• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Working Efficiently and respecting shop property

cwb143

This has been bothering me lately. I've noticed our shop hands seem a bit disorganized. I'm seeing too much walking back and forth for this that and the other. Tools in different corners of the shop. These guys need a tool cart and tool belts or something I think. Seeing a lot of wasted time. So if they do that then their tools are exposed to theft. Which really bothers me. Why can't everyone respect personal and shop property? If you have any ideas or solutions to these types of issues I'd love to hear them. Thank you, guys!

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Sounds like they may need some incentive.... Music to jam too? Better lighting? More space? Have you got them together to ask them? Bored with same old job all the time? Can they change positions so they all end up knowing each others jobs?
Do they gather for donuts in the morning? May not seem like much to you.... Are they allowed to joke and laugh and have some fun throughout the day? The list is endless. Do you respect them, in order for them to respect you? Incentives?
Are you approachable?
Simply ask them.
If they are like the majority of the shop folks I have worked with, they have to have a bit of freedom, to laugh, carry on a bit, and be told they are doing good work.
I left many a job when I was young, because of too much seriousness...
I was young, and needed to be essentially free, if you will.
Just some thoughts from an old hand, who toted plywood and hand lettered everything, and actually rode hundreds of feet up in a swing seat!
Boy those were the days...

rjssigns

Look into Six Sigma for tips on organizing work cells, tools, etc... Wandering, looking for tools or anything else will be eliminated as tools and work surface are contained in the work cell. Using the 6S regimen is a component of the system. There is actually a lot more to it, and would take too long to explain in a post.

Six Sigma is not the be all end all to shop efficiency, but it gives you a solid base from which to grow.

equippaint

I had similar problems. Like rj said, 6s/5s is a great system. Ive been working on a 5s program for about a year. 6 sigma is 5s with the 6th s being safety. You just have to jump in with both feet, learn the concept, own it and be persistent with implementation. I usually dont take an all or nothing stance but with this I did. Its most effective and highly proven when used as a whole, not with stuff cherry picked.

Weve had some employee shakeups since implementation with people that didnt take it serious but its proven to be for the best. Any new hires have this stressed to them that there is no tolerance for not following the system.

cwb143

Thanks for all the inputs. I'll definitely look into all this. I appreciate all you folks here at Signs101.

cwb143

@Yankee. Yes, they have plenty of time for joking and laughing. They have too much time for the cell phones and jokes. We had to lock that down. Not much incentive right now since they got in trouble with OSHA. Kinda hard to give incentives when you're paying for mistakes. Not that we don't want to give incentives. I'd like to see better work ethic first and then joking and having fun later. Everyone is approachable at the shop they know this but they'd rather see the reward before the hard work I think. All that to say they have a lot of freedom but usually, it gets out of control. I've been in shops that we're too serious and this is not one of them. They've had it too easy.

Gene@mpls

The beatings must continue until morale improves! And how do employees get in trouble with OSHA? I kinda consider that a management task.

I saw the coolest thing at a cnc shop last week that I thought was the best idea I've ever seen to organize shop items and to streamline ordering and employee access. They had a Fastenal Tool Vending Machine that had shop supplies such as tape, bits, ear plugs, batteries, nuts & bolts, blades, etc basically every tool needed use to produce a job. This helped keep shop items in ONE place. Each employee has a code they punch in to the machine (like when you are getting a candy bar) to get the item they need along with the job # for the customer it gets billed to or if it is something like tape that is generalized it has it's own number. Anyway, it has software that keeps track for inventory/ordering purposes and it is stocked automatically by Fastenal. You can set a limit on how often or a dollar amount you want to spend so it's within budget. Even as a one person shop I'm considering it simply for organizing myself. Sure enough there's something I forget to order for a job or quote to the customer... usually installation hardware. I was absolutely amazed at the simplicity of the system. Evidently there are several sizes and the machine isn't purchased, just the software. Might be an idea to look into. Sure seems like it would take a lot of stress off everyone involved.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I saw the coolest thing at a cnc shop last week that I thought was the best idea I've ever seen to organize shop items and to streamline ordering and employee access. They had a Fastenal Tool Vending Machine that had shop supplies such as tape, bits, ear plugs, batteries, nuts & bolts, blades, etc basically every tool needed use to produce a job. This helped keep shop items in ONE place. Each employee has a code they punch in to the machine (like when you are getting a candy bar) to get the item they need along with the job # for the customer it gets billed to or if it is something like tape that is generalized it has it's own number. Anyway, it has software that keeps track for inventory/ordering purposes and it is stocked automatically by Fastenal. You can set a limit on how often or a dollar amount you want to spend so it's within budget. Even as a one person shop I'm considering it simply for organizing myself. Sure enough there's something I forget to order for a job or quote to the customer... usually installation hardware. I was absolutely amazed at the simplicity of the system. Evidently there are several sizes and the machine isn't purchased, just the software. Might be an idea to look into. Sure seems like it would take a lot of stress off everyone involved.

Interesting
FAST Solutions Vending | Fastenal

We are in the same building as a Fastenal, think I will go over an see what is involved.
Wonder if they have one big enough to hold employees?
Check them out when needed & lock them away at night so they will always be on time.

wayne k
guam usa

cwb143

I like the Fastenal Idea. Not sure if it would work for us. It looks like this vending machine is for all consumable items and as long as they come from Fastenal. However, I have a candy machine that I could convert. hmmmm. Johnny Best I'm all for fun but G'dangit get the work done and done right. Gene@mpls Jumping off a platform while OSHA is watching wasn't our idea.

hcardwell93

I put a thin line of paint on my tools and color code then by area. Red tools stay in the production area, yellow on the truck, green in the welding shop.

Tools may be borrowed from other areas but they go back where they came from. Really cuts down on time looking for tools next time they are needed.

Marlene

This has been bothering me lately. I've noticed our shop hands seem a bit disorganized. I'm seeing too much walking back and forth for this that and the other. Tools in different corners of the shop. These guys need a tool cart and tool belts or something I think. Seeing a lot of wasted time. So if they do that then their tools are exposed to theft. Which really bothers me. Why can't everyone respect personal and shop property? If you have any ideas or solutions to these types of issues I'd love to hear them. Thank you, guys!

not sure what you mean by their tools are exposed to theft. is this in your shop, not at a job site? in your shop what kind of people do you have working for you that would steal another employee's tool if he turns his back? why are they walking back and forth? are their tools stored somewhere under lock and key? are they shop tools? just asking as it sounds like you need to get to the root of the problem. our guys have their own tools and we also have shop tools like saws and such and have never had a tool theft issue. we also have our guys write out a list of what they need for a job and set up for it before starting, maybe that would help the walking around part of their day.

TimToad

If you have employees stealing from each other, you have bigger problems than whether or not a color coded system will keep the yellow tape measure in the yellow work area. Employees need to be informed of what the shop ethics are from day one and be expected to uphold them.

In most posts like this, there usually seems to be a propensity of the poster to portray the owner as exceedingly altruistic, accommodating and generous and the whole problem stems from "the help".

The problem usually falls somewhere in the middle between either hiring unqualified, unmotivated or inexperienced people to save money or an owner who either is distracted or inattentive to the structural makeup of their company. Or the owners are inexperienced themselves and hoping the inmates will run the asylum properly and they make lots of money at the same time without ever having to enforce policies and standards.

This stuff isn't brain surgery. Recurring and frequent mistakes and wasted efforts are a lack of training and oversight. You could have the most fun, lively, casual workplace in the world, but if the people in it didn't receive adequate instruction or regular oversight, that's not their fault.

cwb143

Yes, Marlene TimToad If it helps. I've taken over a mess that's already existed. Left for dead unattended whatever it's not good. I'm up for the challenge but a lot of fixing is needed and I love everyone's responses, very helpful thank you so much! We got rid of the thief I think. So we'll see if things improve in that area.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm still not clear if this person were stealing from each other or taking things home which belonged to the shop, itself. Regardless, whether they're taking blue pencils home, squeegees of rolls of vinyl, it's stealing and once found should be handled behind closed doors. One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone takes something, no matter how small, their mindset is.... well, they can afford it No matter how big or small the article is.... stealing IS stealing.

As for organization, that's a toughie. We're always bouncing a;; around and let this here or there and then when you need it, it's not where it's supposed to be. I needed to do something at home last weekend and took one of our 6 ladders home. Didn't finish it, due to the rain, so it stayed at home. Wouldn't you know, Wednesday, we needed THAT one. it.

We have many workstations all around the shop. Each one is filled with just about everything ya need except double-sided tape. That kinda stuff and certain other items have specific places, but you'll see one area start to fill up more than another, so I usually go around putting things back once a week or so. We have literally 100's of squeegees around, tweezers, picks, knives and so many other tools, but the bigger ticket items go back when finished being used.... or at least at the end of the day, like grinders, drills and electric or pneumatic tools.

Last edited:

Sign.ed

I am in the middle of forcing my shop through a re-layouting process. The owner was "emotionally tied" to the other layout as she put it, but it was HORRIBLY inefficient. The substrate rack was in the back of the store, you had to haul all your boards entirely through the production room to put them away. They had the design desk in the production room, but they didn't actually run or control any of the machines. The previous layout caused nearly 80sqft of table space to turn into storage, and had production walking all over the place to preform the most menial task.

I have since moved the design desk into another room, a little more isolated from the bustle of the production. Moved the sub rack closer to the receiving door, which puts it in the production room, who'da thunk. Rearranged the tables, not the best but getting better.