• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Who owns the Logo?

tcorn1965

Huh?

I have realized here that there are 2 issues; 1/Legal 2/Moral I will do the moral thing and change my website (time permitting) to reflect the fact that I don't design the logos or anything else for that matter, rather that the site shows the installations.

I will add the "Customer Supplied Artwork" to everything not created my me. All I wanted was general consensus and I got that and more. Thank you.

I am sorry. I don't see that, I see pictures of other peoples artwork on a brown background. What did you do the install on, wood?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I am sorry. I don't see that, I see pictures of other peoples artwork on a brown background. What did you do the install on, wood?

Nice call :thumb:

Hey WastCoast..... here's all you need and make sure it appears on every page of your site.............
vital signs disclaimer.jpg

Edserv

There are so many laws regarding photos, logos, trademarks, copyrights, etc, I guess what it really comes down to is how potentially "pissed-off" the defender is, and how much time/money/legal time you have to defend against a "pissed-off" defender.

You have to pick your battles. Good luck!

RobbyMac

I think the problem here is... if a graphic artist, or ad agency developed the logo you wouldn't have gotten an email, because you are not in direct competition with them.
However, in this case, another sign shop created the logo...
It would be courteous to remove it from the site imo.
The artist retains rights to all work he/she creates, unless they transfer rights to their client. And even then, they would need to transfer ALL rights, or had a work for hire agreement. If they did not specifically transfer copyrights in whole to the client, then they still retain authorship of the logo. Assuming that your shop offers logo design services as part of your business, it would appear misleading.

weaselboogie

I don't think it's a matter of who actually OWNS the logo. Its a matter of claiming someone else's work as your own (implied or not) and not giving fair acknowledgment to the creator.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay, here's the whole thing in a nut shell.

Someone asks you to put their logo on their truck. They supply the artwork and you just install it.

ugly fairy.jpg If we were talking this on the side of a van.... would you even be putting it on your website at all, let alone taking a chance for being mistaken for designing it ?? Heck NO.

So, we choose the better looking jobs and put them on our sites and let the ugly ones alone. How many times have you heard someone say, just do it, but don't put it on your website ?? It's not a showpiece. Well, this is the same thing, but in reverse. You didn't do the original work, but you want to take credit for the wraps, lettering jobs or installation on the better provided artwork. It just so happens, you didn't do the design work, but you know anyone looking at it will think so. Without giving credit for those who actually originally created something..... it seems more like stealing, without being causght, so I guess you're really only borrowing it until you get causght and then say..... :Oops: I did not know this was an issue. Nice cop out, but still the low road. At least the OP here has changed things to read properly and has chosen the high road in this situation. Coveting your neighbor's artwork might be the kinda idea behind this. :rolleyes:

Marlene

the customer bought the artwork, the other shop agreed that the customer owned it. unless you posted that you designed the job, I don't see why this other shop feels it has the right to ask you to pull the photo. if it is posted as an example of a wrap or vehicle lettering, then it is what you are showing, not an example of art work created. if you showed a Coca-Cola truck or a Verizon truck that you lettered, it would be the same.

add "logo design by others" to the photo. I sure wouldn't give this pinhead any advertising on your page.

sardocs

Wait a minute Marlene, before you call me a pinhead, I am not the one who started the thread, but I did the design in question. I first handlettered these two designs on vehicles and equipment in the early eighties. When we got our 286 powered sign cutter we redesigned it for airbrushed vinyl. Now I print them digitally, but maybe because I value my design skills I might not be the cheapest source of decals in town anymore. It's on 30+ vehicles in a small community only accessible by ferryboat. If they appeared on the OPs website with a number of other jobs he did I might have let it go. I just mentioned to him in a private email correspondence that I thought it was misleading seeing as they were 2/3 of the entire collection. I didn't post it on S101 to have him bashed, or to be called a pinhead. By the way, you still need to fix the typo in your Stuart McLean quote.:wink:

MikePro

sardocs, apologies for calling you a weiner.
i meant nothing by it besides taking the OP's word for it that he might have been mis-treated. Seeing the website, and your response, has lead me to wish to retract my name-calling :)

cheers! :toasting:

briankb

Premium Subscriber
We had this issue a few years ago. We did the design work for a wrap and had another company, we visited and trusted, do the printing and installation. A few months later I was on their site to find an email address and I see the completed vehicle on their main page as their pride and joy. They made no mention of our company doing the design and it wasn't to show off the installation. I think it's fine to use a logo or whatever you need to represent your work or your participation in a job. When we posted pics of the finished car we captioned and linked to their site.

Seems common sense and just the "right thing to do" to provide the appropriate acknowledgements and credit. If you don't like the other company then just make it a generic as previously suggested.