• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

WOW, as in WOW, ever have a gun pulled during a job interview????

Pat Whatley

By the way, I wasn't trying to judge you. If the guys actions in that situation made you leery you're probably pretty safe trusting your gut.

stephenj148

Responsible gun owners/carriers, leave their gun concealed unless they are out on the range (Or if someone pisses them off (jk). Never pull your gun in an office/interview setting for any reason.

I agree, regardless of how informal your interview was, that shows a bad judgment. When I got my Concealed Carrying Permit, lots of the things were that no matter what, you don't pull it out unless you intend to use it in the appropriate way. (CT is much more paranoid than Texas, but still)

anotherdog

it must be a sobering to walk around in a state where many people carry the means to kill you on the spot. The very fact that an employee was walking around with a concealed gun would effect the running of the shop. I have worked with some very excitable people in the past, who I'm sure would have punctuated arguments with bullet full stops.

I take some consolation that in Canada they at least have to work up a sweat while they kill you.

I originally came from the UK where even the police only walked around with a stick of wood. The worst you could get was a nasty bruise and a good telling-off.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
it must be a sobering to walk around in a state where many people carry the means to kill you on the spot. The very fact that an employee was walking around with a concealed gun would effect the running of the shop. I have worked with some very excitable people in the past, who I'm sure would have punctuated arguments with bullet full stops.

I take some consolation that in Canada they at least have to work up a sweat while they kill you.

I originally came from the UK where even the police only walked around with a stick of wood. The worst you could get was a nasty bruise and a good telling-off.

Yeah, also where only the bad guys had guns. Seems like a pretty good means if you're confronted by an honest person obeying the laws, but what kinda crook obeys and listens to the laws ?? :banghead:

anotherdog

Yeah, also where only the bad guys had guns. Seems like a pretty good means if you're confronted by an honest person obeying the laws, but what kinda crook obeys and listens to the laws ?? :banghead:

Western and Central Europe homicide rate = 1.5 per 100,000 people.
USA is 6.1 per 100,000 people.
Canada is 1.85 per 100,000

more guns means more murder...founding fathers intentions aside, the only real purpose for a concealed gun is either to threaten death or to actually kill.

Sorry for pushing this thread off center, but why else would an employee make you uncomfortable when he shows you his gun?

The fear that he may use it? Too many headlines about ex employees returning with a gun.

Bigdawg

Just Me
By the way, I wasn't trying to judge you. If the guys actions in that situation made you leery you're probably pretty safe trusting your gut.

This above all else. Screw what the rest of us (including me) think... if it made you uncomfortable then write him off. YOU are the one that would have to trust and work with him, so really only your feelings (and your partner's) matter.

more guns means more murder...founding fathers intentions aside, the only real purpose for a concealed gun is either to threaten death or to actually kill.

Sorry for pushing this thread off center, but why else would an employee make you uncomfortable when he shows you his gun?

The fear that he may use it? Too many headlines about ex employees returning with a gun.

As much as it's a double edge sword, yes I will carry my gun with the intention to kill if someone comes after me with the intention to do the same. But I do see that if you take away the guns, then you take away the threat. (Although I don't agree with taking away my right to protect myself)

Sorry for being a :thread

Marlene

knowing the correct time and place is important. bringing a gun to a job interview no matter what is not the time or place, period.

genericname

I don't think number of murders per capita can be squarely put on the shoulders of gun culture, as people will kill if they want to, but that there are other socio-economic issues at hand as well.

I think the old Brit attitude towards it though, is one of arms escalation; In countries where everyone's armed, criminals use automatic weapons to get the edge; in countries where everyone has automatic weapons, criminals have RPGs, and so on and so forth.

Marlene

We don't have the same gun culture here, but where I grew up, pretty much every house had rifles, and pretty much everybody hunted. First thing I was every taught about firearms was respect. Always treat it like it's loaded; never use it to point at anyone or anything, never flaunt it, never look down the barrel, etc. etc.

What he failed to do was treat it with respect. That's a big deal when talking about a weapon, permit or no.

that sounds like my neck of the woods too. you don't see a lot of want-to-be-cowboys around here. guns are just another tool and not so much a status symbol. some need to flaunt their rights, others just enjoy them

Techman

I see the anti gun lobby is hard at work here.
ITs just a tool. Just like a pen or a knife. In fact I had an ink pen what was as dangerous a weapon as a knife.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
What is bad is I've had SIGN SHOP owners take shots at me while I'm working up high 3 days in a row seen the bullets hit.
Another grease my scaffolds so I and worker slip off while climbing.
Customers pull guns out while trying to sell.
Customers bring out the dogs.

I miss that about O-town, never seen the greased scaffolds though ... I know there is one shop in Orlando that they guy shoots out lit signs so the owner has to replace the plexi and probably the lighting under it ... we replaced 5 signs in one of those flexx spaces one year because of that. Heard about people shooting at people up high though. Had a customer try to trade me his rifles to half wrap his pickup once ... good stuff. Sign shop up the way had the power cables of his genie cut by another sign shop ... also saw one of those bucket lifts with knife holes in it ... got to love friendly competition.

Here in Amarillo, the competition just tries to undercut you by over half and tells people you're out of business. Big bowl of lame sauce in comparison.

CanuckSigns

I would think a sane rational person would steer the conversation like this:

Interviewer: I love guns

Guy guy: Me too, I love my__________ It's with me wherever I go

Interviewer: Nice piece, mind if I have a look

But not being a gun guy myself, i'm not sure of the proper etiquette

genericname

I see the anti gun lobby is hard at work here.
ITs just a tool. Just like a pen or a knife. In fact I had an ink pen what was as dangerous a weapon as a knife.

You see any of those tactical pens, or ballistic pens? I am far from a weapon fan, but from the standpoint of a gadget geek/MacGuyver fan, those are pretty damn neat.

Now I'm being a real :thread

Don't know about the anti-gun lobby... we're just sharing our perspectives from our locations.

WildWestDesigns

Be careful when you start using numbers in this way. There is no breakdown with regard to gun ownership in what you posted, nor even what weapons were useresd etc for those figures. I am not saying that what you are saying is incorrect, just that what you posted in of itself doesn't quite support the conclusion based on those numbers alone. Numbers out of context can be made to mean anything.

Locals Find!

I don't wanna get this thread shut down from veering WAY off course....BUT - How do rationalize having a gun on your hip as a tool.....unless you're a cop. Seriously. I know you have the right to bear arms....and I'm not questioning your second amendment....but to me that whole thing seems crazy.

What task does this tool accomplish??? It kills people. Pens write on paper, computers simplify tasks, equipment reduces labor. Guns that are toted around on a daily basis are not tools....I would say they are the reason that other people need to "protect" themselves. I'm no anti-gun lobby nut either - I like guns as much as the next guy....but the though of everyone walking around with a piece on their waist seems ridiculous in this day in age.

If my comments are too NHB for this thread please remove them Fred as opposed to shutting down the whole thread...this is definitely an interesting topic.

People kill people, not guns. Pistols are designed for shooting people. Rifles mainly for hunting, and other sports. Lets just be clear on the definitions. The Term "Guns" is a very broad term and not being well used.

People kill people, not guns. Pistols are designed for shooting people. Rifles mainly for hunting, and other sports. Lets just be clear on the definitions. The Term "Guns" is a very broad term and not being well used.

+1 I completely agree with you, its the person behind the gun not the gun itself...

WildWestDesigns

Even if they are illegal, it isn't going to stop the bad ones from carrying guns, all that its going to do is keep the honest ones that might have carried from carrying. Guns are tools though. Even if you don't agree with the protection argument, they are tools for that and they are tools for hunting.

Fyi, I have yet to see someone carry on the hip that wasn't a cop. 6th generation native Texan, most of my family has a carry/conceal permit and we don't carry on the hip. Violent crime goes beyond just gun ownership. It makes it easier for violent crime, but making it illegal to carry/conceal isn't going to do much.

Your areas must not be rough. I've gone through some that I wish I had an anti-tank missile.

Although, I disagree to an extent about pistols designed to kill people. I have done many hunts with a pistol. Depends on the pistol.

Locals Find!

Although, I disagree to an extent about pistols designed to kill people. I have done many hunts with a pistol. Depends on the pistol.

Well, you can modify anything beyond its intended purpose or use it for other than its originally intended purpose. I mean I can make explosives out of fertilizer & diesel fuel in about 20 minutes. Not that either was designed with that in mind.

So why does every Tom, Dick and Harry need one on them at all times?

Do they really need to have the option to shoot people at any given time?

I drive through rough neighborhoods every day, and not once did I think to myself "I sure wish I had a gun on my waist right now".

My point is - If everyone wasn't allowed (and I use everyone loosely....I realize there are certain conditions you need to meet in order to pack heat)
to carry a weapon, are you telling me there wouldn't be less shootings and homicides every year?

I also realize that it isn't the people who have permits to carry these weapons that are the ones out shooting people - but to me having ALL those weapons out there is asking for trouble.

I don't carry one don't really see the need. Now, I do have friends that carry and relatives that carry. Its about choice and situation I believe.

I have worked in areas I did carry but, they were high crime areas and I was carrying lots of cash to and from the bank. In my everyday life I just don't see the need. Every situation is different. I personally like being able to have the choice of to carry or not to carry. I would rather make that decision for myself rather than some bureaucrat behind a desk that has never handled a gun making it for me. I am also highly trained in the use of rifles, pistols, and many other things that go boom (that aren't readily available for civilians to use)

Guns of all types are available because its commercially viable for manufacturers to make them. If there wasn't a desire for them well there wouldn't be that many out there legal or illegal. I don't see asking the world to stop killing each other quickly going over too well any time soon though.