• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Why Outdoor Signs are turning black

Lately I have noticed outdoor lighted signs with translucent signs becoming blackish, like burning out.

What causes this? Is it no uv protection or the laminate not a uv protector?

gabagoo

3ml with 3ml laminate will look like they have a fungal infection attacking them. Not sure how a cast film with laminate fairs....hopefully a few years longer.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
It's why I use cast translucent cut vinyl when I can... I try to at least push a customer to figure out how to make the sign without needing to print...it will only benefit them when we can double/triple the life of the sign.

rjssigns

Vinyl going bad is what makes them look like that.
Only way to make them last is to paint second surface on clear polycarb then spray translucent white flood coat. Learned that from an old time sign guy I worked with from time to time. He did a lot of backlit work, some of which is still in my neighborhood over 20 years later.

The rare backlit panel I need gets subbed out now, but it's still second surface on clear with white flood.;)

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Vinyl going bad is what makes them look like that.
Only way to make them last is to paint second surface on clear polycarb then spray translucent white flood coat. Learned that from an old time sign guy I worked with from time to time. He did a lot of backlit work, some of which is still in my neighborhood over 20 years later.

The rare backlit panel I need gets subbed out now, but it's still second surface on clear with white flood.;)

We like to do that way as well when the client is using clear polycarbonate or similar.