• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will the real DeSoto please stand up.....

Sergio DeSoto

This is the first time I have ever posted on this forum although I have spent a good amount of time reading the many posts regarding certification, catalogs, cowboy hats and graphic design.

Never the less, this post is not intended to justify my actions or career choices for the past few years. I will leave that up to you to form an opinion on, it is so much more intriguing that way.

Most of you know I am back in the shop again, for those of you who don’t know I have accepted the position of President at Arizona Color. For those of you who know me, will understand that I never really left the shop I just took an extended field trip and am proud to be hanging with Jim in a core shop that lives and breathes wrapping!

As president of Arizona Color, a UASG certified company I have a whole new responsibility to make sure that the shop is positioned well and the membership of any certification is valuable to our business.

That being said. I have been privy to a barrage of emails being sent back and forth on the topic of 3M Certification for the installer. Now please read this entire message before you get all upset and throw you animated popcorn on the floor and start copying and pasting and quoting and what not.

Like anything else what I am about to say is strictly my opinion other than where i noted and left up to intelligent argument. I say intelligent because that is all a matter of perspective when it comes to any forum.

Fact: Testing an individuals competency is the only way to validate or insure that individuals ability to complete the given task. There is no arguing this point, it is what it is. Those that have passed the test given at the Lowen Center have in-fact proven their ability to install vinyl. Nothing anyone can say can take this away from them. Nothing More, Nothing Less.

Fact: The UASG has provided a much needed service of holding shops to a higher standard of business thus avoiding fly by night operations, or at least by having passed the business end of the UASG process you have had some semblance of running a good business.

Yes everyone has an agenda, 3M , Lowen, UASG and me and so on. There is no secret here, to get upset about that is infantile. 3M has stock holders and needs to sell more vinyl, Lowen has a huge amount of install work they need to execute and a desire to have a competitive edge and btw if you don’t like what they are paying, as I have seen in other posts, do not work for them, but don’t whine about it and UASG wants to covet and protect the work being handed to them from 3M. OK, Can you blame them and if you did, does it really matter... I would hope not. and lets not forget me. I just want to look pretty in magazines..

Opinion.. Just so we are all clear.

There are many people that are upset because 3M has a new certification that is geared toward testing the individual and is not grandfathering people from the UASG in. There may be some underlying political reasons that I am not privy to that are causing the UASG members to get upset, but why. I personally tested Mike Tovar from Blue Media and that boy can install, no problem, no need to be grandfathered in as a matter of fact, he would not want to be grandfathered in. He's got character and to much pride to let anyone hand him anything he has not earned.

Now a reduced fee or fee waived from 3M may be appropriate for existing UASG members... Just my opinion. (I believe Lowen is offering this)

If you can install then what are you worried about, take the test and stand proud you have proven your ability to do what is needed for their new testing.. No big deal.

I am also aware that many people are upset that Lowen has an exclusive agreement to be a facilitator for this testing.. All I can say about that is this. Matt Lowen was smart enough to tie it up first. End of discussion, you cant get mad about that... Next time you think of it first and you can have an exclusive. Do you know how many people invented the bad wrap.. every trade show there is at least a dozen..

What needs to happen:

Ok, get your quoting button or what ever it is you use to try to discredit someone on here ready because I am about to tell you what I think.

Does the word Certified mean anything? I would hope that most people would understand that it does and does not. It does if you use it to generate income for yourself. It does not in the sense that the end user has not been marketed to regarding the value of using a certified installer. I personally think it could mean much more if some one would use their organization to market wraps and their cert program to the end user, but hey what do I know.

In my opinion, I think that the UASG should focus on growing/ adding credibility to the installation business by enforcing and keeping a high standard of doing business. It has become apparent over the last several years that many UASG companies have taken their title for granted and not enforced the installation methods governed by the organization to their underlings. This does NOT mean that the UASG as a whole is this way I would surely suspect it is limited to a few rotten apples.

The UASG should in my opinion work on forwarding our industry by providing a collected front with issues like standards in pay, health insurance, warranty claims, help in coordinating national work etc.

What would it hurt for them to focus on the business end bringing up the bar and acting as an advocacy group, similar to the dairy farmers association.. you know the drink milk commercials, how about a get a wrap commercial payed for by the UASG - from member funds so we all benefit..

3M has made up their mind in regards to their program and no amount of whining --- I say whining loosely because whining backed with action, well thats a different story- is going to change that. What makes the most sense is for the UASG and 3M to work together even if the UASG has to give up the install portion of their certification and adopt the new one 3M has put into place.

I say this unless 3M gives you a reason not to, some people may want to choose how they respond to concerned UASG members with a bit more intelligence and put a little thought into correcting this situation as opposed to pissing off a collective group of 3M end users whom if they banded together would put a sizable dent in 3M sales.

3M is a 900 pound gorilla and for all intents and purposes had provided the industry with the best consistency and quality from a manufacturing stand point bar none. However you still write the po’s for your shop so you do what you think is best for you.

I do know that if 3M is going to create any type of national pull through program they will need boots on the ground. This should be good for the entire install/print community if done properly. We will all have to sit back and watch then make a determination..

And believe me I will be watching.

The bottom line is this, if the industry is going to grow and become mature we need to mature as a whole. Is certification the answer to that? Who the hell knows, its something.. Its gonna take a whole lost less bitching and moaning and a whole lot more of people getting active and doing something to get it there..

Is there a solution here, I think so. Its another one of those counter intuitive things I am always talking about. Its going to take some savvy business people representing the industry as a whole as well as communication with the manufacturers. Someone may have to eat crow to get it done and if they are strong leaders they will do what it takes for their members and our industry. I know thats what I would do if I was in charge.

Or not. Maybe the manufacturers do not need to be involved and maybe we have all leaned on them just a little to much? Now Mac Tacs on the wagon with a cert program and Arlon is selling short rolls for the same square foot price as a big roll, for those of you who dont get that, it enables some one to spend a quarter on the material costs, because they cant afford a full roll, this will really help the industry?? Not! Lets hope mutoh does not follow suit with a 2500 printer.

Food for thought anyway.

Either way something needs to happen and we all need to get off center.

As far as the testing at Lowen, it is hard, it is honest and at the end of the day its a good thing for the people who pass.

As far as wrap experts is concerned, well Ill let you all decide that one.

**Disclaimer** I can only speak to what testing was being done at Lowen, while I was there. I know that Sean is honest and very capable of administering a respectable program. What happens after I am gone is not my responsibility as it is beyond my control unless Lowen so chooses to get me involved as for now that is not the case. If the program changes and is not held to the highest possible standards, believe me I will let you all know.

On a final note.. I am back in the wrap shop because of 2 things, 1 I love Jim McClure and 2 I know for a fact, bad economy or not, I can make money here.. And yes this was by choice, and just because I am back in the shop does not mean that I will be on the side lines. I will get involved, open my mouth and stand up for what I believe in, no matter who it pisses off.

I have invested the last 12+ years of my life understanding the wrap business now my education is well rounded as I have seen facets of it most will never. I am ready to see it mature and stand on its own.

ps when is cappy gonna be allowed back on the forum?? LOL

Respectfully,

Sergio

Oh and hate mail goes to sergio@de-soto.com ------ :)

mountainmang

i don't see certification in ANYTHING as a bad thing :thumb: i get all the certifications and endorsements i can because they are nothing more or less than selling tools that demand a premium price.

Joe Diaz

Welcome aboard Sergio. I don't know too much about wraps, or I should say we don't focus on that market, so most of your post goes over my head... But I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say. I'm sure your experiences will help people on this forum like me. So I hope you will stick around.:thumb:

Sparky

Thanks for standing up - we have the same thoughts about a handful of things, and I for one, am glad you got it out in the open.

Good luck in your past/new role!

well welcome first of all.

I agree there are lots of issues that need to be addressed to make steps towards professionalism in the industry.

What frustrates me are all of the back handed inuendos you have methodically place in your post that discourage anyone from standing up having a different opinion or standing up and challenging yours...break out the popcorn, quote and discredit me because i'm going to tell you what i think...left up to "intelligent" argument and then to talk about the maturing of the industry...

give me a break.

cptcorn

adad
Thanks for the thoughts Sergio... I know there's -a lot- of stuff being tossed around back and forth in that UASG group email...

vid

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not a wrap guy either. But looking forward to your input and contributions.

and the return of Cappy???... ooooooooh my, you're going really going to get the pot boiling with that kind of talk - LOL

Jillbeans

Welcome from a traditional sign painter outta PA who will never wrap anything but a Christmas present.
I would like to add to the pot that most people who design wraps need some sort of a basic layout certification.
Now before someone rips off my left breast for posting in the wrap forum, I might add that I didn't see anything in the say hello section. Yet.
So hello.
Love....Jill

speedmedia

Welcome from a traditional sign painter outta PA who will never wrap anything but a Christmas present.
I would like to add to the pot that most people who design wraps need some sort of a basic layout certification.
Now before someone rips off my left breast for posting in the wrap forum, I might add that I didn't see anything in the say hello section. Yet.
So hello.
Love....Jill

Welcome aboard.

Couldn't agree more, how about a design certification program. We all know it takes a good install to get a good wrap but if it is designed like chit then it really doesn't matter right?

A lot of fly by nighters who don't have these skills are killing the industry.

Thanks,
Kurt