image with good design skills.

Sipn painting is not fading away it really is the preferred choice

sardocs

There is something about working on old trucks. Putting paint on 'em just feels good. Here is one I did a few years back.

Attachments

• oldchevy tailgate.jpg
    oldchevy tailgate.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 119