• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who owns the Logo?

WestCoastMapGuy

Recently I did a vehicle decal job for a customer, then posted the pictures on the website. Down the road I got an email for another sign shop informing me that posting that picture on my site is dishonest because I didn't create the logo, he did. He asked that I remove the picture from the site or give him a credit.

The customer owns the logo and I never represented that I created the logo. Can people weigh in on this subject as I think some designers believe they own artwork when they are paid for it. I have run into a few designers that refuse to give up the customers vector logos because they drew them?!?!

Pat Whatley

If your customer owns the logo then the other shop has no claim to it....provided your customer actually owns it. Customers are good at thinking they own their artwork when they really don't.

If you want to keep the peace, though, remove it or just put a tiny "customer supplied logo" disclaimer under the picture. You don't have to do it, it's your call.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Since you only represented the installation part and didn't have anything to do with the designing of it, I would say take it off.

I agree with the other guy. Whether or not your customer has the rights to the logo in question.... you are kinda misrepresenting that on your site. I'm sure you have your own work you can display and shouldn't need someone else's work on your site.

To be totally fair, if you need to keep that on your site.... I would put a caption under it stating the name of the sign shop that created it and give them full credit... or remove it. To me, this doesn't fall under the description of who owns the artwork or not, but the image you are creating by posting someone else's work on your site without proper recognition. To me its a principal type of thing.

threeputt

Since you only represented the installation part and didn't have anything to do with the designing of it, I would say take it off.

To me, this doesn't fall under the description of who owns the artwork or not, but the image you are creating by posting someone else's work on your site without proper recognition. To me its a principal type of thing.

Agreed.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I've run into similar - it had not really even crossed my mind. We also do contract installation work and in the past had shown some of the photos of it on our galleries http://www.sl-digital.com/galleries.php

I've since removed them and will, when I get the time, simply add another gallery category tab specifically called contract installs and put those photos in their own category. That way I'm showing our part of the work without implying that we created the materials or design.

And yes - for now I'd take it down or at least state specifically state what you did or did not do. Sort of a tough one though - the customer supplied the logo, why shoudl you care or mention that you did not design the logo? Hald my bigger clients supply their logos - people sort of might guess that I did not design Coca Cola's logo for them and that maybe we just produced and installed their bus ads.

WestCoastMapGuy

OK This is ridiculous! What your are saying is...Every job I do I need to find out who drew the logo in case I post it on the web and and offend someone????

I have draw a few hundred logos and give them to whoever needs them. The logo, if paid for by the customer, is the customers to do with what they want. If you do a job for Honda, do you find out who drew it to give them credit. Have you ever seen an ad in the newspaper with a credit on who designed the logo?

Pat Whatley

OK This is ridiculous! What your are saying is...Every job I do I need to find out who drew the logo in case I post it on the web and and offend someone????

I have draw a few hundred logos and give them to whoever needs them. The logo, if paid for by the customer, is the customers to do with what they want. If you do a job for Honda, do you find out who drew it to give them credit. Have you ever seen an ad in the newspaper with a credit on who designed the logo?

Man, you're getting that worked up because you're not getting the answer you wanted. Why'd you bother asking....just do what in the heck you want.

Billct2

Gray area....
Westcoast has a valid point...I did the local GM dealers trucks and vans, should I not include them in my portfolio? I've done fleets that have used the same logo since before I was born, can't use them either? How about the local branch of a franchise where I built & installed the sign, can't show that either?
There's no implication that the logo design was original.
Captions with description of the job & materials are a good idea, but instead of saying "Design by others" I would do the reverse and mark those jobs that are original with "Logo and Design by My Sign Co"

Gino

Premium Subscriber

All the time. :noway: Plus magazines, billboards, trade brochures and just about any professional medium where professionals hang out.

Hey WestCoast....... you're the one that came here looking for answers. Just because you don't like 'em, doesn't mean they're ridiculous.

Most people here that think you should remove it, probably think you're ridiculous for doing something so dumb and not giving credit where it's due.

I take it, you think it's alright to commit plagiarism and then get pissed off when someone actually takes the time to explain to you that you're doing something wrong and honestly is trying to help you. By your standards, you can just put anything on your website and hope people will think you did it from head to toe.

I'd be interested in seeing this wrap you did and then looking at a few of your own. Could you possibly produce this wrap in question and say..... two or three of YOUR very own designs and applications ??

:thankyou:

RJ California

I don't think you need to credit the other sign company by name. Just mention in the caption that the customer provided the logo.

WestCoastMapGuy

OK I am humbled. You're right Gino, not the answer I was looking for and I will comply. The job wasn't a wrap, but just their logo on a car door. I never claim to design the logo, just the installation and capabilities. I sit with tail between my legs.

cmaxdesigns

I am with Westcoast on this one. That is silly to think he should not post his work on his website even if another individual created the art. What if all he does is installations, should he have no gallery? If indeed he says he created the art and it was not his creation that is unethical but I am assuming the gallery does not say artwork created by Westcoast. I would leave it on there unless the client wants it removed.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer

I personally do not think so, but if you are giving the impression that you designed the logo, a "CUSTOMER SUPPLIED LOGO" caption may be in order, I think in this case, it's not gonna hurt to add a "LOGO DESIGN BY-----" if you are asked too.

I have draw a few hundred logos and give them to whoever needs them.

First, Don't give them away, second, if you do, you may want to rethink your policy and retain your "Rights of Promotion"

The logo, if paid for by the customer, is the customers to do with what they want.

This may be YOUR policy, it ain't the law. If you truly give the client all rights, it MUST be in writing.

If you do a job for Honda, do you find out who drew it to give them credit. Have you ever seen an ad in the newspaper with a credit on who designed the logo?

This is probably a case where asking for forgiveness is probably better than asking for permission. but realize there can be consequences going into it.
:corndog::corndog:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Oh and another thing, having just visited your site, if you do have a few hundred logos designed, you might want to feature that work...

MikePro

layout, production, install.... check. i say its ok to post it on your site. next thing people will be complaining that they're not getting credit for creating the fonts used in your artwork. should adobe get credit on your website for generating the layouts? should the guy that washed the car get credit as well?

they were paid for their work, and as long as you're not using the logo as an advertisement for logo design... you're in the clear.

they can still use that logo in their own portfolio of design work. you're advertising your product and your application, he's just being a weiner.

GoodPeopleFlags

People visiting your site will assume that you did the artwork as well, which you didn't. So, post a caption stating what you *did* do. "Here is an example of truck lettering we installed. The customer provided the logo, we reproduced it and installed it."

inthesignbiz

Sounds like the competition are being whine bags.

We have several pictures of vehicles and signs that we did not do the logo for.
They are merely representations of the final product.

We do, however, have a logo page of stuff we did create.

From time to time, I see some of our creations on vehicles and etc. that we did not install.

It chaps my hide, no doubt.
But, I am far too busy to call and whine about it.

I guess it would depend on how "jerky" you want to be about it.